The Student Room Group

Refraction/ total internal reflection

Ok, so when light goes from a fast medium to a slow one it bends towards the normal, and when it goes from a slow medium to a fast one it bends away from the normal, I hope.

Now, in this question it showed a boundary between 2 materials, and said that material 1 had a lower refractive index than material 2. Then it told me to draw the line going into boundary 2 and into the air.

So I assumed lower refractive index = slower material, so it's slow going into fast. So I drew the line going away from the normal.

But then the mark scheme says it goes TOWARDS the normal.

So does a low refractive index mean that it's fast? :confused:
tis_me_lord
Ok, so when light goes from a fast medium to a slow one it bends towards the normal, and when it goes from a slow medium to a fast one it bends away from the normal, I hope.

Now, in this question it showed a boundary between 2 materials, and said that material 1 had a lower refractive index than material 2. Then it told me to draw the line going into boundary 2 and into the air.

So I assumed lower refractive index = slower material, so it's slow going into fast. So I drew the line going away from the normal.

But then the mark scheme says it goes TOWARDS the normal.

So does a low refractive index mean that it's fast? :confused:

Yes low refractive indes means the light travels more quickly through it. If you think of a vacuum having a refractive index of 1, it makes more sense :smile:

EDIT: make that 1 even, air is about 1.0008 for example.
Reply 2
Golden Maverick
Yes low refractive indes means the light travels more quickly through it. If you think of a vacuum having a refractive index of 1, it makes more sense :smile:

Oh right, that's good then, so light goes really slowly through diamond?
tis_me_lord
Oh right, that's good then, so light goes really slowly through diamond?

Yep. Refractive index of over 2 I think.
Ah, remembered how you work it out:

absolute refractive index = speed of light in vacuum / speed of light in material
Reply 5
Golden Maverick
Yep. Refractive index of over 2 I think.

Think I finally get refraction and total internal reflection, then.

Let's see how I do in this paper though. :p:

Thanks for the help. :cool:
tis_me_lord
Think I finally get refraction and total internal reflection, then.

Let's see how I do in this paper though. :p:

Thanks for the help. :cool:

np..
Reply 7
Golden Maverick
Ah, remembered how you work it out:

absolute refractive index = speed of light in material / speed of light in vacuum

It should be the other way up refractive index = speed of light in vacuum / speed of light in material (n=c/v) - you need the denominator to be smaller than the numerator to get a refractive index > 1 and speed of light in a vacuum is faster than in a material
Refractive Index can be calculated by two ways
1- n= speed of light in vacuum/ speed in medium.

2- n= sin of angle of incidence/ sin of angle of refraction.

both are equal
Reply 9
Physics lover
Refractive Index can be calculated by two ways
1- n= speed of light in vacuum/ speed in medium.

2- n= sin of angle of incidence/ sin of angle of refraction.

both are equal

The second one only works if the object is in a vacuum - snells law is
Unparseable latex formula:

\fontsize{4}n_i\sin\theta_i = n_t\sin\theta_t\ so\ n_t = n_i\times\frac{\sin\theta_i}{\sin\theta_t}

so if n_r = 1 then that's right

Latest