The Student Room Group

Why is it fair for people with money to get a better education than me?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrHappy_J
and why would that be exactly? I never said that.

I just don't think everything can be learnt by reading books. If so why bother with school at all? And why on earth did you become a teacher?

your easy to annoy :rolleyes:

Anyways, I became a teacher because i'm good at maths (and other subjects), i'm great with kids in general, I want to help people and I want to be paid a pretty decent wage for it :cool: There are some awesome schemes in schools which try and promote reading for kids, and some of them have a bit of success. Suffice to say if you inspire a child to read then he will perform much better than the others. With regards to the state vs private issue, I believe that someone with a passion to read can overcome any monetary issues which prevent them from doing what they want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
your easy to annoy :rolleyes:

Anyways, I became a teacher because i'm good at maths (and other subjects), i'm great with kids in general, I want to help people and I want to be paid a pretty decent wage for it :cool:

I just asked you in which post did i say that i hated libraries.

surely they could just learn maths by going to a library? :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 182
Original post by Deep456
You clearly didn't read my post...... :rolleyes:

Despite barely attending lessons due to illness at A-level, I did fine.... people need to stop blaming teachers and take some responsibility. It isn't always someone elses fault. GCSEs are a doodle and anyone can do well in them if they revise using CGP books. When I got rejected from Oxford and indeed other institutions, it wasn't because of racism or because of my teachers or some other bull**** excuse, it was because of my mistakes and I clearly wasn't good enough at that time. The problem we have is a society where no one takes responsibility for their own actions.

Completely agree with a lot of what you just said. I've never been to a private school, so I can't comment on personal experience, but I took the 11+ entrance exams in year 6 and went to a Grammar school in central Birmingham.

I would say that the atmosphere in these schools is what makes them successful - the children that pass an entrance exam feel like they deserve to be in school, that they have earned their education, and therefore work that little bit harder to prove themselves. In my school there was a lot of academic competitiveness and Bs were seen as a disappointment (even though we knew they weren't).

I actually acted out against this for a while in years 10 and 11 - I stopped doing homework and started going out a lot more, enjoying the chase when the teachers would track me down and ask why I'd not done the work. Looking back I think this speaks volumes of my school - that the teachers had the time and motivation to care about each individual student meant that no one got left behind. And when it came down to it, I sat in my room and taught myself a lot of the material I'd intentionally missed. I ended up with 6A*s, 5As, 1B and know I could have done better. But sometimes such a high pressure environment can be just as a distracting as a "poorly functioning" state school. At the end of the day I think it's up to individual motivation and home environment. If you want to do well and work hard, you will get good results. The problem I see at the moment is that students don't see the point in doing well, and if their parents, brothers, sisters and extended family didn't go on to further education then they might well follow their example. It's not that students in private schools are more intelligent (though given the extensive entrance screening there is certainly a case for that) or that state school students are all doomed to fail. It's more a case that private schools can offer a better living to teachers and therefore attract more qualified or more enthusiastic staff, and this motiviation is passed along to the students. Students who are already motivated to prove that they deserve the money being spent on their education.

And before anyone attacks me for generalisation and not knowing what I'm talking about, I've actually got a lot of experience working with underpriveleged kids. I've been working in a state school in Nottingham for the past couple of years, particularly working on literacy, because students' parents and teachers never take the time to make sure they can read. Sadly I've worked with year 9 students who cannot even read 2 pages of Harry Potter in 90minutes. This is all because of home environment, attitude and a general apathy that we're suffering with at the moment - teachers and students alike. As a teacher (in training) and given a choice of career, I'm not ashamed to admit that, while I might want to make a difference, I'd happily accept a job in a private or grammar school if I could get one, simply because the learning environment there is so much more positive.
Original post by Miracle Day
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

I'm just wondering, so discuss.

Oh, and I don't think there are welsh private schools are there?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
50% of Oxbridge undergrads are from private schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

This is just one small almost harmless little problem in the world and not worth to be discussing about. Your parents may have brainwashed you into thinking you live in a perfect world.
http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/01/02/life-is-unfair-now-what/
http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=63129
Would just like to add in that I've gotten straight A's in my Standard Grades and Highers and I go to a school in the bottom 5 for Scotland. Schooling isn't an excuse for poor grades, if they give you the resources then you can teach yourself. I was one of three people in my year to do five Highers.

I could say "why is it fair that people who are lucky with their geographical location get a better state school than me?" the answer is obvious. It isn't fair on the unlucky ones, but they shouldn't be scrapped to appeal to the lowest common denominator - that wouldn't be fair on the lucky ones. If you can pay for private school, good for you, it's not fair on them to try to take that away from them.

The aim should be to bring state schools up. Not bring private schools down.
(edited 11 years ago)
I always find this sort of debate strange because I am privately educated and the OP seems to set up a situation where he seems to think people shouldn't be allowed to be privately educated.

I think the thing private school instilled in me more than anything was not to be complacent. I had some very good teachers and very bad teachers, but there was always the case of "Mum and Dad are paying fees so even if a teacher doesn't teach me something, I have to teach it to myself". At least two of my IB subjects I was basically self-taught.

In terms of "Is it fair that some people get a better education than you?", I think education is made by how hard you work and what you get out of it. It isn't a case of private vs. state school, but the massive bridge between different schools across the country. Yes, I went to private school, but I also live near one of the best comprehensives in the country. I am sure the level of education there is hugely better than some schools where 5 GCSEs is the primary target.

You as a student can't really make a massive change to the school you attend, but you can try and achieve the best possible result you can. If you truly did achieve significantly above average, even if that is say mainly Bs, then when you apply to universities, you get your referee to tell them that. You hear stories all the time of people struggling through education because of being in a poor school and then working really hard and getting to a good university where everyone is on an even playing field.

You also need to ask yourself, as you seem quite against private schools anyway, that if a university isn't willing to work with/facilitate someone who isn't going to the best of schools but scored well above par in their marks, do you really want to go there anyway?
Original post by JustJen
Completely agree with a lot of what you just said. I've never been to a private school, so I can't comment on personal experience, but I took the 11+ entrance exams in year 6 and went to a Grammar school in central Birmingham.

I would say that the atmosphere in these schools is what makes them successful - the children that pass an entrance exam feel like they deserve to be in school, that they have earned their education, and therefore work that little bit harder to prove themselves. In my school there was a lot of academic competitiveness and Bs were seen as a disappointment (even though we knew they weren't).

I actually acted out against this for a while in years 10 and 11 - I stopped doing homework and started going out a lot more, enjoying the chase when the teachers would track me down and ask why I'd not done the work. Looking back I think this speaks volumes of my school - that the teachers had the time and motivation to care about each individual student meant that no one got left behind. And when it came down to it, I sat in my room and taught myself a lot of the material I'd intentionally missed. I ended up with 6A*s, 5As, 1B and know I could have done better. But sometimes such a high pressure environment can be just as a distracting as a "poorly functioning" state school. At the end of the day I think it's up to individual motivation and home environment. If you want to do well and work hard, you will get good results. The problem I see at the moment is that students don't see the point in doing well, and if their parents, brothers, sisters and extended family didn't go on to further education then they might well follow their example. It's not that students in private schools are more intelligent (though given the extensive entrance screening there is certainly a case for that) or that state school students are all doomed to fail. It's more a case that private schools can offer a better living to teachers and therefore attract more qualified or more enthusiastic staff, and this motiviation is passed along to the students. Students who are already motivated to prove that they deserve the money being spent on their education.

And before anyone attacks me for generalisation and not knowing what I'm talking about, I've actually got a lot of experience working with underpriveleged kids. I've been working in a state school in Nottingham for the past couple of years, particularly working on literacy, because students' parents and teachers never take the time to make sure they can read. Sadly I've worked with year 9 students who cannot even read 2 pages of Harry Potter in 90minutes. This is all because of home environment, attitude and a general apathy that we're suffering with at the moment - teachers and students alike. As a teacher (in training) and given a choice of career, I'm not ashamed to admit that, while I might want to make a difference, I'd happily accept a job in a private or grammar school if I could get one, simply because the learning environment there is so much more positive.

This is a really good post! You seem to agree with me that there are two main factors: environment and individual and that they both play a key part in how well you do. My girlfriend has just started attending college and is doing very well, but it is down to the fact she works bloody hard, yet some people on her course can't be bothered. Is it down to the fact that she has a better/worse educational experience at college? No, she has exactly the same, she is just one of the ones who can actually be bothered.
If you can't buy advantages, what the bloody hell is the point in having money?
Original post by hypercaine.
I went to a state school, not even a particularly good one but I came out with 12 GCSEs A*-B and 3 A levels A*-B so I can hardly complain, im now studying at a top 3 uni where most people come from private and fee paying schools. Just goes to show that no matter what school you go to and what kind of teachers you have, you can still do well if you want to.

What is "a top 3 university"?

Care to mention?
Original post by zedbrar
Which is the exact reason it is inherently fair. If my parents could of afforded to pay the extravagant amounts demanded by private schools to guarantee me such an "extra avantage", I'm sure they would of. But the point being, they couldn't do that for me, so I have to make do without this advantage. One does not choose what social class they are born into, but that social class pretty much decides how well or how badly they will do in education, which in turn will determine what career they get which will in turn decide how well their children do educationally. It's an endless cycle.

What do you propose to combat against this?

If you had kids and were rich - surely you would do whatever you can to ensure they had the best education?
Original post by zedbrar
It is easier said than done. I think what you have done is exceptional and commendable but it is not always that easy. A whole host of other factors can also be a great hindrance. Fot example, the home environment can also be a major factor. If you have parents who regard education as important and push for you to do well, you generally will work harder. Peer pressure can also greatly affect a student and also the catchment area of the school is also another great factor.

What can the government do about a child's home environment?

That argument is pathetic. You could use that same argument to a person born into slavery. Life isn't fair, they should accept it? I'll agree life isn't fair, but it doesn't mean that we should not try and alter the status quo!

How are you going to do that?

The question is, why not try and make education more fair? Why should I accept the status quo?

People DO work their way out, but not everyone. A large majority of people stay trapped within the cycle.

1. Not everyone can move up the ladder.
2. Someone people can't be bothered/don't care.
Reply 191
Why you rather they come to already over-crowded public schools and make your education even more worse?
Reply 192
I'm going to a private school. To get there I had to work hard to get a scholarship as my parents could not afford it. Teachers were great and really helped me but their teaching would be useless to me if I had not listened in class or had not attended. Surely enough I would not get the grades I wanted if I hadn't studied enough. None of my parents went to university so I couldn't expect help with studying, they really helped by creating a suitable environment for me to learn though, which I really appreciate. Most of my friends go to a state school. When I study they are usually out, yet I know that when results come out they will be telling me how I was privileged to attend a private school. It would be a fairer comparison if you actually worked for your exams before comparing yourself to private school students. There is more competition between students in private schools which also contributes to personal development I think. I believe it is unfair that I am at home revising while my friends are at the cinema but it was my choice right? Right, just like it was my choice to go to a private school. I was fortunate to have a choice but since I was given the opportunity for better education I want to make the most of it.

I'm not really bothered by the comparison of private schools and state schools and agree that we have an advantage over state school students, what I don't understand is why the OP insists that there should be no private schools for fairer admission to universities. The question is not to make students of private schools achieve lower grades by not having access to private schools, it is how can ALL students in any school can reach their maximum potential. The level of education provided by private schools is not about how rich the school is, it is about how it is organised. This can be used as a model by state schools to improve their standard rather than bringing all schools DOWN to one standard.

Asking to remove all private schools because they provide better standards of education to the wealthy is like asking Germany to change the way it operates to match the standard of other EU countries and make it fairer for all European citizens to find a job, instead of using Germany as a model.
You can't blame state schools for preventing you from getting A*'s compared to private schools. You will always be given the chance to learn the education that will get you an A*. The only thing, that i presume is restricting you is that in State Schools, you will end up getting the "immature" students, as compared to Private Schools where you will most likely have none. Therefore, in State Schools, these "immature" students can have a big affect on you, because they will disrupt lessons preventing your learning. This wouldn't happen as much in a Private School.

Secondly, why do you think these student get A*'s? Do you just think they are spoon fed information and that the teachers get the grades for them?

Stop trying to live a dream where you will just get handed qualifications of the best grade, if you want to do A levels, then you better learn fast. Meaning, you better learn that independent learning is key! From what i have heard, children in Private Schools will do several hours of studying a night. YOU have to take responsibility. You will find that those who do achieve high grades in a State School, may not always be the most intelligent, but they will be determined to;
-) Concentrate in class
-) Learn the information given to them
-) Study Independently

Ultimately, stop trying to blame State Schools for a problem that is much your own, as in either case it is possible to achieve A*'s. If you want them that much, and if they are that important to you, then you should have done better to learn the work you were given and to learn the information required. Don't assume that Private School children gain a better opportunity either, the opportunity is there for everybody.
Original post by Miracle Day

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
50% of Oxbridge undergrads are from private schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

To become a teacher at a private school you don't need a teaching qualification that takes about a year to get, if you want to teach in a state school. All they usually require is that you have a degree in the subject you teach and have really good experience. So private schools get to hand pick the teachers they want basically. My Dad's a teacher in a state school, and I go to private school. He did PPE at Oxford and got a double first, but that still wasn't good enough to teach economics at my school!!! He's really happy where he is though and all his students love him.

I think the higher grades in private schools is down to this mainly - the type of teachers you get. Out of my teachers alone, one of my politics teachers worked for Gordon Brown, another has worked for loads of British MPs and worked in US Congress, and he's only 20 something. They also do things like write novels and musicals and loads of other crap.

I think it's REALLY unfair that private schools can do that. I'm very thankful for the education i've had, but I just wish that everyone had equal access to this level of teaching. Why you wouldn't want equality of opportunity completely baffles me. There are students on bursaries or who don't pay fees at the school I went to because they're really clever or they've got an extraordinary talent, but that's still not enough for the people who could get the grades that private school kids get, but just can't afford it.

Inspiring teaching leads to inspired students. Smaller classes mean that teachers can really connect with their students and keep them engaged, maximising lesson time. Students then put more value on getting high grades and do better because of the teaching they get.

However, there are some big parts of schooling that private schools are crap at. Pastoral care is awful, because there can be so much emphasis on grades that development of students as individuals can be completely lost.

I've got 3 siblings, 2 of us went to private and the other 2 went to local state schools, so I really have seen the difference it makes.
Original post by _Morsey_
You can't blame state schools for preventing you from getting A*'s compared to private schools. You will always be given the chance to learn the education that will get you an A*. The only thing, that i presume is restricting you is that in State Schools, you will end up getting the "immature" students, as compared to Private Schools where you will most likely have none. Therefore, in State Schools, these "immature" students can have a big affect on you, because they will disrupt lessons preventing your learning. This wouldn't happen as much in a Private School.

Secondly, why do you think these student get A*'s? Do you just think they are spoon fed information and that the teachers get the grades for them?

Stop trying to live a dream where you will just get handed qualifications of the best grade, if you want to do A levels, then you better learn fast. Meaning, you better learn that independent learning is key! From what i have heard, children in Private Schools will do several hours of studying a night. YOU have to take responsibility. You will find that those who do achieve high grades in a State School, may not always be the most intelligent, but they will be determined to;
-) Concentrate in class
-) Learn the information given to them
-) Study Independently

Ultimately, stop trying to blame State Schools for a problem that is much your own, as in either case it is possible to achieve A*'s. If you want them that much, and if they are that important to you, then you should have done better to learn the work you were given and to learn the information required. Don't assume that Private School children gain a better opportunity either, the opportunity is there for everybody.

I do A levels and I'm on track for AAB so don't assume anything. It doesn't matter what you say, evidence shows if I went to a private school my grades would be much better.
Original post by bownessie

In terms of "Is it fair that some people get a better education than you?", I think education is made by how hard you work and what you get out of it. It isn't a case of private vs. state school, but the massive bridge between different schools across the country. Yes, I went to private school, but I also live near one of the best comprehensives in the country. I am sure the level of education there is hugely better than some schools where 5 GCSEs is the primary target.

You as a student can't really make a massive change to the school you attend, but you can try and achieve the best possible result you can. If you truly did achieve significantly above average, even if that is say mainly Bs, then when you apply to universities, you get your referee to tell them that. You hear stories all the time of people struggling through education because of being in a poor school and then working really hard and getting to a good university where everyone is on an even playing field.

Ultimately it really is because there's a massive difference in performance of state schools and private schools, and it doesn't matter if you tell me "I could have tried harder" etc.. perhaps if I went to a private school I would have tried harder. I'm not sure what the differences are because I've been in a state school all my life but in black and white.. people with money that attend private schools get significantly better grades than those that dont.
Reply 197
Ultimately the government would not be able to afford for all students to have a state education if private schools were abolished, the budgets are stretched enough as it is
Reply 198
Its simple, improve the quality of education at state schools, rather than bringing the benchmark down by abolishing private schools.

Oh, and philosophy should be compulsory by age 7.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
The state school I went to received a poor ofsted report the year after my yeargroup left and I still got 9A*s and 4As. Some of the teachers were bad but some were fantastic. Good teachers are invaluable to schools and I think private schools can afford to hire better teachers whereas state schools often have to hire whoever they can get. We had a drop out trainee geography teacher in our maths department for 2 years because nobody else wanted the job. Maybe that has some bearing on why more private schoolers get good results. I don't know since I've never experienced private schooling.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending