The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Hey Thunderstorm I'm doing Computing for Business too. Also tried to change but the business school is full... however now I'm really keen for the course as it is leading me straight into IT Business Consultancy which is what I want.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
taran
theres that confused mission which is going to be happening i think? thats when the forum lot are all meeting up i tink

Yeah, I think it's on the Saturday evening at Einsteins......
HALLLO!!
well guys im at aston atm....posting from the guild....been here for 2and half days
its ace! meet kt and ben to (ben's hair rox ^_^) lol
well i wont be able to post agn so ill just wanted to put down a bit
ok the internet is available everywhere in the accom. but u can only way for it using a credit card (online)
bring hangers!(not too many clothes u wont have so much space tho) lol...the kitchens are ok......well the hot water has been dwn should come bk soon but its not a biggie.one thing i did wanna say is its not a big deal if u dint get any pack or u dont knw wots where....once u get here ur just gonna get into the grove.the place reaaally rox...so cya all on freshers week...the aunties are amazin...the place is cool....so chill =p
ps.dony worry abt not bein in the accomodation of ur choice...u honestly dont spend so much time there.
adzguest
Hey Thunderstorm I'm doing Computing for Business too. Also tried to change but the business school is full... however now I'm really keen for the course as it is leading me straight into IT Business Consultancy which is what I want.

what course did u try to change to? i just maybe wanna change to combined hons but 1) they probably wont let me and 2) i dont know if thats realy any better for me anyway. i want to maybe do consultancy too, it does look like a good degree for getting a job so i'll probably end up doing it. just a bit frightened about the 3rd year huge project but thats 3 years away if we do placement :smile:
hey y'all,

yes the forum meet up is on saturday but for those of u who are international and got here a week early meet me and phil in einies at 8pm tonight (tue) so u don't all fell wonley.......

Kt
xx
Reply 705
thunderstorm
what course did u try to change to? i just maybe wanna change to combined hons but 1) they probably wont let me and 2) i dont know if thats realy any better for me anyway. i want to maybe do consultancy too, it does look like a good degree for getting a job so i'll probably end up doing it. just a bit frightened about the 3rd year huge project but thats 3 years away if we do placement :smile:

I'm pretty sure every degree course has a huge project at the end mate?

I tried to change it to Business and IT or something like that, so practically the same thing just more business but the school was full. No biggy... most career types accept any degree and with a title like Computing for Business I can pretend there's more business than there is if I want :wink:
Reply 706
just wondering.

another internet question. for ensuit is it purely wireless or is there an ethernet socket on the wall of the desk which will allow you to connect to the net using a wire instead of a network card.

and are you lot going to take food with you when moving in or you lot just going to buy from there?

oh and are you lot bringing your medical cards for enrolment or have you lot filled out that purple form. im abit lost with that. does your gp have to fill that purple form aswel?

i think i should really start to pack now. havent started!
me neither im quite disorganised right now. i have sorted out insurance for possessions (well if filling in the form and posting it with the money counts!) i have got some boxes but thats it. i dont know whether to take saucepans, etc as dont know what everyone else is doing. it seems silly for everyone to take them but i dont wanna be a freeloader. im going to just wait till get there and then go out and buy them in bham if i need them (which i probably will!) saves a bit of space though as i dont have any to bring anyway. just taking plates etc and knives forks.

not going to take any food no, go food shopping once there.

i dont know about that medical thing yet. havent sorted that either" lol
astonbitch
hey y'all,

yes the forum meet up is on saturday but for those of u who are international and got here a week early meet me and phil in einies at 8pm tonight (tue) so u don't all fell wonley.......

Kt
xx

oh man.. im going to be lonely im not getting there till sunday :frown:
can u do a meet up on sunday as well?
Reply 710
RE Internet Query
Taran, The internet in ensuite accom is wireless broadband. You have a phone socket and you can i believe get 56k dial up if you wish but i think it is done by the minute so very expensive and outdated. There is no ethernet connection point.

Its probably best you buy a few things on the day you move in rather than troll over to brum with lots of food taking up space. That way you'll also know how much room in the kitchen you will have.

Hope this helps,

beN
Reply 711
beNcooKe
RE Internet Query
Taran, The internet in ensuite accom is wireless broadband. You have a phone socket and you can i believe get 56k dial up if you wish but i think it is done by the minute so very expensive and outdated. There is no ethernet connection point.

Its probably best you buy a few things on the day you move in rather than troll over to brum with lots of food taking up space. That way you'll also know how much room in the kitchen you will have.

Hope this helps,

beN

About the internet, can we have a card installed now or do we wait until we get to uni and then they install a card there?

If we can get it now, where from and what is it?
Reply 712
im gunna be taking a little bit of everything - kitchen stuff, food, clothes and then buy whatever else i need when i get there
Reply 713
yea thats what i was thinking too. but i dont wana have to shop for the first couple of weeks. weell apart from food.

oh yea forgot to ask aswel. what about insurance for rooms. whats your lots costs come up to. im thinking of getting insurance.
Reply 714
RE the card thing - you provide your own wireless card or USB adaptor. I found out today that you can buy the USB adaptors for £17.50 from the uni computer shop on the fourth floor.

Insurance - it totally depends on the value of the stuff you bring. My insurance costs **** loads but then again i have a lot of electrical gear and expensive clothes that bring my premium up lol

beN
Reply 715
anyone about to leave to meet in einies - einies is closed, go to the sacks

beN
Reply 716
i wonder just how many of those cards the uni shop could possibly have......
Hey here's a nother good question:

Parking at Aston for student's: Is it a) free, b) not free c) non existant d) Should I buy a Rail/bus/rail+bus card for the 28th?
Reply 718
c)

wouldnt bother with a card, where are you going to go? Aston is central as central can be.
Reply 719
you'll have difficulty if youre a student expecting to park on campus, in the centre of birmingham in business hours. madness. Aston does not allow students to park on campus and theres limited free space for it near campus.

Come in by rail / bus.

Re wireless cards - The Computer Shop has plenty of Wireless adaptors/cards , i asked lol

Latest