The Student Room Group

AQA Business Studies BUSS4 2012 - 21 June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Im not sure what to feel about this, i think i interpreted questions wrong slightly

I chose question 2 and 3

Question two i did last and waffled on a bit and didnt finish
but put down about how :
-cadbury was already market leader and had most market share
-benefit from operating under the name because of brand recognition therefore no need for rebranding and excessive marketing

-the transition was fairly smooth, although two different cultures shared the same objectives
-they tried to minimise job losses which increased motivation ...spoke about benefits of this
but did put about them closing down a factory

I THEN WENT ON TO SAY (is this wrong)...AT&T they had a social responsibility..
-operating monopolies = job losses
-spoke about negative press could mean loosing customers = negative
-spoke about nike and their sweatshops? (I've just realised this was not a merger nor tkeover sighhh)

QUESTION 3: TECHNOLOGY
from what i've been reading i should have answered culture ?

spoke about technology being a dynamic business sector constantly changing and advancing
-wrote about apple having strategy of research and devel therefore first movers advantage and niche...samsung followed soon after and now they both are leader and increased market share..spoke about how their shareholder now wouldnt mind paying a higher price for shares as the would get higher return on investment..

spoke about the fact that nokia DIDNT do this and therefore lost significant share and they were once market leaders, Apple, HTC and Blackberry overtook them with their attention to market research and responding to consumer needs

spoke about HMV lack of innovation causing them to loose out to Amazon and Love Film, as technology advanced, they were able to spot niches and such

-chucked in a bit of ansoffs matrix tlking about diversification being the low cost and low risk option so should minimise risk
-bitta boston matrix saying that the computers could be a cash cow and if all fails they could launch it in an emerging market where technology wouldnt have moved on yet. and fact that older generation may still be interested
-spoke about shareholders wanting there return back quickly
-depends on financial position of market! will they need new staff? with all the new tech theyd need to retrain staff?
-shareholders may be willing to delay dividends if they were sure theyd be getting a higher return
-number one rule in business is high risk = high reward
-should take time i development to reduce the risk of wasting money and potentially folding like hmw having to close stores and cut jobs

-finally....short term financial blow...long term financial benefits and market benefits
Reply 1201
For Emerging markets question, were you suppose to talk about other ways to increase sales or just only talk about Emerging markets?

I focused entirely on Emerging Markets and I gave 3 businesses - Dyson, JLR and Tesco + talked about low level of disposable income and how Infrastructure can effect sales etc. I talked about each business in depth and how they benefit from Emerging Markets and put my arguments For and Against.

... Im getting confused whether i answered it wrong.
Original post by Indyy
For Emerging markets question, were you suppose to talk about other ways to increase sales or just only talk about Emerging markets?

I focused entirely on Emerging Markets and I gave 3 businesses - Dyson, JLR and Tesco + talked about low level of disposable income and how Infrastructure can effect sales etc. I talked about each business in depth and how they benefit from Emerging Markets and put my arguments For and Against.

I got a bit confused as well, so I did for and against emerging markets and then included other strategies, e.g. focusing on domestic market but using strategies to entice the customers and then talked about doing a takeover/ merger, so kinda did a bit of both just in case haha!
Defo didn't do as well as I did on section A I don't think so just relying on section A to get me good marks hopefully!! :smile:
Original post by Indyy

Well I hope you didn't justly explain why emerging markets was a good way. If you explained why it isn't good thatll get you some marks. What I did was say a point for emerging then my points against was just you can use other strategies like Porter's generic strategies e.g differentiation. Blah blah blah

Sent from le me via HTC Desire S
Reply 1204
Original post by Tukmyster
Well I hope you didn't justly explain why emerging markets was a good way. If you explained why it isn't good thatll get you some marks. What I did was say a point for emerging then my points against was just you can use other strategies like Porter's generic strategies e.g differentiation. Blah blah blah

I gave good and bad points about Emerging Markets and backed it up with business examples..
Original post by Indyy
I gave good and bad points about Emerging Markets and backed it up with business examples..

You should be fine. :wink: possibly lol

I didn't refer to the case study in section A but used research to back up my points :frown: how many marks will I lose? and does anyone know the grade boundaries?? In Jan it was 56/80 for an A
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1207
Original post by MaryMary234
I didn't refer to the case study in section A but used research to back up my points :frown: how many marks will I lose? and does anyone know the grade boundaries?? Jan 56/80 was and A

Neither did I. I didn't even see the CASE STUDY. Just went straight to the questions. Been really down about it but nothing we can do now. Not too sure how many marks we will loose.
Reply 1208
Original post by TB.93
Neither did I. I didn't even see the CASE STUDY. Just went straight to the questions. Been really down about it but nothing we can do now. Not too sure how many marks we will loose.

Hey, I did the same by not really including the case study but I'm sure the question said use reference to the case and/or your own research? :s-smilie:
Original post by MaryMary234
I didn't refer to the case study in section A but used research to back up my points :frown: how many marks will I lose? and does anyone know the grade boundaries?? Jan 56/80 was and A

I reckon grade boundaries will be pretty high as it was easy and I think loadsss of people did well so...

I done emerging markets, and then talked about diversification to increase sales to produce higher profits.. I talked about Richard Branson and Virgin, especially with Virgin Galactic.. I then added a paragraph about market development/product development from Kraft. I used Tata as an example of positive sales in emerging markets, but then referenced Starbucks and the teething problems they experienced. I also briefly mentioned how IPhone sales are high in China, and how Kelloggs failed to enter emerging markets with its cereals, because of how the culture/tradition (global-localisation) differed. I wrote Kelloggs strategy was to purchase Pringles, a global brand.. I put a lot of theory in there, but my structure was well messed.. I also had a paragraph in there discussing the push and pull factors, of how emerging markets can be favourable in terms of getting high sales... increasing GDP, population has grown, rising income and expenditure.. but legislation may be different, diseconomies of scale, language barriers etc

For section A i didn't mention the item... mainly because i couldn't figure how to reference it, and if i'm honest, i rushed to the questions and started my plan. I did question 02. Spoke about Disney and Pixars merger success, Tatas success, and then contrasted in with BMW/Rover.. Also managed to add in key performance indicators for Kraft. Again, structure was a bit over the place, and i didn't reference the item, so don't know if thats a mistake i will regret.

Grade boundaries shouldn't increase too high.. maybe by 1 or 2 marks.. Most of the people in my college found the paper hard.. Remember its not about how we found it, it depends on the overall performance..Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1211
Luckily I had revised and done practice questions on Political intervention and Golbalisation the night before :smile: hopefully ive done okay, I need a B to get a B overall as I messed up my BUSS 3 exam :frown:

For Political intervention- Newscorp and sky- In the publics interest. HP/ Heinz not in the publics interest

For Lloyds tsb/abbey- Reduce competition and create a monoply of power, likewise with the business in the case study

Against- Tata/JLR- encorouges inward investment, Compared it to The cadbury law( Kraft and cadbury), which showed that depending on the effect of the deal the government had to intervine

Globalisation/ emerging markets

For - Joseph joseph- Increased profits from day one focusing on an innovative stratergy, / Coca cola adapted stratergy as they saw the potential of growing market with growing middle classes

Against- Tesco- failed, John lewis- stayed with domestic market

Against- Kellogs- Failed to adapt to cultural needs, Unilever they did

btw did it in a lot more detail than this :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1212
Original post by Mr.money
how did u know what questions wer gona come up ?

because on tutor 2 u - they had a what might come up section - with i think it was 6 headings out of which i revised 2 and emerging markets was 1
:cool:
did anyone answer question 1 from section B, if they did, what did they write? im not sure if i interpreted the question correctly and am worried as i needed 90 ums in this for my A*
Original post by LukeTheodosiou
did anyone answer question 1 from section B, if they did, what did they write? im not sure if i interpreted the question correctly and am worried as i needed 90 ums in this for my A*

The government intervention one?
I did,
I put, first paragraph was yes should intervene to protect employees, usually employees lose jobs due to cutting costs etc, counter argument was that could have got sacked if takeover did not happen i.e. company going into admin so takeover saved them, then it depends on like if its only gonna be a few jobs or whole communities devastated

2nd paragraph, yes should intervene to potent consumers, talked about monopolies, counter argument was that does provide some benefits for consumers e.g. more product range due to combination of expertise and more locations etc

3rd paragraph, no shouldn't because deters foreign investment, we need investment atm cus economy is bad and shareholders don't wanna invest etc, counter argument was that foreign investors might actually be bad cus of not understanding culture!

went something like that! Did you put something on the lines of that?
Original post by hannahlw21
The government intervention one?
I did,
I put, first paragraph was yes should intervene to protect employees, usually employees lose jobs due to cutting costs etc, counter argument was that could have got sacked if takeover did not happen i.e. company going into admin so takeover saved them, then it depends on like if its only gonna be a few jobs or whole communities devastated

2nd paragraph, yes should intervene to potent consumers, talked about monopolies, counter argument was that does provide some benefits for consumers e.g. more product range due to combination of expertise and more locations etc

3rd paragraph, no shouldn't because deters foreign investment, we need investment atm cus economy is bad and shareholders don't wanna invest etc, counter argument was that foreign investors might actually be bad cus of not understanding culture!

went something like that! Did you put something on the lines of that?

thanks for the reply but i meant question one from section B, the one about "should businesses avoid changing strategies because of risks"
thanks for the reply but i meant question one from section B, the one about "should businesses avoid changing strategies because of risks"

haha my bad I didn't even read that you said section B! sorry I didn't do that one! hope someone replies for you :smile:
haha my bad I didn't even read that you said section B! sorry I didn't do that one! hope someone replies for you :smile:

haha thanks, how did you find the exam overall anyway?
haha thanks, how did you find the exam overall anyway?

I think it well well actually! so much better than expected! but all of my school found it okay too so I'm guessing the grade boundaries are gonna be sky high! how did you find it?
I think it well well actually! so much better than expected! but all of my school found it okay too so I'm guessing the grade boundaries are gonna be sky high! how did you find it?

i thought it could have gone a lot worse, but i don't think i explained my points in enough detail, and i need to get 90 ums so its gonna be tough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending