The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I RAN OUT OF BLOODY TIME. I rushed like the madd on the section C question.

However, it was a nice paper and I think my section A + B were relatively strong (I hope).
Reply 21
in the middle i put was an occlusion.

Hm... I put it was the middle of a depression as it had all the characteristics Ie. Drizzle, steady winds and more that I can no longer think of.
Reply 22
I did the Ecosystems (Q3 I think) question in Section A, and felt like I answered that really well.

In section B I did the Globalisation question (Q6 I think?), and answered that quite well with loads of case studies, but the structure may have been a bit crazy.

In Section C I did the Biodiversity question (Q7), and part a was really good, as I was able to use loads of my own knowledge as well as the detail from the source. I answered part b with only about 15 minutes remaining, so I didn't manage to conclude it properly, and that will be my weakest answer.

Overall I thought the questions were good. I never ran out of things to write or case studies to use and included an intro and conclusion to every question (except section C part b). I was writing 2.5 pages for the 10 mark questions, and 3.5 pages for the 15 mark questions. My writing is medium sized I think.
Reply 23
taheki
I did the Ecosystems (Q3 I think) question in Section A, and felt like I answered that really well.

In section B I did the Globalisation question (Q6 I think?), and answered that quite well with loads of case studies, but the structure may have been a bit crazy.

In Section C I did the Biodiversity question (Q7), and part a was really good, as I was able to use loads of my own knowledge as well as the detail from the source. I answered part b with only about 15 minutes remaining, so I didn't manage to conclude it properly, and that will be my weakest answer.

Overall I thought the questions were good. I never ran out of things to write or case studies to use and included an intro and conclusion to every question (except section C part b). I was writing 2.5 pages for the 10 mark questions, and 3.5 pages for the 15 mark questions. My writing is medium sized I think.

Wow thats quite a lot of writing.
I can remember writing 4 pages for the section A question and i think about 3 ish for sections B and C.

However i do have smallish handwriting lol :biggrin:
rye225
Yeah you had to choose between either volountary or forced migration and assess the benefits of both. Either was in bold.

You'll definitely get credit though, but i think the max you can score is 8.

SO by ISSUES was all they meant benefits? I included ways of managing international migration :frown:
Hated it. Nothing I did detailed revision on came up - e.g. development gap.

What score do we need for each grade?
Joe-91
SO by ISSUES was all they meant benefits? I included ways of managing international migration :frown:

I was also very pissed off that the development gap didn't come up, although in the end I thought section C was good anyway.

Also, Flavity was concerned she had ticked the wrong question numbers - im not sure I even filled one in, is this really that important?
Reply 27
ilikepiesandstuff
Hated it. Nothing I did detailed revision on came up - e.g. development gap.

What score do we need for each grade?

The ums conversions are really low for this paper. I can only remember what I needed which is a C = 42/80 for 60%!
The average is about 55/80 for an A, 51/80 for a B and around 47 for a C. Though the boundaries have been as low as 51 for an A.
Reply 29
Lets say that its roughly 55/80 for an A on this paper.
That makes it 68.75 % for an A
I did questions 1, 5 and 7. This is how I thought it all went:

1 (a) (the resource question showing the changing conditions of a depression). - I completely screwed up this question. I ended up just doing an intro defining a depression and then three paragraphs for each of the three separate stages. The problem was, I didn't actually link it to the fronts and I just went on some long ramble. I recon I'll be lucky to get 5/10 for this question.

1 (b) (the question about extreme weather events) - did better on this one, and this question was the main reason I chose to do question 1 altogether. I talked about El Nino, 1987 hurricane, Towyn floods and the 2003 heatwave. I made a few points about how extreme weather events can have good and bad points, but mainly bad points.

5 (a) (two maps showing emigration and immigration) - this was alright, I answered the question but my answer felt a bit short and simplistic.

5 (b) (voluntary/forced migration) - I chose voluntary and did OK with this question. I think I focussed a bit too much on Poles to England though.

7 (a) (the question about the threats to ecosytems) - completely flunked this question. The resource was just so messy and had so much information in it and I ended up going on a long ramble with no structure.

7 (b) (the question about organizations and how they have managed the threats to biodiversity) - I basically regurgitated an answer I'd done in class for this question which wasn't great in the first place.

Overall, it could of gone worse and it could have gone better. Section B was pretty nice, but section A and C could have had nicer questions.
Reply 31
Grapevine
1 (b) (the question about extreme weather events) - did better on this one, and this question was the main reason I chose to do question 1 altogether. I talked about El Nino, 1987 hurricane, Towyn floods and the 2003 heatwave. I made a few points about how extreme weather events can have good and bad points, but mainly bad points.

DAMN EL-NINO! :eek:

Lol i knew i forgot something! I managed to include the great storm of 1987 and the summer heatwave of 2003 and i started talking about how 14,000 people died in france because they were ill prepared because doctors were on vacation lol
Flavity
I thought section C was horrible to be perfectly honest, had to rely on GCSE knowledge which was a going a good 3 or 4 years back

As for not putting an X at the top for Q. no. I don't think it matters too much, as long as its clear what number your answering on the paper i.e you've started writing the answer like: 5) Voluntary migration blah blah blah..

Also.. did you manage to stick in your beloved pro/anti-natalist strategies? :p: I liked the migration question best in that section so ignored population! :rolleyes:

NO, I didn't - all the things I revised in detail for didn't come up - I really had to improvise in the exam. All i used was China's one child policy on the population/ resources balance Q.

Can someone confirm if international migration management e.g. Australia's point system will get marks in the ISSUES question?
Reply 33
I took the risk of not doing revision for Weather/Climate - it didn't pay off as question 3 was a nightmare.

Thought that the census one was a godsend. My examples were crap in the "how would the government/business use the census data" - I wrote things like "Waitrose would use census data to look for affluent locations for future stores" and "Governments can use the data to plan for retirement homes".

For section C I chose the resources/population one. I really couldn't think of any resources policies though - so relied on KS3 knowledge of WW2 ration books! Hopefully I made it up by mentioning pro and anti natal population policies.
Im Never Going To Question Predict Again.
Reply 35
xxAndrewxx
Im Never Going To Question Predict Again.

i guess you do have to be kinda lucky

i hate ecosystems and biomes and am totally hopeless in getting my head around them so i stuck with weather and climate; and the questions which came up for weather and climate were actually do able and quite approachable.

So i guess its just luck
Even the ones I predicted were weridly written and scared me.
Reply 37
I did 3, 5 & 8. I thought it was a relatively straight forward paper tbh.
I think it went well actually. I did all the middle questions (so 2, 5 and 8). On depressions/extreme weather events, migration and the human impacts/balancing of resources and population.

Does anyone who did the extreme weather events question find that it would've been better suited to the hazards paper? I think I included a case study that I used in the hazards exam in this one.

I also managed to mention the CAP in the balancing of resources/population one :woo:
Reply 39
God I'm screwed :frown: :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending