The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What is traditional British culture, and does it exist?

Scroll to see replies

Rinsed
The problem is that a lot of people see British culture as a sort of default culture. They then measure a unique culture by how different it is to what they find normal, so British culture seems non-existent to them. This is, of course, a ridiculous way of doing things.

A the most basic level, culture is the way we live our lives. It is reflected in our language, behaviour, customs and festivals. I had a German exchange student over recently, and he was infuriated by how needlessly polite everyone was over here, for instance. Also our food, drink, sport and even how we payed for things in the pub was often different. These are all examples of how the way we live each day is different to even another northern European country, so of course our culture exists. Our traditional culture are just aspects which haven't changed much in the last hundred/thousand years or so.

I'm fairly certain our culture has changed fairly massively since the 19th Century, never mind the 13th.
Andy the Anarchist
I'm fairly certain our culture has changed fairly massively since the 19th Century, never mind the 13th.

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make (which is rather my fault, I think I put it across fairly badly, but never mind).

I fully acknowledge that our culture has changed massively over even a short period of time, I was just trying to say that much of our 'traditional' culture is merely aspects which have changed little.

I was certainly not denying that our culture has changed a fair bit since the middle ages.
Reply 22
Rinsed
You misunderstood the point I was trying to make (which is rather my fault, I think I put it across fairly badly, but never mind).

I fully acknowledge that our culture has changed massively over even a short period of time, I was just trying to say that much of our 'traditional' culture is merely aspects which have changed little.

I was certainly not denying that our culture has changed a fair bit since the middle ages.

At the same time much of what people think of as 'traditional' culture is newly invented, such as much of the ceremony and dress associated with royal occasions. Indeed these kinds of cultural practices have sometimes been specifically constructed to appear 'traditional' (i.e. appear to be much older that they really were).
Quick question, how long does it take for an item or institution to exist before it qualifies as a "tradition"? Or is it simply that something is "traditional" when it is acknowledged as such.
Traditional British culture is an amalgamation of those standards, ideals and ways of life which have been defined by a consistent trend across the last 1000-2000 years - and those things which can be defined as exclusively 'British' (i.e. fish and chips, local pub, Union Flag etc.). It's ridiculous, however, to claim that current notions of diversity and multiculturalism are traditionally British concepts. They're not. People who claim they are base it on this fantastical, nonsense point of British "tolerance" (which is simply a liberal copout to seemingly rationalise the fact that multiculturalism is failing, and is detrimental to British society and culture). I just don't understand it. There are barely any cases where you could say Britain has been more 'tolerant' than any other nation. The obvious fact that the older generation these days are generally xenophobic simply demonstrates that 'British tolerance' is a freakish, fallacious notion. Britain ruled a quarter of the Earth's surface - imposing stringent controls on, and frequently repressing, its subjects. Where was this so-called 'tolerance' when Protestants and Catholics were at each other's throats, burning each other at the stake for two centuries? Where was this 'tolerance' during the Boer War, with implementation of the first concentration camps? I'm actually finding it difficult to think of any occasion where the British population have been 'universally tolerant'. Think of the booings of Ardiles and Villa during the Falklands War. Think of the cynicism towards the Irish during The Troubles. Think of the sustained Francophobia that's essentially characterised British culture for a thousand years. If there's anything which characterises traditional British culture it is not 'tolerance'.
SKY3 - BNP wives is on. You can tell the stance the journalist took. Not a very subjective documentary.
robbo3045
SKY3 - BNP wives is on. You can tell the stance the journalist took. Not a very subjective documentary.

It's about a hundred years old as well. It hadn't been on the telly for ages until after the European elections. :p: I wonder why. :holmes:
necessarily benevolent
Traditional British culture is an amalgamation of those standards, ideals and ways of life which have been defined by a consistent trend across the last 1000-2000 years - and those things which can be defined as exclusively 'British' (i.e. fish and chips, local pub, Union Flag etc.). It's ridiculous, however, to claim that current notions of diversity and multiculturalism are traditionally British concepts. They're not. People who claim they are base it on this fantastical, nonsense point of British "tolerance" (which is simply a liberal copout to seemingly rationalise the fact that multiculturalism is failing, and is detrimental to British society and culture). I just don't understand it. There are barely any cases where you could say Britain has been more 'tolerant' than any other nation. The obvious fact that the older generation these days are generally xenophobic simply demonstrates that 'British tolerance' is a freakish, fallacious notion. Britain ruled a quarter of the Earth's surface - imposing stringent controls on, and frequently repressing, its subjects. Where was this so-called 'tolerance' when Protestants and Catholics were at each other's throats, burning each other at the stake for two centuries? Where was this 'tolerance' during the Boer War, with implementation of the first concentration camps? I'm actually finding it difficult to think of any occasion where the British population have been 'universally tolerant'. Think of the booings of Ardiles and Villa during the Falklands War. Think of the cynicism towards the Irish during The Troubles. Think of the sustained Francophobia that's essentially characterised British culture for a thousand years. If there's anything which characterises traditional British culture it is not 'tolerance'.

I think you're missing the extent to which British culture is essentially informed by multiculturalism, and that many of our habits, be they in dress, musical taste, or cuisine, are informed by the very multicultural aspects of the UK you claim are "failing".

I agree that tolerence isn't an especially British characteristic, but that's more because tolerance of other cultures is a recent phenomena, made a necessity by globalisation more than anything.
Andy the Anarchist
I think you're missing the extent to which British culture is essentially informed by multiculturalism, and that many of our habits, be they in dress, musical taste, or cuisine, are informed by the very multicultural aspects of the UK you claim are "failing".

I agree that tolerence isn't an especially British characteristic, but that's more because tolerance of other cultures is a recent phenomena, made a necessity by globalisation more than anything.

My point behind twenty-first multiculturalism failing considers the point that Trevor Phillips has made over and over again that instead of social integration we're left with inner city ghettoes and a refusal on the part of ethnic minorities to adapt to British values. It differs considerably from previous multiculturalism in that the various influences of the past have been of a Saxonic, Germanic, Frankish, Scandanavian and Celtic manner. All of which developed in accordance to the conditions and population characteristics of Western Europe. Today, multiculturalism involving those from the Middle East, Africa, China etc. consists of cultures and populous which have developed in completely different geographic, climatic, and ethnic conditions. It's certainly more a case of clash of divergent cultures instead of the usually compatible nature of Saxon, Celt etc. That's not to say that there weren't clashes of culture - of course, there was unprecedented discrimination towards Britons by the Saxons. These were, however, due to the fact that they didn't know anything beyond defending what were essentially tribal interests.

And yes. 'Tolerance' is a recent phenomena. But for people like Mandelson and Red Ken to say that it's an embedded British ideal is cringeworthy.
necessarily benevolent
My point behind twenty-first multiculturalism failing considers the point that Trevor Phillips has made over and over again that instead of social integration we're left with inner city ghettoes and a refusal on the part of ethnic minorities to adapt to British values

Again, I don't know if you could define "British values" and find a set that every indigeneous Brit agrees to. And whilst a lack of inter-community dialogue is a problem, I don't personally believe people have a duty to associate with others if they do not wish, provided they abide by the law and harm no-one else.
Andy the Anarchist
Again, I don't know if you could define "British values" and find a set that every indigeneous Brit agrees to. And whilst a lack of inter-community dialogue is a problem, I don't personally believe people have a duty to associate with others if they do not wish, provided they abide by the law and harm no-one else.

As I said above. I believe traditional British cultural values are those things which have been shown consistently throughout the past 1000-2000 years (e.g. monarchy), as well as those things which can be considered distinctly British (e.g. local pub). It's obvious that every indigenous Brit wouldn't conform to them, but that's not necessarily the point. The point is about 'traditional British culture'. Traditions are sometimes forgotten and simply not used any more - usually due to the fear of them seeming anachronistic or barbaric (e.g. beheading). There's no doubt that they still exist on a general basis however. People are still, generally, supportive of monarchy. People are generally supportive of democracy. The main point also is that although Britain is now, on the whole, a secular nation, we adhere to Christian cultural values. It's difficult, therefore, for those who have not been affected by Christian cultural values to adapt. Some may argue that this lack of responsibility on the part of other cultures to integrate means they should not be here in the first place. Because, let's face it. When you have miles of particular towns occupied by a particular group - of alien cultural values - that becomes colonisation, not a mere case of migration.
necessarily benevolent
As I said above. I believe traditional British cultural values are those things which have been shown consistently throughout the past 1000-2000 years (e.g. monarchy), as well as those things which can be considered distinctly British (e.g. local pub). It's obvious that every indigenous Brit wouldn't conform to them, but that's not necessarily the point. The point is about 'traditional British culture'. Traditions are sometimes forgotten and simply not used any more - usually due to the fear of them seeming anachronistic or barbaric (e.g. beheading). There's no doubt that they still exist on a general basis however. People are still, generally, supportive of monarchy. People are generally supportive of democracy. The main point also is that although Britain is now, on the whole, a secular nation, we adhere to Christian cultural values. It's difficult, therefore, for those who have not been affected by Christian cultural values to adapt. Some may argue that this lack of responsibility on the part of other cultures to integrate means they should not be here in the first place. Because, let's face it. When you have miles of particular towns occupied by a particular group - of alien cultural values - that becomes colonisation, not a mere case of migration.

Don't pull that one on me, please, it's patronising. The Church is as much shaped by culture as by anything else, and the current manifestation of Christianity is more a domesticated form which has arisen as a response to enlightenment values of individual liberty and equality, which aren't actually Christian values in the slightest, given that Christianity was used as an excuse for hierarchy and virtual slavery for the best part of a millenium in the UK. Incidentally, most "Christian values" were borrowed off the Greek and Roman societies in which they arose, further confirming my later point that cultures are fluid.

I think you over define people by culture, and you fail to acknowledge the extent to which cultures can alter as a result of contact with others. Christianity became more moderate as a result of its exposure to enlightenment ideas, and I believe that contact that cross cultural dialogue will, over time, result in other cultures becoming more moderate. Defining them narrowly by their culture and denying that they will ever integrate is the surest way to ensure that they never will. You underestimate people's capacity for change and the extent to which cultures are not homogenous and largely malleable.
Reply 32
Christianity was once an 'alien' religion to Britain of course, not to mention a religion from the middle-east (like, um, Islam). Christianity today is a movement where ethnic mixing is pretty usual, even prominent in some denominations, and the major institutions of Christianity in the UK today, the Church of England and the Catholic Church, both strongly reject the racial ideology of the BNP. :yep:

AFAIK fish and chip shops date from the 1860s and today they have to compete with some very popular takeaway alternatives; pizza, indian, chinese, kebabs being the obvious ones. Culture changes, 'traditional' cultural practices have origins and endings (are easily subject to change) and their origins are often pretty recent.
Andy the Anarchist
Don't pull that one on me, please, it's patronising. The Church is as much shaped by culture as by anything else, and the current manifestation of Christianity is more a domesticated form which has arisen as a response to enlightenment values of individual liberty and equality, which aren't actually Christian values in the slightest, given that Christianity was used as an excuse for hierarchy and virtual slavery for the best part of a millenium in the UK. Incidentally, most "Christian values" were borrowed off the Greek and Roman societies in which they arose, further confirming my later point that cultures are fluid.

Oh yes. There's no denying that adherence to scripture is selective. I'm not even saying that the church effects culture. That's beside the point. The point is, right, that, regardless of whatever manifestation so-called Christianity takes the form of, there's been a general trend of certain values - which have been given the label "Christian" - that have essentially characterised British culture over the past 1000-2000 years. Even Dawkins accepts that he is a "cultural Christian" in that he has been societally conditioned by a nation that has developed its ideals in accordance to whatever doctrine (even a secular one). It's merely a case of labelling really. There's a strong difference between cultural Christianity, and the Church. The point is that these values have developed - regardless of their origin - and I can't see how an alien culture can integrate without adapting to it.

Andy the Anarchist
I think you over define people by culture, and you fail to acknowledge the extent to which cultures can alter as a result of contact with others. Christianity became more moderate as a result of its exposure to enlightenment ideas, and I believe that contact that cross cultural dialogue will, over time, result in other cultures becoming more moderate. Defining them narrowly by their culture and denying that they will ever integrate is the surest way to ensure that they never will. You underestimate people's capacity for change and the extent to which cultures are not homogenous and largely malleable.

I'm not really sure where this how point of "moderate" came up. It's not really a case of that (although there are serious problems with regards to fundamentalist Islam). It's more a case of incompatibility. And it's not only Trevor Phillips and I who say that they will never integrate; it's an obvious case that, on the whole, they do not intend to integrate because their cultural values do differ, and, yes, although they are malleable, unless they are willing to enter into a dialogue then there's little point. Also, when a certain culture is defined by a religion which denies contact with Christians - in other words 'Westerners' - (and occasionally goes as far as postulating terrorism) then they are certainly less malleable.

Oswy
Christianity was once an 'alien' religion to Britain of course, not to mention a religion from the middle-east (like, um, Islam). Christianity today is a movement where ethnic mixing is pretty usual, even prominent in some denominations, and the major institutions of Christianity in the UK today, the Church of England and the Catholic Church, both strongly reject the racial ideology of the BNP. :yep:

Okay, I don't see why that's at all relevent unless you're one of these Marxists who are more obsessed with the far right than their own ideals. And are you saying that the CoE/RCC's word makes something right? My other points on Christianity are above. There's a distinction between cultural Christianity and the Church.

Oswy
AFAIK fish and chip shops date from the 1860s and today they have to compete with some very popular takeaway alternatives; pizza, indian, chinese, kebabs being the obvious ones. Culture changes, 'traditional' cultural practices have origins and endings (are easily subject to change) and their origins are often pretty recent.

Fish and Chips are a distinct British "symbol", unlike pizza (Italian/American origin), Indian (obvious), Chinese (obvious), Kebabs (across Asia). Cultural changes don't negate the fact that there is a distinctly British traditional culture. :confused:
Reply 34
As far as Christianity is concerned I'm simply identifying how it came from the middle-east, just as Islam has. As far as the cultural life associated with Christianity is concerned this has varied, but today Christian culture is strongly, both socially and ideologically, in clear conflict with the values of the BNP. Other than that, what specifically is this non-Christian 'cultural Christianity' supposed to be composed of and how is the criteria determined?

That fish and chip shops didn't exist prior to the 1860s is evidence that this now 'traditional' culture associated with British life had a recent and novel origin, historically speaking. By the same token the chinese or indian takeaway has flourished (even country towns and larger villages across Britain often have their own chinese or indian takeaway!). These things have thus generated a tradition within British food culture too; to deny this would simply be moronic. Picking how long a cultural practice has been part of British life in order for it to become 'tradition' has an arbitrary quality; the now 'traditional' (even outmoded) working-class two-week holiday in Spain didn't emerge until the 1970s and the 'tradition' of watching the Queen's speech on TV every Christmas couldn't have happened prior to the widespread presence of TVs.

Latest

Trending

Trending