The Student Room Group

A2 Government and Politics AQA Govp 4B - 10th June 2013

Hi, I was just curious whether anyone else was sitting this exam and whether you have any tips?

There does seem to be quite a bit leap from AS to A2 in what kind of questions have come up in the past, you have to peel the question more.

Anything would be helpful, predictions or anything. I don't mind sharing tips either, I just didn't see any threads for this exam so thought i'd start one

Scroll to see replies

Is this the ideologies in action paper?
Reply 2
Yes! :smile: how are you finding revision?
It's not the easiest thing to revise, I've found.
awful! I'm doing education + economy and I have got loads of information but struggling to remember it all in fine detail. Are you guys using any textbooks? Any predictions for questions?
Reply 5
Original post by millie-rose
awful! I'm doing education + economy and I have got loads of information but struggling to remember it all in fine detail. Are you guys using any textbooks? Any predictions for questions?

Are you only revising two topics?! I'm doing education, environment and ethnicity and gender :smile: erm I use some of a heywood book but it's not directly linked to the course! Do you?

Erm as for questions I'm not entirely sure! Perhaps for education there could be something based around meritocracy I was thinking :smile: do you have any ideas?
Reply 6
Original post by studentgrace
Are you only revising two topics?! I'm doing education, environment and ethnicity and gender :smile: erm I use some of a heywood book but it's not directly linked to the course! Do you?

Erm as for questions I'm not entirely sure! Perhaps for education there could be something based around meritocracy I was thinking :smile: do you have any ideas?

I'm also doing the economy as well as the environement. I was thinking that taxtion could come up for the 10 marker and something to do with the coalition governement for the 30 marker.

Yeah - I only did two topics in Jan as well and got an A. I have an awful teacher so I have to self-teach and 3 topics is too time consuming to self teach. Apparently though, it's quite common for schools to only teach two anyway!

For education I've been using Key Issues in Education Policy and for economy I've been using A Guide to The British Economy. However, i'm finding it so hard to revise this unit because there's just so much to know and no idea what will come up!!

Mmm education predictions, yes meritocracy is a good one. I think it would be hard for them to ignore Michael Gove's spree of ideological reform, so perhaps something relating to Conservatives and education, something to do with 'traditional' education.
Original post by Erd
I'm also doing the economy as well as the environement. I was thinking that taxtion could come up for the 10 marker and something to do with the coalition governement for the 30 marker.

I also think taxation will come up because of all the tax avoidance recently. What do you think a question on the coalition would be like?
Reply 9
Yeah - I only did two topics in Jan as well and got an A. I have an awful teacher so I have to self-teach and 3 topics is too time consuming to self teach. Apparently though, it's quite common for schools to only teach two anyway!

For education I've been using Key Issues in Education Policy and for economy I've been using A Guide to The British Economy. However, i'm finding it so hard to revise this unit because there's just so much to know and no idea what will come up!!

Mmm education predictions, yes meritocracy is a good one. I think it would be hard for them to ignore Michael Gove's spree of ideological reform, so perhaps something relating to Conservatives and education, something to do with 'traditional' education.

Really? Did you do that all for AS too? I'm curious, i've always revised three topics and in January I thought the paper was quite challenging except the conservatism question and ended up doing a topic I didn't think I would! Yeah in the reports, examiners speak of how everyone from one school tend to do two topics etc.

I think something regarding the curriculum with links to Gove for the 10 mark question is highly likely. I also see links to private and selective education being particularly likely to come up as it hasn't before, which is why I see meritocracy as the essay question.

I have an education powerpoint on getrevising which you can look at if you feel like doing so :smile:... http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/complete_education_powerpoint_aqa_govp4
Really? Did you do that all for AS too? I'm curious, i've always revised three topics and in January I thought the paper was quite challenging except the conservatism question and ended up doing a topic I didn't think I would! Yeah in the reports, examiners speak of how everyone from one school tend to do two topics etc.

I think something regarding the curriculum with links to Gove for the 10 mark question is highly likely. I also see links to private and selective education being particularly likely to come up as it hasn't before, which is why I see meritocracy as the essay question.

I have an education powerpoint on getrevising which you can look at if you feel like doing so :smile:... http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/complete_education_powerpoint_aqa_govp4

Ah thanks for the powerpoint! Will look at that now.

Yeah in January I couldn't believe the amount we had to learn (compared to AS) and just learnt Liberalism & Conservatism. We were taught all four topics but most people in my class just learnt two. A couple learnt three.

Yes I did this for AS level also, participation & pressure groups Unit 1 and constitutions and parliament for Unit 2. There's a risk with doing this but I think if you only study two you can go into depth so much more and make sure there's nothing you miss. Whereas some people only study 2 but don't put any extra effort in than they would have if they were studying 3.

What type of curriculum 10 marker do you think would come up? As in what type of question could they ask?
Reply 11
Ah thanks for the powerpoint! Will look at that now.

Yeah in January I couldn't believe the amount we had to learn (compared to AS) and just learnt Liberalism & Conservatism. We were taught all four topics but most people in my class just learnt two. A couple learnt three.

Yes I did this for AS level also, participation & pressure groups Unit 1 and constitutions and parliament for Unit 2. There's a risk with doing this but I think if you only study two you can go into depth so much more and make sure there's nothing you miss. Whereas some people only study 2 but don't put any extra effort in than they would have if they were studying 3.

What type of curriculum 10 marker do you think would come up? As in what type of question could they ask?

Ah fair enough if it works for you, I ended up the same topics as you in January but I messed up my liberalism one so I was pleased with my B, i'm sure if i'd got my paper back the difference in marks between the essays would be shocking!

I don't remember what topics I did for AS except that for unit 2 I skipped multi-level governance. I enjoy politics so don't mind learning 3 topics because it makes me feel more prepared I guess and has worked to my ability in AS.

I'd assume something just like explain what is meant by curriculum, or argue the right ideological case for a national curriculum etc. It's in the specification so it could be asked and most previous 10 mark questions have been from the key concepts you are meant to learn :smile:
Reply 12
I also think taxation will come up because of all the tax avoidance recently. What do you think a question on the coalition would be like?

Maybe something like, The Conservative and Liberal Democrats have become a coalition with their economic policy. Discuss. :/
is this ideologies 4b? Feminism, Muilticulturalism, Nationalism, Ecology?
Reply 14
Original post by mandem2k11
is this ideologies 4b? Feminism, Muilticulturalism, Nationalism, Ecology?

Yes.
Reply 15
I too am doing this exam - not looking forward to it in the slightest.
No textbook = a nightmare. I just have random notes here and there along with many sheets :s so I find it SO hard to revise this :frown:

I'm also going to be doing Education & The Economy. So if anyone knows of any good sites/resources, please do link me up! Also, if anyone has good notes themselves and would like to share, that would be much appreciated - as my notes suck tbh :tongue:.

On a lighter note, I hope revision is going well for everyone!
Reply 16
Original post by av_kidd
I too am doing this exam - not looking forward to it in the slightest.
No textbook = a nightmare. I just have random notes here and there along with many sheets :s so I find it SO hard to revise this :frown:

I'm also going to be doing Education & The Economy. So if anyone knows of any good sites/resources, please do link me up! Also, if anyone has good notes themselves and would like to share, that would be much appreciated - as my notes suck tbh :tongue:.

On a lighter note, I hope revision is going well for everyone!

Yeah not having a textbook isn't great but I have noticed they do seem to be much more flexible in the markscheme. On a ten marker about assimilation and integration, marks could be awarded if you spoke about multiculturalism in Britain which is totally not answering the question.

well I have some resources on education on get revising, I've linked a PowerPoint earlier on in the thread and tutors2u have some things sometimes but can be fairly outdated :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah that's a fair point actually.
Ah I see, I hope the real exam is just as kind and open too!

Just checked that out, the PowerPoint is really useful - thanks.
Original post by Erd
Maybe something like, The Conservative and Liberal Democrats have become a coalition with their economic policy. Discuss. :/

Oh lord - where would you start?
I'm doing ethnicity and gender. What do you think the 10 marker will be.

Does anyone have any extensive notes on the environment? And Education?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending