The Student Room Group

Help urgent maths

Help I need help with this inequalityIMG_2575.jpeg
I got +_1 <x
How do I do this 😭
My final a level exam is in a week I’m screwed
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
You could stick numbers in to check or sketch both sides (possibly simplify the quadratic inequality first), but it would help to see how you got your answer which I dont understand anyway.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
You could stick numbers in to check or sketch both sides (possibly simplify the quadratic inequality first), but it would help to see how you got your answer which I dont understand anyway.

IMG_2576.jpeg
Reply 3
If you sketched x^2 > 1 you should be able to work out your mistake on the final line. Combining two inequalities into one as you do on the final line is generally a bad idea and, as in this case, mistakes happen.

To interpret the penultiimate line, it says "the magnitude of x is greater than 1".
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
If you sketched x^2 > 1 you should be able to work out your mistake on the final line. Combining two inequalities into one as you do on the final line is generally a bad idea and, as in this case, mistakes happen.

To interpret the penultiimate line, it says "the magnitude of x is greater than 1".

I’m so sorry but I’m still stuck can I plz help, explain what the answer is is it the minus or the plus and why??
Reply 5
If youre not goinng to sketch it, stick some numbers in, -3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3 and which satisfy the inequality and why, though a sketch is probably simpler.

Like the previous comment about the inequality, youre (most people) always going to have problems like this and gettimg some ways to get round them/check your answer is important.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
You've effectively found the roots for the equation x^2 - 1=0 (which is what that inequality amounts to). If you sketch the graph you'll see a portion of it will be under the axis (from. - 1 to 1) with the rest being above the axis. The question is asking you for the regions in which the function is greater than 0 i. e. above the x axis. From that you can get the answer of x > 1 and x < - 1. Doing a quick sketch with the roots always helps identify the inequality region.

Quick Reply

Latest