The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
great thread!
Reply 61
Ok here are the questions our teacher set us about the pre-release material, as promised.

1. Describe how a neurone can make a muscle 'clench'. (paragraph 3). (3)

2. In para 6, what would make a simple 'neural circuit'? Draw a labelled diagram to help you. (3)

3. What are the key issues, both positive and negative, of using animals in experiments to test (para 8) scientific theories of how the human body works? (4)

4. In para 10, it describes how some neurones are excitatory, whilst others are inhibitory. Explain how this can be the case. (3)

5. Describe the basic steps involved in inserting a gene (para 17) from rats into fruit flies. (4)

6. The ChR2 gene codes for a channel protein (para 22). Describe how a channel protein works. (2)

7. In para 23 a German team managed to express the ChR2 gene. Draw a simple flow chart showing the steps at a cellular level of how genes can be expressed. (3)

8. Gottschalk (para 26) describes it as a 'proof of concept'. what does this mean? (2)

9. In para 29 'action potentials are generated'. Describe how this occurs. (3)

10. Deisseroth's clinical trial (para 36) was looking at area 25 of the limbic system. Discuss the validity of his results.

11. Gene therapy involves a modified cold virus to insert the foreign gene (para 39). Why are viruses often used as vectors in gene therapy? (2)

12. Apart from stress (para 43), what are the other key risk factors for cardiovascular disease? (4)

13. How does the body prevent a neurone from repeatedly firing (para 50)? (3)

14. What evidence suggests that noradrenaline is not the cause of stress (para 58)? (2)

15. Why is it important that women should be included in clinical trials (para 67), and why are women often not included in such trials? (3)

16. Summarise the key findings about why there seems to be sex differences in pain perception (from para 61 onwards). (5)

17. Why might eating chillis make women suffer more pain than those who don't (para 78)? (1)

N.B. "para" means paragraph and the number in brackets is the number of marks. Also, for question 4, in my textbook it doesn't have anything about excitatory/inhibitory neurones, just excitatory/inhibitory synapses, so I took it to mean the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Answers

Spoiler

Reply 62
By the way, does anyone have any past papers or questions for Unit 5? They don't have to be edexcel, they just have to be similar topics. We're going through the sample paper in class so can't do that for revision. Also, getting a mock on monday which could be interesting considering I haven't revised much for topic 8.
skotch

If you want the answers then I can pm them to you.

If you could then that would be great! :biggrin: , can't believe my teachers haven't even mentioned this article! :mad:
Reply 64
Please PM me the answers, too :smile:
Reply 65
Doughboy
Please PM me the answers, too :smile:

Wouldn't it help to try and answer them yourself first? haha
Reply 66
skotch
Wouldn't it help to try and answer them yourself first? haha

lol:yep:
Reply 67
skotch
By the way, does anyone have any past papers or questions for Unit 5? They don't have to be edexcel, they just have to be similar topics. We're going through the sample paper in class so can't do that for revision. Also, getting a mock on monday which could be interesting considering I haven't revised much for topic 8.

Wouldn't it help if you tried searching for them yourself first? haha

:rolleyes:
I have many sample Questions for all topics in unit 4 and 5~Specify any topic from either unit 4 and Unit 5 of the syllabus and then i'll posts its questions:yep:
Reply 69
Doughboy
Wouldn't it help if you tried searching for them yourself first? haha

:rolleyes:

I have! haha :p:
Reply 70
Doughboy

By the way, in your revision notes there's nothing about growth in plants although I think it's on the specification. Any particular reason? (I'm not trying to confront you or anything, was just curious why you chose to miss that section out!)
jonathan3909
I have many sample Questions for all topics in unit 4 and 5~Specify any topic from either unit 4 and Unit 5 of the syllabus and then i'll posts its questions:yep:

Would it be bad if i asked for them all (in your own time of course)?
dime_piece
Would it be bad if i asked for them all (in your own time of course)?

No-Not at all:smile:I'll try to post them whenever I'm free:smile:
Reply 73
To all those people asking me to PM them the answers to the pre-release material questions that I posted, I'll type up the answers tomorrow and try to send them.
Reply 74
skotch
By the way, in your revision notes there's nothing about growth in plants although I think it's on the specification. Any particular reason? (I'm not trying to confront you or anything, was just curious why you chose to miss that section out!)

Didn't create those notes :p:

They are only there to be a guide. There are some things there that we don't have to know, and some things are missing. Use those notes at your discretion.
jonathan3909
No-Not at all:smile:I'll try to post them whenever I'm free:smile:

Thanks, i would + rep you, but i don't have any power :p:
skotch
To all those people asking me to PM them the answers to the pre-release material questions that I posted, I'll type up the answers tomorrow and try to send them.

I guess for plant growth ,we need to know;
To consider the effects of climate change (temperature and rainfall) on the growth of plants.
Reply 77
And auxins, abscisic acid, ethene, giberellins and cytokinnins.

Nothing too detailed though. ^
Reply 78
Doughboy
And auxins, abscisic acid, ethene, giberellins and cytokinnins.

Nothing too detailed though. ^

whaaat? on the specification it just says "Describe how plants detect light using photoreceptors and how they respond to environmental cues." and "Compare mechanisms of coordination in plants and animals, i.e. nervous and hormonal, including the role of IAA in phototropism."

What's all this abscisic acid, ethene, giberellins, and cytokinnins crap?
Reply 79
That's what my revision guide has. I only gotta know what those things are, not much detail. ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending