The Student Room Group

C3: How do you reflect equations in lines other than the axis?

Hi,

I know how to reflect graphs in either the x or y axis, but I'm not sure what to do when it's not the x or y axis. For example, If reflecting y=2xy=2^x in x=5 do I first need to translate the graph to the right by 5?, then make the x negative?
Reply 1
Original post by reubenkinara
Shift 5 units to the left, so the line of reflection becomes the y axis, then flip, and finally remember to shift 5 units back to the right to put the center line back where it belongs.

Hi - thanks for your help.

Shift 5 units to the left:
y=2x+5 y=2^{x+5}
flip it:
y=2x+5y=2^{-x+5}
shift 5 units to the right:
y=2xy=2^{-x}

Is this right? I don't think I've understood you correctly because I don't think I've done the right thing :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by gavinlee

shift 5 units to the right:
y=2xy=2^{-x}

This bit is wrong. If f(x)=2x+5f(x)=2^{-x+5} then to shift that 5 units to the right, you want f(x5)f(x-5). Note that f(x5)2xf(x-5)\not=2^{-x}

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by F1Addict
This bit is wrong. If f(x)=2x+5f(x)=2^{-x+5} then to shift that 5 units to the right, you want f(x5)f(x-5). Note that f(x5)2xf(x-5)\not=2^{-x}

Spoiler

F1Addict, thanks for posting the general rule, it's really helpful. You'd think the text book would also think to print it!

Do you know the general rule for reflections in the y=a line? Again...not in my book.
Reply 4
Hi,

I know how to reflect graphs in either the x or y axis, but I'm not sure what to do when it's not the x or y axis. For example, If reflecting y=2xy=2^x in x=5 do I first need to translate the graph to the right by 5?, then make the x negative?

To figure this out systematically, consider that if the line x=5x=5 was where the y axis was located, then everything would be easy: we'd simply do an xxx \rightarrow -x transform.

We can arrange this by creating a new coordinate system with a variable uu that is 0 when x=5x=5. We do this by the substitution u=x5u = x-5. We now have our original coord system, (x,y)(x,y) and our new one (u,y)(u,y) where the y measurements are the same in both systems.

So now, our problem is to reflect in the new uu axis (which corresponds to the old x=5x=5 line), and we do that with the substitution uuu \rightarrow -u. But first, we need to transform our y=x2y=x^2 curve to uu coords:

u=x5x=u+5u=x-5 \Rightarrow x=u+5 so y=x2y=(u+5)2y=x^2 \rightarrow y =(u+5)^2

Now we reflect in the uu axis:

y=(u+5)2y=(u+5)2y=(u+5)^2 \rightarrow y = (-u+5)^2

But we really want the equation in terms of xx, so we'd better transform back to xx land:

y=(u+5)2y=((x5)+5)2=(x+5+5)2=(x+10)2y = (-u+5)^2 \rightarrow y = (-(x-5)+5)^2 = (-x+5+5)^2 = (-x+10)^2

In general, if we reflect in x=ax=a, we create the uu axis on the line x=ax=a:

u=xau = x-a

Then we transform our function to uu coords:

y=f(x)y=f(u+a)y=f(x) \rightarrow y = f(u+a)

Then we reflect in x=ax=a/u=0u=0 via uuu \rightarrow -u:

y=f(u+a)y=f(u+a)y=f(u+a) \rightarrow y=f(-u+a)

Then we return to xx coords, which is where we really want to be:

y=f(u+a)y=f((xa)+a)=f(x+a+a)=f(x+2a)y=f(-u+a) \rightarrow y =f(-(x-a)+a) = f(-x+a+a) = f(-x+2a)

or:

y=f((x2a))y=f(-(x-2a))

as an earlier post expressed it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
F1Addict, thanks for posting the general rule, it's really helpful. You'd think the text book would also think to print it!

Do you know the general rule for reflections in the y=a line? Again...not in my book.

Let y=f(x)y=f(x), then a reflection of f(x)f(x) about the line y=ay=a would be ((y2a))=f(x)(-(y-2a))=f(x). Basically, you just replace y with (-(y-2a)) and leave the x terms alone.

Original post by atsruser

Nice. :yy:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6

You should be able to figure it out by following similar reasoning to that I posted for the x=ax=a case. If not, I'll put it up later. It's good practice to try it yourself though.
Reply 7
atsruser and f1addict - thanks to both of you for your help. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest