The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DYKWIA
So you would walk down the street naked then? What you just said makes no sense. Of course the law treats public and private life very differently. Why should gays be any different? I don't want to go outside and see gay people kissing each other everywhere. Why should children be exposed to that sort of confusion?

I believe Freud was the one who said that sexuality is determined partially by early-life nurture, so while you don't have a choice in your sexuality, society in general does. I don't have anything against homosexuals, but we don't need a higher proportion of the population being homosexual. Understand?

It's not determined by "Early life nature" cause I was brought up playing 3 sports and having a hardcore army father.
Reply 221
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
It's not determined by "Early life nature" cause I was brought up playing 3 sports and having a hardcore army father.

Partially. Obviously some is based on genes. It is also possible that you subconsciously didn't want to follow in your fathers footsteps?
Original post by DYKWIA
Partially. Obviously some is based on genes. It is also possible that you subconsciously didn't want to follow in your fathers footsteps?

Seeing as i'm going into the army after uni i think that's incorrect.
Reply 223
Original post by DYKWIA
So you would walk down the street naked then? What you just said makes no sense. Of course the law treats public and private life very differently. Why should gays be any different? I don't want to go outside and see gay people kissing each other everywhere. Why should children be exposed to that sort of confusion?

I have done in the past, when appropriate.

The law does indeed treat public and private life very differently, but that wasn't the proposition. The proposition was about love. Subject to provisos about sexually explicit conduct being confined to appropriate places, why should two people who love one another be prevented from expressing that? Why should gay people be any different? You propose to curtail the freedom of expression without good cause.

If I had a boyfriend I would quite like to be able to hold his hand as we walk down the street. I've done that in the past, too. I cannot begin to imagine how you can consider that offensive.

I'll pass on the "won't somebody please think of the children!" straw man.
Reply 224
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA

I believe Freud was the one who said that sexuality is determined partially by early-life nurture, so while you don't have a choice in your sexuality, society in general does. I don't have anything against homosexuals, but we don't need a higher proportion of the population being homosexual. Understand?

I could argue that I don't want to see straight couple kissing and being all embarrassingly lovey-dovey in public either.
I don't think that children really care one way or the other.

Sexuality is likely determined by a long list of factors. In the end though, what causes it is irrelevant. A significant fraction of the population is not straight, and you'll just have to deal with that. I for one see nothing wrong with a higher proportion of people being homosexual, but doubt that the demographics will change significantly.
Original post by DYKWIA

Its more likely that your views on the matter were influenced by your childhood more than anything else...
Reply 226
Original post by mmmpie
I have done in the past, when appropriate.

I don't know how to respond to that. It's kinda gross.

The law does indeed treat public and private life very differently, but that wasn't the proposition. The proposition was about love. Subject to provisos about sexually explicit conduct being confined to appropriate places, why should two people who love one another be prevented from expressing that? Why should gay people be any different? You propose to curtail the freedom of expression without good cause.

If I had a boyfriend I would quite like to be able to hold his hand as we walk down the street. I've done that in the past, too. I cannot begin to imagine how you can consider that offensive.

I'll pass on the "won't somebody please think of the children!" straw man.

I don't think kissing in public should be illegal, but it the moral responsibility of gay people not to do it in public - it sends the wrong message, especially to young children. The openly gay and showy types are the ones who cause all the antagonism towards gays.

Original post by JGR
I could argue that I don't want to see straight couple kissing and being all embarrassingly lovey-dovey in public either.
I don't think that children really care one way or the other.

It is normal though, whereas two men kissing isn't. I do agree that anyone being too affectionate in public can be crude though, but it does send a better message to kids.
Sexuality is likely determined by a long list of factors. In the end though, what causes it is irrelevant. A significant fraction of the population is not straight, and you'll just have to deal with that. I for one see nothing wrong with a higher proportion of people being homosexual, but doubt that the demographics will change significantly.

I don't really want to 'deal with it'.
Original post by maths134
Its more likely that your views on the matter were influenced by your childhood more than anything else...

So? My views aren't going to change and there's nothing wrong with them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 227
Original post by JOR2010
The only thing that makes me refute that argument is the fact that if we were all gay, we'd die out as a species. Surely that's not natural?

I've nothing against gays, I have several gay friends, it's just I've seen this argument pop up rather frequently.

Should we stone to death infertile people too?
Original post by DYKWIA
I don't know how to respond to that. It's kinda gross.

I don't think kissing in public should be illegal, but it the moral responsibility of gay people not to do it in public - it sends the wrong message, especially to young children. The openly gay and showy types are the ones who cause all the antagonism towards gays.

It is normal though, whereas two men kissing isn't. I do agree that anyone being too affectionate in public can be crude though, but it does send a better message to kids.

Oh christ, here we go 'think of the children'... seriously. I mean I personally think PDA is annoying, but this attitude of 'keep it hidden' etc will just mean more people have the same attitude as you.

I don't really want to 'deal with it'.

So if you see two men kissing you will do what exactly? I believe doing nothing is 'dealing with it'... so, as said above 'deal with it'.

So? My views aren't going to change and there's nothing wrong with them.

Then why bother arguing with us.

that is all
Reply 229
So if you see two men kissing you will do what exactly? I believe doing nothing is 'dealing with it'... so, as said above 'deal with it'.

It happened at school once and I told them to go away and do it elsewhere. They just told me to go **** myself, so clearly this sort of thing is getting worse and does need to be discouraged.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA
It happened at school once and I told them to go away and do it elsewhere. They just told me to go **** myself, so clearly this sort of thing is getting worse and does need to be discouraged.

getting worse lol. I would probably tell you the same...
Reply 231
Original post by DYKWIA

It's very difficult to take this seriously when it's naked assertion. Personally I think public expressions of affection send a very important message, especially to young children: anyone can love anyone and it's perfectly fine if they do.

Original post by DYKWIA

Sounds like a reasonable sentiment to me. Learn to mind your own business - if you don't want to see something don't watch. I don't want to have to listen to the preachers on the high street every time I go into town, but I deal with it.
Original post by DYKWIA
I don't think anyone argues that gay people can't love each other, it is simply an issue of doing it in public.

It's an issue in the same way that straight couples expressing their love in public is an issue.
Reply 233
getting worse lol. I would probably tell you the same...

Original post by mmmpie
Sounds like a reasonable sentiment to me. Learn to mind your own business - if you don't want to see something don't watch. I don't want to have to listen to the preachers on the high street every time I go into town, but I deal with it.

If I don't like something then why shouldn't I let them know? I don't want to see gays kissing and touching in public. Why should I be forced to mind my own business when instead they can find somewhere else to do stuff?

Original post by Retrodiction
It's an issue in the same way that straight couples expressing their love in public is an issue.

Yes, sometimes people can go OTT showing their affections, however it's less acceptable to me to see gays making out in public.
Reply 234
Original post by DYKWIA
If I don't like something then why shouldn't I let them know? I don't want to see gays kissing and touching in public. Why should I be forced to mind my own business when instead they can find somewhere else to do stuff?

Oh, you can let them know. I don't argue with your right to do so. Just don't expect them to take you seriously.

They have as much right to be doing what they're doing as you do to dislike it. The difference is that no one's making you be present but if you stop them then you are making them stop.

Original post by DYKWIA
Yes, sometimes people can go OTT showing their affections, however it's less acceptable to me to see gays making out in public.

The world cares little about your personal taste.
Original post by DYKWIA

Ah, less acceptable to you. I thought for a moment that you were attempting to offer a rational argument in defence of your point. Forgive me.
Reply 236
Original post by mmmpie
Oh, you can let them know. I don't argue with your right to do so. Just don't expect them to take you seriously.

They have as much right to be doing what they're doing as you do to dislike it. The difference is that no one's making you be present but if you stop them then you are making them stop.
The world cares little about your personal taste.

Would you say the same thing about people masturbating in public then? The difference is that I dislike seeing gay people kissing, so they should go somewhere else and do it. There's nothing stopping them from moving somewhere private.

Original post by Retrodiction
Ah, less acceptable to you. I thought for a moment that you were attempting to offer a rational argument in defence of your point. Forgive me.

Yes, because I realize that other people don't share my views. That doesn't make mine any less wrong.
Reply 237
Original post by DYKWIA
Would you say the same thing about people masturbating in public then? The difference is that I dislike seeing gay people kissing, so they should go somewhere else and do it. There's nothing stopping them from moving somewhere private.

Straw man. Masturbating in public is not permitted for reasons other than personal taste.

All you're saying is that you don't like it, and you're more important, so people must cater to your taste. In fact, you're saying that quite explicitly.

Why do you think everybody should conduct themselves so as not to offend your sensibilities, hmm? What makes you so important?
Reply 238
Original post by Craig_D
Indeed, surprisingly at first. :biggrin: That's what I mean about gay people not feeling like they have to conform to social stereotypes, it's those expectations that homophobes use to justify ostracising them from the rest of society.

Do you think they conform? I know one or two gays who say they naturally behave that way.
For example, one post said his brother is called camp, gay etc. now I'm not saying his brother is gay but lets say he does turn out to be gay then surely any feminine gestures at a young age are not from observations of stereotypes but him just behaving like that.

Also OP I'm a muslim and I have nothing wrong with gay people. I definitely think attitudes will change even more, I mean its already made so much progress so its bound to carry on :biggrin:
Reply 239
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA

As mmmpie points out, perhaps if you dislike it so much, you should make an effort to shield your eyes? Maybe not go out in public yourself? Glad that's settled.

Latest

Trending

Trending