The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Africa the most underrated continent or is it rightly chastised?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
JMonkey
Too simplistic.

Historically we haven't been kind to Africa exploiting it ruthlessly for its rich Gold and oil and diamond resources, I think personally it's a mixture of both. Africa would probably be in the **** with or without us, but we definitely haven't helped.

Ima vote what I thought and that is Africa is a scapegoat for the world, basically.

This. Thankfully white europeans prevented the USA of becoming another Africa by introducing great healhcare, education, morals e.t.c
Reply 61
Neo Con
This. Thankfully white europeans prevented the USA of becoming another Africa by introducing great healhcare, education, morals e.t.c

That makes no sense at all? Europe's colonial might simply made them masters and blacks slaves, that's what did it, colonialist oppression and exploitation of blacks as little more than kine. I presume that's something to be proud of too?

The non sequitur about morals, education and healthcare is superfluous, you act like there is only one moral value system on Earth.

I think you're playing with too many loose ends there to present a coherent argument.

Something tells me you are from the South. :wink: :p:

Nicely and succinctly put Apagg.
Reply 62
I think it has huge potential, with all the exciting wildlife and natural resources eg. diamonds.
On the other hand, the corrupt governments and numerous diseases, as well as civil wars, prevent it from growing any further. As well as the tough, hot environment.
Reply 63
JMonkey
That makes no sense at all? Europe's colonial might simply made them masters and blacks slaves, that's what did it, colonialist oppression and exploitation of blacks as little more than kine. I presume that's something to be proud of too?

The non sequitur about morals, education and healthcare is superfluous, you act like there is only one moral value system on Earth.

I think you're playing with too many loose ends there to present a coherent argument.

Something tells me you are from the South. :wink: :p:

Nicely and succinctly put Apagg.

Lol. No what I mean is look at the state of africa, it would have always been a dump with our without western intervention. What I mean to say is if black people were the only race in the US, it would have been another africa or like Jamaica :yes:

But luckily the whites in the US rescued them and gave them opportunites.
Reply 64
Neo Con
Lol. No what I mean is look at the state of africa, it would have always been a dump with our without western intervention. What I mean to say is if black people were the only race in the US, it would have been another africa or like Jamaica :yes:

It has noting to do with skin colour-oh wait it does.Do you think that maybe if black people had been left alone to get on with their lives they would have developed and have been just as prosperous as other nations? I most certainly do, you forget that the black people in jamaica were all descendents of slaves, the woundds they carry bring them down, black people were never given a chance to manage themselves an develop at their own pace.So let's not make this a thing about race ok?
Reply 65
Aquarian
Africa is beautiful. Go to facebook, group Africa you didn't know and you'll find some great photos of Africa. It is not beautiful, it is gorgeous and more! :smile:

true dat!!
Reply 66
Aspire
It has noting to do with skin colour-oh wait it does.Do you think that maybe if black people had been left alone to get on with their lives they would have developed and have been just as prosperous as other nations? I most certainly do, you forget that the black people in jamaica were all descendents of slaves, the woundds they carry bring them down, black people were never given a chance to manage themselves an develop at their own pace.So let's not make this a thing about race ok?

Sure it hurts you, you're from zimbabwe, and it's always easier to blame others than look within. :yes:

Fact of the matter is, Africa has been barbaric and useless since its existence, before and after western intervention. I take it whites are still to blame for Jamaica's high murder rate, lack of law, poor healthcare :rolleyes:

It was a dump before and a dump after. The only semi decent African state are the nothern arabic ones and that's cause they are not "black" so to speak. And of course South Africa thanks to it's white population.
Reply 67
Neo Con

Actually I think the world would of been a better place if we'd of left it to the Indians Carib, Soux etc. So not sure what your point is, regradless the black societies are nothing to do with Black people.

"On pirate ships they took I from the merchant ships, minutes after they took I from the bottomless pit."

Bob Marley: Redemption Songs.

Black people had no say in anything anywhere in the Carribean or anywhere else, until they became independent, and then they were inheritting one of the most corrupt and capitalist systems in the world, that of colonialism, I wouldn't expect a miracle.
Reply 68
Neo Con

Wrong. Botswana is one of the African states which has witnessed less European colonialism and intervention and, it so happens, is one of the best African nations in terms of growth, corruption, social services and so on
Reply 69
Apagg
Wrong. Botswana is one of the African states which has witnessed less European colonialism and intervention and, it so happens, is one of the best African nations in terms of growth, corruption, social services and so on

It was part of britain till 1966. :rolleyes:
Reply 70
JMonkey
Actually I think the world would of been a better place if we'd of left it to the Indians Carib, Soux etc. So not sure what your point is, regradless the black societies are nothing to do with Black people.

"On pirate ships they took I from the merchant ships, minutes after they took I from the bottomless pit."

Bob Marley: Redemption Songs.

Black people had no say in anything anywhere in the Carribean or anywhere else, until they became independent, and then they were inheritting one of the most corrupt and capitalist systems in the world, that of colonialism, I wouldn't expect a miracle.

India was under Moghal and British occupation for centuries and still developed well because they already had the infrastructure there unlike african states. They should stop blaming others for everything that goes wrong. Look at Guyana-it has an indian population and a black one. Yet the main problems are in the black community. Both communities arrived during the colonial era.
Reply 71
Neo Con
India was under Moghal and British occupation for centuries and still developed well because they already had the infrastructure there unlike african states. They should stop blaming others for everything that goes wrong. Look at Guyana-it has an indian population and a black one. Yet the main problems are in the black community. Both communities arrived during the colonial era.

They don't. You however seem to think they do so whom are you referring to?

Egypt, The Malian Empire, Carthage, Abyssinia, Zulu. Swahili. Who are you talking about here? There have been dozens of great empires on the continent. I think you need to understand the nature of Empire and the nature of an environment that is by far and a way the most brutal on Earth, that has permanent settlements. You make simple claims that don't have any regard or understanding of the nations involved. Mind you Americans don't do geography or history unless it's naming the original 13 colonies/states of the Union in my experience. Shame really, there's more to the world than maths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mali_Empire

Spoiler

You seem to have this absurd notion that before Europe turned up they were all nomadic or pre historic civilisations.

Spoiler

University of Sankhore 1327-present.
Reply 72
Neo Con
It was part of britain till 1966. :rolleyes:

Which would mean nothing if that was the same year we colonised it. As it happens, Botswana spent relatively little time under European rule and even then experienced low levels of intervention when compared to Zimbabwe et al, because diamonds were not discovered until after independence. Consequently, we pretty much left them alone because they had nothing we wanted.

I know it's easy to make simplistic comments and criticisms based on no real understanding or knowledge, but please try to refrain from doing so.
Reply 73
Neocon, I want to ask do you realise that Jesus was black? Well middle eastern at least.
Reply 74
tucker672
Neocon, I want to ask do you realise that Jesus was black? Well middle eastern at least.

Jesus was Aryan or European don't be so ridiculous have you not seen the paintings?

Some people.

Next you'll be telling me he was a semetic Jew from Assyrian or Hebrew stock and then I really will have to put my foot down. He spoke English and he was white end of. :smile:
Reply 75
JMonkey
Jesus was Aryan or European don't be so ridiculous have you not seen the paintings?

Some people.

Next you'll be telling me he was a semetic Jew from Assyrian or Hebrew stock and then I really will have to put my foot down. He spoke English and he was white end of. :smile:

oh yes I forgot:

Reply 76
tucker672
oh yes I forgot:

I can understand English obviously they are all English, but why are there so many Welsh men and women in ~30AD Judea? :biggrin:
AFAIK Africans established civilizations long before any European (no matter how European is defined) developed any science, architecture, or adopted foreign religions apart from adopting many foreign scientific, cultural and other notions.

The pyramids of giza should remind us of what Africans were doing long long time ago.
Reply 78
JMonkey
Not to watch poorly presented polemics, when real science would be a better bet. If you want that go to journals. The lay media is pretty much drivel on both sides, or at the very least wheat from chaff. The title alone says it all, no self respecting scientist would use biased language like that.

You've just described European history, well done.

Mind you its an apt analogy of EU parliament as well, with AK-47s instead of words and political machination.

Saying something can't be progressive when clearly it is but not at a pace you like is a bit blinkered.

How can you be so judgemental without even watching the documentary ?
Reply 79
Myth717
How can you be so judgemental without even watching the documentary ?

How indeed, I've seen it I was being rhetorical. It's not a good documentary science wise.

I think an inconvenient truth wasn't great either, but it was better than that shag fest. It was a bit Daily Mail, know what I mean?

That's the trouble with doing some environmental science studying you get a bit leery of media hyped journalism. It's seldom all it seems.

Latest

Trending

Trending