The Student Room Group

OCR B F335 - Chemistry by Design - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

What a horrific paper. Everyone I've spoken too struggled and found it very hard, so the grade boundaries are likely to be pretty low. Even so, horrible paper. And what's more, there was no buffer question which is usually a five marker, the benzene question was confusing, there was no Hsystem/Hsurroundings question...

Waste of revision for the most part, and I worked so hard for that paper too.
Reply 1121
Original post by suggsina
The formula was C6H8O4. so i don't think yours has enough carbon?

I thought it was C4H8O4?
Reply 1122
I got so much wrong! Oh dear. I think I needed a B/C in this exam though, for an A overall, so hopefully it will be fine ...hopefully.
Original post by Birterillo
Could you explain which question this is? Panicking I don't recognise it at all...

this was the massive molecule with three benzene rings... ring a bell? (pardon the pun :P :P)
Reply 1124
Original post by navarre
What a horrific paper. Everyone I've spoken too struggled and found it very hard, so the grade boundaries are likely to be pretty low. Even so, horrible paper. And what's more, there was no buffer question which is usually a five marker, the benzene question was confusing, there was no Hsystem/Hsurroundings question...

Waste of revision for the most part, and I worked so hard for that paper too.

I completely agree. What a waste of time it was revising!
Reply 1125
so everyone found it hard.. this means low grade boundaries.
which is a good thing right?
does anyone have like an unofficial markscheme or maybe remember some of the questions... ive had a mindblank now
Im worried now wether i put -38 or +38 for the delta H solution. I really need to look at this paper tomorrow now just to put my mind at rest. On some of the questions i think (and hope) that i have somehow fluked the answer like on the concentration of nitrogen one, and the colour of the gas. There are loads of places where i have dropped silly marks. Was there a question about a conjugate acid/base after the notrating mixture equation one?
The grade boundaries may be slightly lower but I doubt they will make up for how difficult and unexpected a lot of the questions were in this paper. Unfortunately the grade boundaries never really change that much.

For instance for an A:
June 10: 85
Jan 11: 80
June 11: 81
Jan 12: 83

So the best we can hope for is 80/120 for an A, 71 for a B etc...
Original post by Hazel247
Did anyone put sulphonic Acid for one? I think it was a 'name this compound' or something?

i literally cannot remember anything on this! please can you jog my memory?
It was hydrogen sulfate..

What was the percentage yield question?

I did 9/15 :s
Reply 1131
Original post by I failed badly
Im worried now wether i put -38 or +38 for the delta H solution. I really need to look at this paper tomorrow now just to put my mind at rest. On some of the questions i think (and hope) that i have somehow fluked the answer like on the concentration of nitrogen one, and the colour of the gas. There are loads of places where i have dropped silly marks. Was there a question about a conjugate acid/base after the notrating mixture equation one?

I put -38, do you know what the right answer was??
I too found some hope in the fact that the grade boundaries would be lower... however, as Montstar correctly implied, the boundaries wont fall significantly enough to compensate the lost marks in an exam this confusing... shame... i was looking forward to going Cardiff...
Original post by TheStudent.
It was hydrogen sulfate..

What was the percentage yield question?

I did 9/15 :s

i got hydrogen sulfate :smile:
Original post by master_blaster66
i got hydrogen sulfate :smile:

What did you get for the percentage yield? I know its only 2 marks lol but its really annoying me D:
Reply 1135
Original post by samstoo93
I too found some hope in the fact that the grade boundaries would be lower... however, as Montstar correctly implied, the boundaries wont fall significantly enough to compensate the lost marks in an exam this confusing... shame... i was looking forward to going Cardiff...

I know thats my first choice too... :frown:
Reply 1136
What did you get for the percentage yield? I know its only 2 marks lol but its really annoying me D:

i think i got 78% or something like that
Original post by aim28
I know thats my first choice too... :frown:

Original post by samstoo93

Unless you know for certain you've lost 40+ marks, there's still hope :biggrin: plus you've got your coursework and the next exam to redeem yourselves in.
Original post by aim28
i think i got 78% or something like that

How did you work it out?
Reply 1139
How did you work it out?

Umm calculated the moles of each of the molecules and divided the actual number of moles formed by the theoretical number of moles, and times the whole thing by 100. not sure if its right, but thats how i did it :smile:

Do you know what the answer for the entropy change was, i got -38 but im not sure its right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending