The Student Room Group

Opinions on animal testing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellawhite4686
i am against animal testing

animals don't get to chose whether they're being tested on, and many of them get badly injured/die from it, and imagine how much fuss would be made if they were all humans being tested on.. but why? humans and the furry animals being tested on both have feelings, why shouldn't it be humans that are tested on? animals could react differently to humans to a product anyway, so humans would have to be tested on at some point, why harm animals to start with then?

I completely understand this point of view. Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that without animal testing, you probably wouldn't exist and many of the people you know would probably be dead. The life expectancy would be about 40 at the highest. All of modern medicine is built on research through animal testing and there simply are no alternatives that are just as effective. If you assume the position of being anti-animal testing, then you are simultaneously opposing medicinal development and health research.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the idea of animal testing. I think it's completely and utterly unfair at every level. But we haven't got a choice. It's a necessary evil.
Reply 41
A necessary evil.

Pretty much undebatable.
Reply 42
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25888372

Have a look and the monkeys are so cute!!
Reply 43
Original post by beccac94
The thing is makeup isn't essential it won't affect your life if you don't wear it, whereas the latest cancer drug will affect their life and would be the difference between life and death.

Wouldn't you rather than money spent on testing cosmetics was spent on medical testing is read which could make a drastic difference to someone's life.

Also some of what you said made it put that I'm not for animal testing for medicine, you obviously didn't read my comment because I'm for that just against it for cosmetics because it isn't needed to save your life now is it?

Also in the future choose a font that isn't so bright cause it's hurting my eyes.

Sorry Becca for my bright pink font -- dropped for good! And I did read all your post and understand that you fully support animal testing for medical/scientific research!!

-I just meant that in general people overlook the heavy dependence on cosmetics which we consider very important for our daily appearance and presentation, therefore should be fully tested for safety like all other consumer/domestic products. Equality of product testing!! x
(..and I agree with all your comments above BTW :wink:
Reply 44
Original post by Jamerson
Do we really need more creams and other inessential products at the expense of other sentient beings? Think carefully about your answer, it says more about you than about anything else.

£8.2 billion in the UK alone disagrees with you. For reference, that is only just less than the NHS spent on medical drugs in the same period.

I've never spent a penny on any cosmetics myself, but the stats are clear: People care just as much, if not more about their cosmetics as their health.
Reply 45
Original post by Carol R. Lawson
Like Heather11(?) I'm personally concerned by and AGAINST the recent ban (UK only) on using animals in scientific research/testing for new cosmetic products!

Ive seen girls have bad effects from skin creams, moisturisers, eyeliner, blusher etc when it reacted with their skin sensitivities and made them sore and red for a while.

I used a cleanser that made my face flush red for an hour before it faded!

There's always risks from allergies, over-sensitivity, reactions, accidental mis-use of all cosmetic products. So shouldn't we campaign to get the ban lifted as soon as possible!?!

As for animal experimentation for medical and health ressearch... TEST AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said before allergic reactions can happen even off testing is done, people have allergic reactions to medicine which is rigorously tested, it's no excuse to test on makeup. I have sensitive skin so I just have to be careful what I wear makeup wise. If you don't fit on with makeup font wear it, at the end of tge day you don't have to wear it!!!
Animal testing is wrong. As long as people continue to justify it, no alternatives will be found or the ones available now like stems cells will be ignored. I don't think humanity should benefit from the suffering of fury, tiny, beautiful, helpless and vulnerable creatures like cuddly rats. I mean how is infecting a dog with cancer for 5 years and watching the disease progress and weaken it, morally justifiable. I think in the Bible it also says something about things being created equal,correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 47
Original post by Chlorophile
The only scenario when I would be in favour of animal testing is when it's for developing critical treatments for genuinely harmful diseases (i.e. not heartburn or colds) and there is no equally effective alternative. It would also be on the condition that the drug companies publish all of the results of the trials rather than selectively publishing which is what they do at the moment.

(1) define genuinely harmful. people do die as a consequence of heart burn and colds. this isn't to mention the fact that developing new drugs often generates more insight into how a physiological or pathological process works (which is useful for various reasons).
(2) bit difficult to tell whether there's an equally effective alternative treatment without having gone through the motions of testing on animals, then humans, et c. to figure out how well the new one works.
Original post by nexttime
What about the big, dirty, hairy, ugly, aggressive rats with viscous fangs? Should we put those ones down because they're not cuddly enough?

They will still be beautiful in my eyes!:wink: They can't help their fangs and animal nature just like human beings can't refrain from cruelty sometimes.
If we don't test on animals who are a much more reliable source of information and discoveries then what are we gonna test on? Computer models? :lol:

I'm for animal testing but I don't like seeing animals suffer for too long.
Original post by HumanCitizen
Animal testing is wrong. As long as people continue to justify it, no alternatives will be found or the ones available now like stems cells will be ignored. I don't think humanity should benefit from the suffering of fury, tiny, beautiful, helpless and vulnerable creatures like cuddly rats. I mean how is infecting a dog with cancer for 5 years and watching the disease progress and weaken it, morally justifiable. I think in the Bible it also says something about things being created equal,correct me if I'm wrong.

The bible says something about humans being rulers of animals, sea etc
Original post by Miel Purple
The bible says something about humans being rulers of animals, sea etc

A good ruler is just and fair...:smile:
A good ruler is just and fair...:smile:

That's debateable....imo I believe we as humans are above animals and we should benefit first and have priority.

Again...that's debatable :smile:
Original post by Slazenger
(1) define genuinely harmful. people do die as a consequence of heart burn and colds. this isn't to mention the fact that developing new drugs often generates more insight into how a physiological or pathological process works (which is useful for various reasons).
(2) bit difficult to tell whether there's an equally effective alternative treatment without having gone through the motions of testing on animals, then humans, et c. to figure out how well the new one works.

(1) Perhaps, but research with respect to 'minor ailments' such as colds goes into alleviating symptoms, not curing it. And anyway, so few people die from them that in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't call it a major blight to humanity.

(2) That's why I do support testing on animals, but only in the above serious circumstances.
That's debateable....imo I believe we as humans are above animals and we should benefit first and have priority.

Again...that's debatable :smile:

I'm black and not long ago, maybe 300 or more year ago, my race was once regarded as inferior with fewer brain cells and likened to monkey's and baboons. As a result people so fit to enslave it and everybody grumbled when it was time to abolish slavery, about how it was a necessity and justified otherwise who is gonna farm them sugar plantations. I see no difference in the ways my ancestors where treated and the way animals are treated in research and science because it's a necessity and clever men and women can't be bothered to find alternatives. Animals should have more rights fullstops. Why? because most of them can feel the pain I do physically and some also emotionally.:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
(1) Perhaps, but research with respect to 'minor ailments' such as colds goes into alleviating symptoms, not curing it. And anyway, so few people die from them that in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't call it a major blight to humanity.

(2) That's why I do support testing on animals, but only in the above serious circumstances.

but when you develop a drug for the cold, which is most commonly caused by rhinoviruses, you also get insight into viruses of a similar classification that cause a host of other diseases, including but not limited to the following:
hepatitis a, c and e viruses, poliovirus, yellow fever virus, west nile virus, rubella virus, s.a.r.s. virus.
as you'll see, this list includes viruses that cause diseases that emphatically are a major blight to humanity.

and you mention heartburn. long-term, heartburn can predispose you to developing oesophageal cancer, which often presents late and has a dismal prognosis.

i think your perception of what is and isn't trivial might be somewhat naive. even so-called minor medical issues can, in certain circumstances, be serious and also they can provide footholds and insight into other areas of medical research, which may include the more harrowing stuff.
I'm black and not long ago, maybe 300 or more year ago, my race was once regarded as inferior with fewer brain cells and likened to monkey's and baboons. As a result people so fit to enslave it and everybody grumbled when it was time to abolish slavery, about how it was a necessity and justified otherwise who is gonna farm them sugar plantations. I see no difference in the ways my ancestors where treated and the way animals are treated in research and science because it's a necessity and clever men and women can't be bothered to find alternatives. Animals should have more rights fullstops. Why? because most of them can feel the pain I do physically and some also emotionally.:redface:

I understand :smile: that's fair enough, of course I'd like to see new and reliable alternatives but atm I don't see it happening!

I think the slavery comment is a bit different from animal testing...there was an obvious solution to it...white people can farm too. In animal testing..no obvious solution as of yet.
Original post by Slazenger
but when you develop a drug for the cold, which is most commonly caused by rhinoviruses, you also get insight into viruses of a similar classification that cause a host of other diseases, including but not limited to the following:
hepatitis a, c and e viruses, poliovirus, yellow fever virus, west nile virus, rubella virus, s.a.r.s. virus.
as you'll see, this list includes viruses that cause diseases that emphatically are a major blight to humanity.

and you mention heartburn. long-term, heartburn can predispose you to developing oesophageal cancer, which often presents late and has a dismal prognosis.

i think your perception of what is and isn't trivial might be somewhat naive. even so-called minor medical issues can, in certain circumstances, be serious and also they can provide footholds and insight into other areas of medical research, which may include the more harrowing stuff.

You cannot seriously be telling me that all of the pharmaceutical investment into products like Strepsils and Calpol is actually having a significant benefit on the welfare of mankind?

Let's put things into perspective here. Fine, minor ailments can have - in very rare cases - complications. But I think you'll agree that it is completely unreasonable to compare research into treating the common cold to research into treating Dementia.
Reply 58
You cannot seriously be telling me that all of the pharmaceutical investment into products like Strepsils and Calpol is actually having a significant benefit on the welfare of mankind?

i'm not even sure strepsils count as a pharmaceutical product, so i'll ignore that.

calpol's active ingredient is paracetamol, one of the most effective and widely-used pain medications we have. the number of people helped and amount of suffering alleviated vastly outnumbers that of the mice / animals tested.

Let's put things into perspective here. Fine, minor ailments can have - in very rare cases - complications. But I think you'll agree that it is completely unreasonable to compare research into treating the common cold to research into treating Dementia.

this is a straw-man argument. i wasn't talking about dementia or anything else, i was just pulling you up on your rather short-sighted 'genuine harm' criterion. yes, research into dementia is important. so is research into rhinoviruses. i'm not interested in comparing the two.

and also, it's not necessarily very rare cases. heartburn leading to barrett's oesophagus leading to adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus isn't unusual at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
I understand :smile: that's fair enough, of course I'd like to see new and reliable alternatives but atm I don't see it happening!

I think the slavery comment is a bit different from animal testing...there was an obvious solution to it...white people can farm too. In animal testing..no obvious solution as of yet.

It might appear like any obvious solution now, but back then it wasn't. White people couldn't farm under those terrible conditions for free. You might argue the industrial revolution in farming was driven by this issue.:cool: They are tangible alternatives coming out now. I listened to a program a while ago that mentioned a lot of things about how cell technologies can replace testing and you can still test on human volunteers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending