The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

how many marks would you get out of 2 for the percentage question if you put it in decimals because you didn't times by 100? And showed the working out... ?
Original post by Little Wing
It's not the same thing. I'm not sure if you can write about the type of glucose molecules becasuse how could you tell that Agrose (or whatever it's called) has B-Glucose?

hmm.. i saw the bonds at the bottom then top and thought beta glucose -_- oh well hopefully i scrape a decent grade and never have to do biology EVER again :biggrin:
Original post by Mutley44
Argh I put Biochemical and Genetic for forms of variation :s-smilie: Thats 7 marks gone

What did everyone put for the one about sheep?

that sheep one confused me so much. i just put that they choose the ones with best characteristics, then mated them with eachother so a more productive sheep would be made etcetc...baffled.
Original post by eimmas.
I thought that it was definitely a challenging paper - but, I kind of expected there to be a lot of 'suggest' type questions because OCR has recently decided to put more of those bad boys as an extra bonus. The questions about the experimental design was really hard and I completely didn't revise the food tests from first year. (I'm a second year resitting the exam)

Reducing sugars are tested by benedicts solution right? how are non-reducing sugar tested? I put that you needed to carry out the reducing sugar test and add something - I didn't even name what was added :')

Had to boil with HCl first then cool and neutralise with sodium carbonate! Then carry out benedicts as before

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I think it was a model because it can be changed or improved on.
Reply 4005
Original post by John Dogg
i put environmental and genetic variation... :'(

thats what i wrote, it didn't even occur to me to right about continuous and discontinuous :|
Original post by Little Wing
Amyloses glucose molecules are not alternating.

I just realised :frown: aww dear!

Reply 4007
why are enzymes flexible?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 4008
Original post by TheGirlNextDoor
I have no idea if it said hyphae in the question but all I saw was "...many nuclei scattered around..." and concluded that it was fungi :smile:

it was a one marker at the bottom of the page under the table right?

Dont want to have missed a double page :O
Original post by babit
thats what i wrote, it didn't even occur to me to right about continuous and discontinuous :|

So how many marks out of 7 would we get if we wrote about only environmental and genetics?
Original post by babit

Didn't write about continuous or discontinuous, didn't think to so I just waffled on about allopatrick and sympatrick speciation.
I loved the question on smoking, hated everything else though
There was so many questions on enzymes! :frown:
Thanks Harry M. People were telling me I got it wrong because I didn't use a colorimeter
Original post by MajonaZ
I put sodium carbonate, I'm guessing that's wrong? :frown:

Sodium Carbonate is a base, so HOPEFULLY (for you) will be accepted. However, hydrogencarbonate is what is most commonly accepted in the mark schemes.
They took the mick with the lyrics, yes, they thought putting lyrics into the exam paper will make everything OK...
Reply 4015
Original post by niaghez
why are enzymes flexible?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol I guessed.

i said the active site is flexible so that the susbtrate is more likely to collide, form a substrate enzyme complex, and for the reaction to take place.
the new species is a prokaryote right?
Original post by John Dogg
i put amylose was made of a glucose monomers and that sugar was b glucose. same thing right ?

I said Similarities: they were both monosaccharide ring structures
Differences: the glycosidic bonds were in different places for the agar and all the bonds are 1,4 for amylose
What did people put for the, "explain why the lock-and-key and induced-fit are called models?" Oh no... I mean suggest why..

I said that it's a simplification of the actual mechanism :confused:

And what about the question where you had to write the letter? I put M and now I'm doubting myself (I think I put M... the one with the boiled enzyme... Oh man, it's not M, is it? :erm:)
Original post by mattymorse
Had to boil with HCl first then cool and neutralise with sodium carbonate! Then carry out benedicts as before

Isn't it sodium hydrocabonate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending