The Student Room Group

Do somalis/arabs have strong prejudice towards south Asians?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ZazDogg
Somali is an ethnic group but Ethiopia isn't. Ethiopia has hundreds of different ethnic groups
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_groups_in_Ethiopia
It is often thought that black people are all the same, but Sub Saharan Africa has much more genetic diversity than the rest of the world put together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a lot about ethnic diversity within Africa, I'm from South Africa myself and aware of all the different tribes and ethnic groups that exist within that single country alone never mind the rest of Africa. However in the case of Ethiopia the two dominant ethnic groups, Oromo and Amhara, look in my opinion remarkably similar to each other and Somalis.
Reply 41
Original post by Swanbow
I know a lot about ethnic diversity within Africa, I'm from South Africa myself and aware of all the different tribes and ethnic groups that exist within that single country alone never mind the rest of Africa. However in the case of Ethiopia the two dominant ethnic groups, Oromo and Amhara, look in my opinion remarkably similar to each other and Somalis.

Those three ethnic groups are often stereotyped for having large foreheads and saying "Wallahi" in every sentence. The different ethnic groups have different religious compositions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by ZazDogg
Those three ethnic groups are often stereotyped for having large foreheads and saying "Wallahi" in every sentence. The different ethnic groups have different religious compositions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to mention Beta Israel either...
Reply 43
Original post by Fabz_x
Oh haha, oops on the last one D:
How do you know all this?:eek::confused:

Your turn..
1. أ一位攀附着的手,让鲜花的香味。
2. 残り物には福がある
2. 사랑 하는 더, 당신이 얻을 무서 하기 때문에 중요 사람은 사람의 손실을 더욱을 다치게 이다.”

^ That will be harddd, hahah :P

Chinese
Japanese
Korean

Where's my medal.
Reply 44
Original post by Another
Am I the only person on TSR who can't tell a somalian/nigerian/ghanain/west african apart from each other, or tell an arab apart from a pakistani or any other south asian.

Like seriously, how do you guys do it.

We have friends from different cultures..and spend time with them. ¬¬ The more you know people from a diverse cultures, the more you notice their features. so don't be so ignorant
Reply 45
Original post by temi1234
We have friends from different cultures..and spend time with them. ¬¬ The more you know people from a diverse cultures, the more you notice their features. so don't be so ignorant

I have friends from the Carribean, Malawi, Nigeria, Ghana, India, Pakistan, Scotland, France, China, Vietnam, Wales, and that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

I just tend not to give a damn about where people are from, and I wouldn't of known if they hadn't mentioned it in a conversation. I see people for who they are, not as a country. When I meet someone for the first time, I don't think to myself "Oh, he looks like a Somali!" I think "Oh, he looks like a very nice person." So don't talk to me about ignorance.
Reply 46
Original post by Fabz_x
Oh haha, oops on the last one D:
How do you know all this?:eek::confused:

Your turn..
1. أ一位攀附着的手,让鲜花的香味。
2. 残り物には福がある
2. 사랑 하는 더, 당신이 얻을 무서 하기 때문에 중요 사람은 사람의 손실을 더욱을 다치게 이다.”

^ That will be harddd, hahah :P

Chinese
Japanese
Korean
Reply 47
Original post by ZazDogg
Turkish used to be written in the persio arabic script. What about
1. Ma kam gana Iqbalkaha gaeko thie. (Supposed to be in devenagari script)
2. Kem cho (your arch rivals)

Posted from TSR Mobile

XD This is hard (srsly)
Hindi (if it's in devengari, 'twould be my guess)
:confused: Arch Rivals (I have no rival - nor do I aspire to have one)!?
er, er....er, um, Urdu, Pashto and Chinese are the only languages of apparent rivals I can think of
Reply 48
Original post by Ornlu
XD This is hard (srsly)
Hindi (if it's in devengari, 'twould be my guess)
:confused: Arch Rivals (I have no rival - nor do I aspire to have one)!?
er, er....er, um, Urdu, Pashto and Chinese are the only languages of apparent rivals I can think of

The first one is actually Nepali, which is very similar to Bengali. In fact we have two districts in West Bengal that speak Nepali as a first language.
The second one is Gujarati. They are the rivals with Punjabi people. Have you not watched Kal Ho Naa Ho? There are a lot of both Punjabis and Gujaratis in this country. I think I prefer Gujaratis as they created Chevdo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by ZazDogg
The first one is actually Nepali, which is very similar to Bengali. In fact we have two districts in West Bengal that speak Nepali as a first language.
The second one is Gujarati. They are the rivals with Punjabi people. Have you not watched Kal Ho Naa Ho? There are a lot of both Punjabis and Gujaratis in this country. I think I prefer Gujaratis as they created Chevdo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, cool, that's interesting. I always find it hard to distinguish between South Asian languages though because there are bloomin' hundreds of them :biggrin:
I never knew that we were rivals with Gujratis (then again my parents always seemed suspicious of them/ thought they were tight with money if I think about it). I would have expected either the Pashtuns or generally the Pakistanis to be Punjab's rival.
No I haven't watched that; I tend to keep indian films away with a 10ft barge pole as they oft have mentally grinding story lines, combined with bad acting and corny dancing (IMO). :s-smilie:
LOL, I'm glad your criteria for selecting which people you like more is based around your food preferences :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
It's not really obvious but the more exposes you are to people from different backgrounds the more you pick up on similarities and differences. It's not being prejudiced or wrong just to *notice* someones features. These are obvious things, like whether you admit it or not, you will judge if you find someone attractive or good looking or not - it is because of their features that you make such judgements.

I think it's generally easy to distinguish Bengalis from Pakistanis, but not always with Indians with Pakistanis. I'd probably notice Gujaratis but with Punjabis it can be hard to tell if they're Indian or Pakistani. With the older generation it's much easier to notice because of the way they dress, for example and older Indian lady will probably be wearing short sleeved clothes and have their hair in a bun whereas an older Pakistani wouldnt have short sleaves and even if they have a bun you probably wouldnt notice it cuz their hair would be more covered.
However, obviously these are just generalisations and people from different areas and look very alike, after all they're from the same region.

I can tell the difference between Somalis an other Africans but I don't think I can tell any other Africans apart.

Going back to the original question, I've never known/ heard of Somalis beig prejudiced against South Asians, if anything, it's likely the other way round. But yes Arabs are known to look down at South Asians. It might have something to do with their skin colour - not sure about that. But there is also the fact that in places like Saudi and Dubai south Asians go to work. They make them work very hard e.g. doing building work, but they're paid very little and treated inferiorly- based on what I've read. I think there was a documentary on this on BBC or something a while back.

Again, these are generalisations and Ive come across Arabs and have an Arab friend and they've all been nice and friendly. Also, the Arabs who understand the teachings of Islam are less likely to be prejudiced towards others.
Original post by Fabz_x

What language is this;
''ami gumaytam farram na''

For some strange reason I guesses this was Bengali though I don't know any Bengali and have only heard it a few times. Weird!
Original post by Ornlu
I
أردت أن أقرأ كتابا عن تاريخ المرأة في فرنسا : Sample 1

بَرابَر پَیدا ہوئے ہَیں۔ اُنہیں ضَمیر اَور عَقل : Sample 2

می*آیند و حیثیت و حقوقشان با هم برابر است، همهٔ*شان : Sample 3

I knew the Arabic and Urdu, guessed Persian cuz you mentioned it before so it was most likely :P
Reply 51
Original post by Tpos
It's not really obvious but the more exposes you are to people from different backgrounds the more you pick up on similarities and differences. It's not being prejudiced or wrong just to *notice* someones features. These are obvious things, like whether you admit it or not, you will judge if you find someone attractive or good looking or not - it is because of their features that you make such judgements.

I think it's generally easy to distinguish Bengalis from Pakistanis, but not always with Indians with Pakistanis. I'd probably notice Gujaratis but with Punjabis it can be hard to tell if they're Indian or Pakistani. With the older generation it's much easier to notice because of the way they dress, for example and older Indian lady will probably be wearing short sleeved clothes and have their hair in a bun whereas an older Pakistani wouldnt have short sleaves and even if they have a bun you probably wouldnt notice it cuz their hair would be more covered.
However, obviously these are just generalisations and people from different areas and look very alike, after all they're from the same region.

I can tell the difference between Somalis an other Africans but I don't think I can tell any other Africans apart.

Going back to the original question, I've never known/ heard of Somalis beig prejudiced against South Asians, if anything, it's likely the other way round. But yes Arabs are known to look down at South Asians. It might have something to do with their skin colour - not sure about that. But there is also the fact that in places like Saudi and Dubai south Asians go to work. They make them work very hard e.g. doing building work, but they're paid very little and treated inferiorly- based on what I've read. I think there was a documentary on this on BBC or something a while back.

Again, these are generalisations and Ive come across Arabs and have an Arab friend and they've all been nice and friendly. Also, the Arabs who understand the teachings of Islam are less likely to be prejudiced towards others.

For some strange reason I guesses this was Bengali though I don't know any Bengali and have only heard it a few times. Weird!

I knew the Arabic and Urdu, guessed Persian cuz you mentioned it before so it was most likely :P

It is easy to distinguish most Indians from most Pakistanis. I think you are assuming most Indians are either Punjabi or Gujarati which seems to be true in this country, but not back home. I think you are forgetting about the existence of all the other ethnic groups in India. Largest being Marathis, Biharis and Bengalis like myself.
I frequently get stereotyped that I'm Gujarati when people find out I'm Muslim. Then when I say I'm Bengali they get confused, as if they haven't even heard the existence of the 100 million Bengalis in India. Then I am like :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by ZazDogg
It is easy to distinguish most Indians from most Pakistanis. I think you are assuming most Indians are either Punjabi or Gujarati which seems to be true in this country, but not back home. I think you are forgetting about the existence of all the other ethnic groups in India. Largest being Marathis, Biharis and Bengalis like myself.
I frequently get stereotyped that I'm Gujarati when people find out I'm Muslim. Then when I say I'm Bengali they get confused, as if they haven't even heard the existence of the 100 million Bengalis in India. Then I am like :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol at people being confused when you mention Bengalis :tongue:

Sorry, I wasn't making that assumption. I was going to add that I don't think I have met people from other parts of India, even wrote it out but then as I tool it out after adding another sentence then didn't put it back in. But, yh! I don't think I have met people from other parts of India, I do know they exist, I mean even if I didn't someone (you?) mentioned it in thread earlier :smile:
Yep, it's generally easy to distinguish most Pakistanis from most Indians, but I meant it can be harder to distinguish Punjabis more than Gujaratis, especially if you're not well aware of the different groups.
Reply 53
Original post by Tpos
lol at people being confused when you mention Bengalis :tongue:

Sorry, I wasn't making that assumption. I was going to add that I don't think I have met people from other parts of India, even wrote it out but then as I tool it out after adding another sentence then didn't put it back in. But, yh! I don't think I have met people from other parts of India, I do know they exist, I mean even if I didn't someone (you?) mentioned it in thread earlier :smile:
Yep, it's generally easy to distinguish most Pakistanis from most Indians, but I meant it can be harder to distinguish Punjabis more than Gujaratis, especially if you're not well aware of the different groups.

bengalis are generally very short, most are of a dark skin complexion and some look like they have a hint of mongoloid in them.
Original post by Ornlu
I would have expected either the Pashtuns or generally the Pakistanis to be Punjab's rival.)

How can Pakistanis be Punjab's 'rival' when more than half of Punjab is in Pakistan?
Reply 55
Original post by Phantom Lord
How can Pakistanis be Punjab's 'rival' when more than half of Punjab is in Pakistan?

I think he means rivalry between Punjabis is India and Punjabis is Pakistan , which shouldn't really happen as a lot of Punjabis in India are refugees from Pakistan and a lot of Punjabis in Pakistan are refugees from India. They moved after the partition.
Has anyone watched Veer Zaara? I haven't, but I need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by ZazDogg
I think he means rivalry between Punjabis is India and Punjabis is Pakistan , which shouldn't really happen as a lot of Punjabis in India are refugees from Pakistan and a lot of Punjabis in Pakistan are refugees from India. They moved after the partition.
Has anyone watched Veer Zaara? I haven't, but I need to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I meant Indian Punjabi and any Pakistani (so everyone - including Pakistani Punjabis); I personally despise this and any sort of rivalry thing though... I've seen bits and bobs of Veer Zaara due to the Parents - doesn't seem too bad, being fair (considering my general opinion of South Asian films).
Reply 57
Original post by kaboon-supreme
I think everyone has prejudice towards south asians

Why?
Reply 58
Original post by slade p
bengalis are generally very short, most are of a dark skin complexion and some look like they have a hint of mongoloid in them.

Yes we do tend to be very short, Biharis are too. There are a lot of Biharis in Kolkata and I find it hard to distinguish them, until I hear them speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swanbow
Somali's and Ethiopians look very similar, usually more sharp noses and distinctive facial features. But yeah I'm not that great at guessing where people are from by looking at them either, never make assumptions.

Ethiopians are genetically related to the Semitic peoples of the Middle East, while Somalis represent the native East African people before the Bantu Expansion in 2BCE. There was this survey done by geneticist and sociologist, which was about Racial differences in humans. Genetic markers were taken from an Norwegian, Nigerian Yoruba, and an Somali. They found out that the Somali person is closely related to the Norwegian person by an factor of 80%, than to the Yoruba person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending