The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is it ok to beat up criminals?

Let's say you catch someone in the act of crime (any, from theft to rape), or someone tries to commit a crime on you (attacks you, rapes you).

Would it be ok to beat him up?
By "beating up" I mean dealing more harm (or punishing) than would be required to stop him or self-defend yourself.

Legally? Philosophically?
Reply 1
I'm 99% sure it's legal
Reply 2
Well the police seem to get away with it...
Reply 3
Attacks you, you can because of self defence.

Attacks somebody else, not sure but you probably can.

:smile:
Reply 4
Mr Snips
I'm 99% sure it's legal

Legally you're only allowed to use reasonable force , if you killed that person for example you wouldn't be able to plead self defence if you used excessive force.

I believe Tony Martin caused alot of controversy when he was convited for shooting an escaping burgular in the back .

I'd pimp slap any criminal that tried to enter my house. That would shame them into never commiting crime again.
Maybe for the latter, certainly not for the former as I'd have no idea about what he might have hidden up his sleeve.
Have you ever heard of something called 'mob justice' ? It very common in the African continent where people have lost faith in the police due to corruptiopn and bribery.If a thief/robber/murderer is caught,the public administer instant 'justice'.I have witnessed alot of them whereby the culprit,mostly violent robbers are severely beaten(with stones,metal bars and other crude weapons) then put in tyres and eventually dowsed in petrol...then set alight.The police only go to collect the ashes.The police are totallyuseless sopeople have decided to take thelaw in theirown hands.Is it right/wrong ? I don't know,but what would you do if you are constantly attacked by violent criminals who buy themselves out of jail when they are arrested ?
Reply 7
Yes as long as its reasonable, thief some damage not lethal damage, rapist as much as you can do. A guy who nicked a crisp packet from a shop not acceptable
Of course it's not, and nor should it be. Self-defence is legal. Beating someone up after they are incapable of harming others around them is a criminal offence, and so should it be. We have something called Rule of Law, we don't live in a society where victims meter out vigilante attacks on criminals.
I would disagree with unnecessary violence on principle. Whether that would actually hold in practice...
I don't think there is a definite answer for that question;rather subjective.As we all know the laws in this country are too lax to even deter criminals from committing crimes.If a person commits a selfish and serious crime e.g rape,violent robbery etc they should be severely beaten before been handed over to the police to discourage them from repeating it in future.
Overground
Of course it's not, and nor should it be. Self-defence is legal. Beating someone up after they are incapable of harming others around them is a criminal offence, and so should it be. We have something called Rule of Law, we don't live in a society where victims meter out vigilante attacks on criminals.

I dread to think if I saw some chavs attack my brother's dog. I'd probably hospitalise them if I'm being brutally honest. Sometimes vigilantism is brought about because either the law is not enforced or the punishments for committing said crimes are considered not harsh enough. The Rule of Law is a nice concept but I doubt we have one in practice if details were looked into more closely.

Latest

Trending

Trending