The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are private schools fair?

Quite a simple question: is it fair that wealthier parents are able to pay for their child to have a better education than a child from a family that cannot afford to send them to private school?

I am quite open to change my mind on this topic but this is my view at the moment.

I don't really think it's fair that one child should be allowed to allowed to have a better education than another because of the family that they were born into. I understand the argument that some people make that "well I worked hard for my money, so why can't I give my children the best start I can get them?"

The thing is it's not really about the parents, or how hard they've worked in their life. If they've worked hard and got a lot of money then good for them. But in my view, their child should not be allowed to have a head start in life just because they were arbitrarily born into that family. It's simply not fair on kids from poor backgrounds.

In my view, it creates a subtle divide between the majority of people who go to state school and the minority who go to private. The state schools kids think "eugh they went to private school, they just bought their education, they don't really deserve it".

I can't comment on the view of privately educated people because I myself was educated at an average state school. But that is the general view I have picked up in my time at state school.

I also think it creates a long term social divide. Wealthy families are able to pay for their child to have a better education and are thus more likely to be wealthy when they are older. Poor families get a poorer education and are more likely to stay in the same poor jobs even though they may be just as talented as many privately educated children. I realise this is a large generalisation but you get the idea, the private/state school distinction is not good for social mobility.

Anyway, that's my view. I'd quite like to hear general views on this topic so please argue against my points, agree with me, whatever. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I went to a state school and I think...

"I don't give a **** who went to what school, be it state or private. I loved every minute of my high school years, and I made use of the resources my state school provided. Those who went to private school, well.... they went private school, good for them, why should I care?

And they didn't just buy their education, they still had to work hard to get there. Its like the whole steroids and body-building, steroids don't give you muscles.. you still need to put in tons of hard work.

Anyway, at the end of the day I don't know you, not really bothered about your view.... so guess what...

You can think watever THE **** YOU WANNA THINK
Reply 2
But using the steroids analogy, if you're not given steroids at all, then you're not going to have the potential to be nearly as strong as someone who has had steroids given to them for their entire life.

I'm not saying private school kids don't work hard, but when you go to a **** school you have to work a damn lot harder than if you go to a good one if you want to succeed. It's more a debate about everybody getting the same standard of education really.
Reply 3
Of course they're fair. The parents worked hard to get their money so they should be able to provide the very best for their children. If I was rich then I would do the same thing for my children.
Reply 4
"The thing is it's not really about the parents, or how hard they've worked in their life. If they've worked hard and got a lot of money then good for them. But in my view, their child should not be allowed to have a head start in life just because they were arbitrarily born into that family. It's simply not fair on kids from poor backgrounds."
Remember its not necessarily a better education.. yes everything might be there but the child still may be dumb as two short planks.

Anyway yeah they earned the right to send them to the school.. hopefully anyway.
It's such a tough question.

On one hand I do feel it is hugely unfair. Wealth buys a huge headstart for your children, so they themselves can generate more wealth, which they spend on their kids etc... so the rich get richer and inequality grows.

But is it ethical to prevent a child getting a better education when there is an institution willing to provide it and someone who is willing to pay?
Reply 7
I think private schools should be turned into grammar schools, which do a great job of selecting bright kids regardless of their background. Of course, the ideal would be to raise the standard of state school education, but this is easier said than done.
Original post by S.J.Shiro
Of course they're fair. The parents worked hard to get their money so they should be able to provide the very best for their children. If I was rich then I would do the same thing for my children.

Id disagree that its fair, i think its unfair that money entitles a child to a better education. The same can be said fpr medical care. On the NHS my father would have died years ago but with private he lived awhile longer.

However in saying that life isnt fair, the world isnt fair. And i agree 100% that if you ahve the money then you have every right to provide a better start for your kids. If you have money (id like to point out i do not have any money) then you should be able to spend it how you like.

Ideally state schools should be bringing thier standards up not expecting better schools to drop theirs
It's not just education. You could say "is it fair that rich kids have better houses" or "is it fair that rich families have access to better healthcare".

It might not be "fair" if you class "fair" as "everyone's equal", but unfortunately that's just the way it is. Money buys better.
Reply 10
Private school isn't doing harm to anyone, Infact, Think of all that juicy tax money you get from people who go to private school who yes - still have to pay tax AND private tuition fees.

Private school is not just for the rich, It is also for;

1) Son's and daughters of people who are in the army, who may be away from home months at a time and need a stable place to go to school in (If your parents have to move around continuously for the army, is it fair to keep changing schools? Or could you just go to a privately funded boarding school?)
2) The Gifted, We had plenty of 'poor' students who had got into our school on scholarships because they excelled at something. If you feel so hard done by someone going to private school why did you not pursue a schollarship? They are there for a reason.
3) Single parents - Yes, You would be suprised. The longer hours and extra care offered (at my school at least) was highly looked apon by those parents who didn't have a partner at home to help share the child care. If you need to work until 5.30 and can't pick up your kids from school till 6, where else are they going to go (Obviously they could walk home, but what happens if they couldn't?).

Private school isn't a walk in the park. You have to take a test to get in, You have to keep your performance up while you are in and most and for most, People do NOT do your work, hand it to you and ship you off to a top university.

If you want to do well, You do it by yourself. The internet is a wonderful tool and can teach you all you need to know if you feel that you are not getting the best education. I am so fed up with people thinking that those at private school get everything handed too them, I agree we get better experiences and chances to do unique things by my gosh, it is no where near a walk in the park.
Reply 11
I disagree with private schools but basically, life's not fair. We aren't living in mud huts like much of the world, are we?
Reply 12
I went to an independent school and I don't believe the system is unfair at all. Yes, the education you receive may be outstanding, but many state schools also have outstanding teaching - after all, your education is only as good as the teachers who teach it. Private school teachers aren't bred from a magical plain of awesomeness, they are the same as any other. The real difference is in the student body itself. In state schools, pupils aren't horrifically grateful to their parents for sending them to school because their parents haven't contributed anything financially (besides uniform costs etc) to their education and they consider it a right. We knew our education wasn't a right, everybody wanted to be at school and to learn, because if we hadn't we simply wouldn't have been there. Either our parents would have pulled the plug or the school would have.

However, I just want to make something clear. Paying for an education doesn't mean you're buying good grades. My classmates were, and are, the hardest-working group of people I know. Going to private school is about the society and opportunities you then get access to. Your grades, though, are your responsibility. Your school isn't going to sit exams for you. To illustrate the point, my two oldest friends went to the local state-run sixth form college. One is headed to Oxford to read History, the other to Cardiff to read Maths. They didn't get the traditions, speech days, ski trips, international exchanges, famous pupils, incredible architecture, the public school banter. They did however work as hard as anyone at my school and it got them the results, same as anyone in my year.
Reply 13
Original post by Decani
We knew our education wasn't a right

Education is a right.

And this is what's wrong with private schools.
Reply 14
Original post by S.J.Shiro

Why should wealth limit how much you can give to your children? Also, what about professions with terribly low pay but are very difficult?

In my view, family wealth should not determine how good an education you get. Everybody should have the same type of education, which is top-notch, and creates well-rounded and educated students. Private schools are not fair as wealth should have nothing to do with it.
Original post by richiemayne
Quite a simple question: is it fair that wealthier parents are able to pay for their child to have a better education than a child from a family that cannot afford to send them to private school?

I am quite open to change my mind on this topic but this is my view at the moment.

I don't really think it's fair that one child should be allowed to allowed to have a better education than another because of the family that they were born into. I understand the argument that some people make that "well I worked hard for my money, so why can't I give my children the best start I can get them?"

The thing is it's not really about the parents, or how hard they've worked in their life. If they've worked hard and got a lot of money then good for them. But in my view, their child should not be allowed to have a head start in life just because they were arbitrarily born into that family. It's simply not fair on kids from poor backgrounds.

In my view, it creates a subtle divide between the majority of people who go to state school and the minority who go to private. The state schools kids think "eugh they went to private school, they just bought their education, they don't really deserve it".

I can't comment on the view of privately educated people because I myself was educated at an average state school. But that is the general view I have picked up in my time at state school.

I also think it creates a long term social divide. Wealthy families are able to pay for their child to have a better education and are thus more likely to be wealthy when they are older. Poor families get a poorer education and are more likely to stay in the same poor jobs even though they may be just as talented as many privately educated children. I realise this is a large generalisation but you get the idea, the private/state school distinction is not good for social mobility.

Anyway, that's my view. I'd quite like to hear general views on this topic so please argue against my points, agree with me, whatever. :smile:

Surely this argument wouldn't even be occuring if state schools were as good as they should be, there is no reason that going to a private school should be an advantage, I would agree that at the moment in many places it is (though not all private schools are better than all state schools).
Original post by ok_cub2008
It's such a tough question.

On one hand I do feel it is hugely unfair. Wealth buys a huge headstart for your children, so they themselves can generate more wealth, which they spend on their kids etc... so the rich get richer and inequality grows.

But is it ethical to prevent a child getting a better education when there is an institution willing to provide it and someone who is willing to pay?

Hit the proverbial nail on the head. No it is not ethical to prevent a child doing as you say. Private schools may very well provide greater opportunites. But these people are paying for it. State schools are free, and so understandably the standards may be lower. What needs to be done is to improve states schools and their approach towards learning. But it is perfectly possible to achieve success coming from a states school as opposed to a private one. What is different and why success is oftendifferent is the different attitudes of those coming from private and state schools respectively.
I always think that people fail to take into account that there is a huge range of quality in state schools. It isn't the case that all private schools are brilliant, and all state schools are equally average.
Reply 18
I do disagree with private education as I think it reproduces inequality in a completely unfair way, and it is entirely immoral to give a child a better education because their parents are wealthier. That's not to say there aren't arguments for private schools, but i think they pail in comparison compared to that. I think the argument that a parent has the right to send their child where they chose is reasonable, but the idea that all these parents are hard working is naive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Cicerao
Education is a right.

And this is what's wrong with private schools.

I'm merely saying that we knew our particular private school education wasn't a right. What's wrong with that? Would you prefer we all go around with our noses in the air assuming that we had more right to go to a fee-paying school than anyone else? I know non-public school students like to paint us all as spoiled brats so I'm sorry to disappoint you when I say that only applied to a distinct minority - said minority is now re-taking their A2 year.

Latest

Trending

Trending