The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Who do you respect more, a bin man or a maths professor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
A maths professor...precisely the kind of guy I want in bed with me.

Yeah, because all working class people are clearly lazy and useless.
Original post by c471
What a backwards, and frankly disgusting view.
'I care deeply about womens right, and their right to be treated as objects of value. Unless they do something I don't like, then they are like trash to me'

The only people who see women in strip clubs are men who go to strip clubs. Not children, not innocent people in the street. Being a stripper does nothing to devalue societies viewpoint.

All they 'build up' is the idea that women are free to do as they wish with their life. But given the absolute crap you spout all over this site, this is probably why you dislike it - afterall, who wants a wife with a mind of her own?

I agree. Women are free to do what the hell they like. If that means stripping and that's what she wants to do, then good for her. Both men and women sexualise themselves, and always have done - it's nothing new. In fact, I'm always inclined to respect someone who stands against the usual perception of them (e.g. prostitutes not deserving respect).

The downside of women having that liberty is that I have little time for women (or men) who claim that they have no choice but to go into prostitution/stripping/etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by cambio wechsel
Question seems unfairly weighted, with the one identified by his title as at the top of his game and the other given only a generic title revealing nothing of his standing relative to his peers.

Should be "Bin Professor or Maths Professor?" to adjust for inteference.

Ha ha, maybe. :smile:

I can't change it now, but I'd probably choose something other than bin person as the counterexample if I did it again, but when I was writing it I was honestly thinking of the latter as a perfectly decent job. I don't mean to upset anyone. A better question might be mathematician or salesperson.
Maths professor, there's no doubt about it. Ambition and intelligence are two traits we should be preserving as a species, not 'settling'. No doubt that bin men are essential for cleaning up our streets, but without the intelligent folk, who gives them the means to do so effectively (think rubbish compactors and so forth).

In a nutshell: both are necessary for functional society, but I regard people who have ambition higher than those who settle. After all, no one really aspires to be a bin man -- it's something you'd do when you're out of better options.
Original post by MJK91
Maths professor, there's no doubt about it. Ambition and intelligence are two traits we should be preserving as a species, not 'settling'. No doubt that bin men are essential for cleaning up our streets, but without the intelligent folk, who gives them the means to do so effectively (think rubbish compactors and so forth).

In a nutshell: both are necessary for functional society, but I regard people who have ambition higher than those who settle. After all, no one really aspires to be a bin man -- it's something you'd do when you're out of better options.

Who's to say that a binman doesn't have ambition? As you said, it's something you do when you don't have a better option. The maths professor might have been in that position at one point.

It sounds to me that you're just pairing intelligence with respect.
Reply 65
I think there's a distinction between respecting someone for their career and respecting someone as a person.
Original post by Rascacielos
Who's to say that a binman doesn't have ambition? As you said, it's something you do when you don't have a better option. The maths professor might have been in that position at one point.

It sounds to me that you're just pairing intelligence with respect.

As above, respecting an individual is not the same thing as respecting their profession.

They may have ambition elsewhere and I'd appreciate that, but that wasn't the scenario given.
Original post by Octohedral
With all due respect, please read the OP.

- I am talking about the profession, not the people. If I could change the title I would, but I can't.
- You are not exactly the first people to say this.

I wasn't referring to your post, it was a point addressed to the reply to my original post above...

I was clarifying that my disrespect for the profession is not the same as disrespect to the person. We're on the same side :wink:
Original post by MJK91
As above, respecting an individual is not the same thing as respecting their profession.

They may have ambition elsewhere and I'd appreciate that, but that wasn't the scenario given.

It wasn't exactly suggested that the binman has no ambition either.

Original post by The Nerd King
x

That depends on whether intelligence is something you work for, or are born with. Personally, I think the latter. Hard work, knowledge, and a good application of one's intelligence, deserve respect. Something which is inherent within you does not.

I wouldn't respect Einstein simply because he was born a genius, but I do respect him because he took that intelligence and did something important with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by MJK91
I wasn't referring to your post, it was a point addressed to the reply to my original post above...

I was clarifying that my disrespect for the profession is not the same as disrespect to the person. We're on the same side :wink:

Oh no, I'm really sorry. Just seen your earlier post - you gave a good answer.

Sorry!!!! I was just frustrated. I can't rep you again, but thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 70
Well if we're talking purely about the profession, not about the person, then the Maths professor.

Academia furthers science, technology, medicine, etc. Manual labour jobs are essential to society, but much more people could do a manual labour job than do a highly academic job, so yeah.
Reply 71
x

Ah, sorry - I thought you were being sarcastic. Please ignore my post. :smile:

I actually disagree with you there - whilst it's certainly a job with negative connotations, and not requiring much training, you are working hard in return for a living, which I think can in no way reflect badly in you. In society you are correct, the bin man will generally not get much respect. However, I don't think it's actively 'bad' - it's just a lack of higher level 'good', if that makes sense.

Only a small percentage of the population is born with the intelligence and family upbringing to become a maths professor, and that's almost entirely down to luck, so you can't be given credit for it. You can, however, be given credit for the hard work it takes to realise that potential. I'm not being totally PC.

It was a bad example, though.

Thank you for your replies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Answering purely the question. Just knowing the information given and nothing else - the proffesor. Only because I personally would respect his choices and proffesion more than the 'bin man' (really hate that term), as they are closer to where my values and aspirations lie :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by KanKan
Answering purely the question. Just knowing the information given and nothing else - the proffesor. Only because I personally would respect his choices and proffesion more than the 'bin man' (really hate that term), as they are closer to where my values and aspirations lie :smile:

I know, I cringe slightly when I read this thread now, but I didn't think using 'bin man' would be a problem at the time. :frown: Waste disposal facilitator?

Thank you for your reply :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Octohedral
I know, I cringe slightly when I read this thread now, but I didn't think using 'bin man' would be a problem at the time. :frown: Waste disposal facilitator?

Thank you for your reply :smile:

Clean Earth Ambassador Extraordinaire :wink:
Original post by Rascacielos
It wasn't exactly suggested that the binman has no ambition either.

And yet his profession implies he is not ambitious.
So many ruthless mother ****ers coming in this thread and choosing the maths prof!
Original post by Observatory
It's kind of a weird distinction. Maths has directly benefited society a lot more than garbage collection. Worst case you would have to drive rubbish to the dump yourself; without maths the industrial economy would be impossible.

If you mean "bin men give us a pay off now; maths professors in a few decades" then you have more of a point but this is a question of short term vs long term perspective, not benefiting society or not.

Actually bin men are constantly in need not just the short term.

Original post by MENDACIUM
In my own humble opinion, a woman who goes to a club, takes her clothes of to the delight of men, thereby selling her body for money, only adds to society the notion that women are sex objects.

One woman does not represent everybody, but this is not simply one woman. Strip clubs are common, and mostly consist of women, and this trickles onto other elements of society, and how young women view themselves.

you do realise there are male strippers as well dont you? Oh and shes not selling her body at al.

And if your going for that - then a math professor is selling his body as well.

x

And who are you to say that bin man is not intelligent? Brains work in many ways - your lauded math professor for instance - may not be able to perform the simplest of manual tasks whereas the bin man might be able to strip a car engine and put it back together. Each person has strengths and weaknesses, as a society ALL jobs has value as all contribute, you can say any old fool all you like but more bin men are needed than math professors.

Anyway sorry OP i couldnt pick an option as i dont view a persons job as to whether i respect them. I can respect both for thier roles
(edited 10 years ago)
While I understand the gist, perhaps a better example would be a Literature professor or History professor.

A Maths professor can directly and significantly benefit society by providing a mathematical theorem which forms the basis of a physical insight that basically contributes towards physics (and I don't think there should be much debate that physics contributes towards society).
Original post by silverbolt
x

Bah humbug, anyone can learn to take an engine apart and put it together again with enough effort. It's a bigger, more complex version of putting blocks together as a child.

How many people could design an engine with enough effort without intelligence? Not many.

Latest

Trending

Trending