The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 3A Summer 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
can someone PLEASE explain the general atmospheric circulation (coriolis force, hadley cells, ITCZ...) PLEAAASE! i'm panicking too much right now. ahaha
Reply 1741
anyone who is doing PLATE TECTONICS may find this useful .. they are 2 sets of notes on plate tectonics ...

check the vid out, for badly drawn but good examples and stuff of landforms at plate boundaries!!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mizz_S
thats correct on your types of waves. I got taught that L waves are a type of secondary waves, that are not as bad as P waves, but I will read up on that and see what the answer truly is :s-smilie:. Do you feel like you hardly know anything of what you are supposed to know?? :frown:

Im confident theory wise its just case study facts and figures esp when it comes to global warming and sea level rises, kyoto emission %'s etc
Original post by Mizz_S
anyone who is doing PLATE TECTONICS may find this useful .. they are 2 sets of notes on plate tectonics ...

check the vid out, for badly drawn but good examples and stuff of landforms at plate boundaries!!

You are what i would call a babe!
Original post by izzwizz
I'm not sure if anyone has replied to you or if this will be of any help..

But the Hadley cell is the cell around the equator, due to the high angle of incidence from the sun it intensely heats the earth causing air to rise. This causes an area of low pressure at the equator from the rising air, which cools, condenses forming clouds and percipitation later in the day. The rising air then moves 30 degrees N and S of the equator where it begins to sink forming an area of high pressure at the tropics of Capricorn and Cancer. Here there is little rainfall and due to still quite a high incidence from the sun and high radiation levels high temperatures. Some of the air is then transferred back to the equator as trade winds.
Other moves as westerly winds across the surface to meet polar winds. This creates an area of low pressure as the two air masses meet, the hot air is forced upwards which cools, condenses and falls as rain. This happens 60 degrees N and S of the equator and is an area where depressions can form. Some of this air of course moves towards the poles. It the sinks since there is an area of high pressure at the poles and little precipitation. The movement of relatively warmer air to the poles helps address the energy deficit.

No idea if that would have helped but try watching this if not...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye45DGkqUkE

Thank you so much! Yep that makes sense, good luck with tomorrow!! :biggrin:
Reply 1745
Original post by Keiran:.
Im confident theory wise its just case study facts and figures esp when it comes to global warming and sea level rises, kyoto emission %'s etc

i believe case studies throw everybody off the rail!! human has about a million of them!! soo annoying, lol. but yeah i get you!
Reply 1746
You are what i would call a babe!

lol welcome!!
Reply 1747
Original post by VanessaXD
world cities, globalisation + plate tectonics.... wbu?

eeww... two human!! okay i can't really talk considering it it my degree path, ahaa. I'm doing development, plates and ecosystems!! :smile:
Reply 1748
ecosystem notes!! they are pretty good :smile:
Original post by LauraaB
can someone PLEASE explain the general atmospheric circulation (coriolis force, hadley cells, ITCZ...) PLEAAASE! i'm panicking too much right now. ahaha

Watch this video, it explains it all :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye45DGkqUkE
Reply 1750
Original post by emilysadlerx
Original post by MsAtanda

Ok thanks, what sort of organisations in Mumbai were there to help? :smile:

It was mainly the corporate sector i believe. You can watch this video...it is really helpful!!

http://aquinasgeographya21112.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/dharavi-slum-regeneration.html
Original post by Robbie Giles
Hmmm. I seem to remember doing quite a few practice seismic 40 markers. Maybe I'm just being delusional in the face of the exam!
I'm praying for a Seismic 40 marker now.

The only purely earthquake essay was in either june/jan 11 :smile: the rest have either been just volcano based or a combination of both :smile:

I'm hoping for a seismic! Either Tsunamis or management and responses :smile:
Original post by Mizz_S
eeww... two human!! okay i can't really talk considering it it my degree path, ahaa. I'm doing development, plates and ecosystems!! :smile:

ino haha development is horrible D: what r ur predictions for it?
Reply 1753
ino haha development is horrible D: what r ur predictions for it?

i do globalisation in eco so its a little easy but the amount of case studies is disgusting!! its stupid with how much they expect you to learn and remember! one human and one physical is more than enough for me!! i put predictions up somewhere on here, just don't know which posts it is though!! i think TNCs may come up for D&G as well as development issues and LDCs. what you doing your essay on? world cities or D&G?
P- Fastest
S- Half as fast and move right angles to direction of movement
L- Responsible for vertical ground movement (liquefaction)

Just a question would L waves not be more dangerous then P waves? Earthquake proof buildings are built to resist horizontal movement not so much vertical?

surface waves cause the most destruction as they are nearer the surface. They're slower than P and S waves but cause the land to move sideways and up and down
Original post by Mizz_S
i do globalisation in eco so its a little easy but the amount of case studies is disgusting!! its stupid with how much they expect you to learn and remember! one human and one physical is more than enough for me!! i put predictions up somewhere on here, just don't know which posts it is though!! i think TNCs may come up for D&G as well as development issues and LDCs. what you doing your essay on? world cities or D&G?

ino right, just too much to learn.... deffo gonna do the smaller questions for D&G + essay on world cities, more confident on that (:
Original post by M.dale
If not out-of-town retailing for WC 40 marker, what else could pop up as the 40 marker?! :O

they only seem to ask about urban regeneration and transport management so hoping for retail
Original post by jamesrunacres
surface waves cause the most destruction as they are nearer the surface. They're slower than P and S waves but cause the land to move sideways and up and down

Sorry, but I know we need to know this, but it came up in the Jan 2012 paper :smile: Asking to outline the features of seismic waves :smile:
Reply 1758
ino right, just too much to learn.... deffo gonna do the smaller questions for D&G + essay on world cities, more confident on that (:

thats good :smile:. the look of the human questions in jan looked pretty vague to me though .. that seemed to be a slight problem!
Reply 1759
Original post by d_aan
you would describe the three different waves, Primary, secondary and i think the third is surface waves? I think this came up last paper or the one before so don't think it will come up.

Not revised these, what are the important parts about them?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending