The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Can anyone explain why you would use Replica plating, genetic engineering etc and the difference between them please

I understand the process of each but I'm sometimes unsure why you would use one and not the other, e.g- in a exam question which one they are asking you to explain.
Original post by CollateralElement
OH! God. This book is CRAP! I think I've got a general idea of what it's rambling on about and if that's the case, It's explaining it in the WORST possible way.

The "labelled" nucleotides are the stop and start codons or primers, I think.

The not labelled ones are the free nucleotides which pair in complementary with the DNA fragment to create a separate strand of the DNA
- after it's been cut up by a restriction enzyme.

It stops the strand from becoming really long, because it doesn't need the rest, it just needs that particular section.

The electrophoresis simply shows if the DNA has been cut in that area or not by identifying fragments.

For example, if there is a gene that is 20 base pairs long, for a positive result, there will be a fragment that is 20 base pairs long showing up on the electrophoresis.

Sequencing a genome is the OCR way of saying how do we know what's in the DNA to identify if a person has a genetic disorder etc. I don't know the actual name of it but that's the meaning.

The Human Genome Project do it.

What's the mark scheme say?

That's probably the clearest definition so far, thanks. Just gotta find a question on it a Practice paper and copy mark scheme.
Reply 962
Heyy :smile: can someone ask me questions on anything on unit 5 please :biggrin: and I will ask you some too!

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Original post by ds4143
Heyy :smile: can someone ask me questions on anything on unit 5 please :biggrin: and I will ask you some too!

Thanks!

sure :wink:
Define immbolisation enzyme (2)
Reply 964
It is a technique where enzymes and substrate molecules collide forming an enzyme-substrate complex, so that enzymes are separate from the reaction mixture, avoiding inexpensive processes to seperate the two.
Correct me if im wrong :biggrin: okay your turn!

Explain the terms limiting factor and carrying capacity (2) :smile:

Original post by ds4143
It is a technique where enzymes and substrate molecules collide forming an enzyme-substrate complex, so that enzymes are separate from the reaction mixture, avoiding inexpensive processes to seperate the two.
Correct me if im wrong :biggrin: okay your turn!

Explain the terms limiting factor and carrying capacity (2) :smile:

can you ask me from chapter 1 and chapter 2(till the immobilisation part) finishing the rest later :wink:

The definition is right :wink:
Reply 966
Ooh oh sorry :biggrin: okay

explain the process of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) (5)

Original post by ds4143
Ooh oh sorry :biggrin: okay

explain the process of Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) (5)

no i am finsihing that later today i mean from chapter 1 all the way to the immboilisation questions :wink: sorryyyy
Reply 968
LOL ohh okay XD!

What kind of mutation is it when TTA becomes TCA? :smile: (1)

Reply 969
Hemizygous = when one allele is missing.

Usually applied to a gene on the X chromosome. A male will be hemizygous for this gene as he will only carry one copy on his single X chromosome.
Reply 970
Original post by ds4143
LOL ohh okay XD!

Missense.
TTA codes for Leucine while TCA codes for Serine so a protein is still made with a single amino-acid change.

http://cambridgeacademic.blogspot.co.uk/
Original post by ds4143
LOL ohh okay XD!

point mutation
Reply 972
Original post by otrivine
point mutation

Not specific enough to get the mark. Missense, nonsense and silent mutations are all caused by point mutations. The examiner wants to know the effect of the mutation on the protein.

Original post by whc23
Not specific enough to get the mark. Missense, nonsense and silent mutations are all caused by point mutations. The examiner wants to know the effect of the mutation on the protein.

it is specific enough look at the mark scheme !!! :wink: :wink:
Reply 974
How much do you need to know about the sliding filament model of muscular contraction?

I'm seriously struggling with this :frown: Could someone explain this to me please and help me out? :frown:
Reply 975
Original post by otrivine
it is specific enough look at the mark scheme !!! :wink: :wink:

I stand corrected http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.png although OCR can be quite fussy about exact words to get the marks so to be on the safe side I would say point mutation causing a missense change in the protein.
Original post by whc23
I stand corrected http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/smile.png although OCR can be quite fussy about exact words to get the marks so to be on the safe side I would say point mutation causing a missense change in the protein.

no but that is not answering the question ! they just want the NAME and it is simply either point/substitution mutation
Reply 977
Thats correct :biggrin: its only 1 mark, so I guess it is enough. Oh and another term for point mutation is substitution, just incase a questions asks you to talk about substitution, you'll know what it is :biggrin:!

Ask me ask me :smile:

Reply 978
Original post by Issy123
How much do you need to know about the sliding filament model of muscular contraction?

I'm seriously struggling with this :frown: Could someone explain this to me please and help me out? :frown:

You need to know that the H zone gets shorter, as do the I bands. the Z lines pull towards each other. Then you just need to know the role of ATP (the ratchet mechanism) and role of calcium ions (to attach to troponin which moves trypomyosin). That's obviously shortened but they're the main things I think :smile:
Original post by ds4143
Thats correct :biggrin: its only 1 mark, so I guess it is enough. Oh and another term for point mutation is substitution, just incase a questions asks you to talk about substitution, you'll know what it is :biggrin:!

Ask me ask me :smile:

yep :wink:
Describe me the process of microporpagation of plants cell culture (6)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending