The Student Room Group

Suicide 'Attempts' - Genuine Intention or Seeking Attention?

Every week I flick through the online news for a bit of social & current affairs news, and every single week I see a 'celebrity' in a suicide bid attempt:

'Maria Fowler in Suspected Suicide Attempt' clicky.

And last week I saw this:
'Mario Falcone Attempted Suicide' clicky.

And the week before last week I saw this:
'Paris Jackson's Suicide Attempt' clicky

And the week before that week I saw this:
'Stephen Fry Reveals Suicide Attempt' clicky

Now the amount of suicide attempts that I read about vs suicide deaths outweighs them dozens to one. I do suffer from quite severe unipolar depression so I can genuinely relate to suicidal thoughts and motives.

I believe that if it is committed in a thoughtful manner, i.e. not splatting yourself on the windscreen of an oncoming train to scar that driver for the rest of their life, that it's okay. If you are in so much distress in your life that you think suicide is truly the best option then I have no qualms with those that do it for the right reasons. Nobody opts in for life, and for some people, opting out of life is in their best interest.

But frankly, I do actually get quite offended and irritated by those who make suicide attempts, with no absolutely no intention whatsoever in actually seeing it through. I can't help that most 'failed attempts', particularly when there are multiple, 'failed attempts' that it is just a cry for attention. I think it's insulting to those who consider suicide to be a very realistic option.

What're your thoughts on attempted suicide bids? Genuine intention, or seeking attention?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woop, approved!
Reply 2
I think it's really kind of arrogant of you to judge other people for something so diverse and complex as mental health and suicidal behaviours. It's hard enough feeling suicidal, let alone then failing to manage to do what you set out to achieve. Some people do engage in self harming or "suicidal" behaviour for attention - because there is something seriously wrong, and they need that attention. Belittling it when you don't know the full facts is unfair and unkind to those individuals.
Reply 3
Until you've been in their shoes, you cannot judge them, they may struggling with issues and feel like they can talk to no-one and then we have judgemental pricks like you and you wonder why they've attempted suicide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Messalina
I think it's really kind of arrogant of you to judge other people for something so diverse and complex as mental health and suicidal behaviours. It's hard enough feeling suicidal, let alone then failing to manage to do what you set out to achieve. Some people do engage in self harming or "suicidal" behaviour for attention - because there is something seriously wrong, and they need that attention. Belittling it when you don't know the full facts is unfair and unkind to those individuals.

You've completely misunderstood the main question of the thread to be honest.

The question is, what is your opinion on individuals who repeatedly 'make a suicide attempt' with absolutely no intention on seeing it through?

I am not concerned at all about those who do make genuine attempts, that's not something that I'd really want to discuss.
When Cato the Younger committed suicide he cuts open his stomach but due to an injured arm could kill himself outright. His followers rushed in and tried to close his wound and let Cato's surgeon stitch him up. Realising what they were trying to do Cato reached through his wound, ripped his own guts out his stomach and died quickly after.

That certainly wasn't a cry for attention.
Reply 6
I guess that the people who intentionally survive their suicide attempts are very low psychically and need help, but no one notices it. That means that they come down to the only (at that moment) solution that will make them more noticed.

But also, there are many survivors of suicide attempts that happened to live because they weren't "aggressive" enough, if that's the right expression.

Anyhow, whether someone intended to die in their attempt or not, they should be treated in a good way in order to cure their psychological issues and shouldn't be mocked...

At the end of they day, a suicide attempt is still serious business.
Reply 7
well if they attempted to hurt themselves but had no intention of dying then it isn't attempted suicide but self-harm right? Therefore 'attempting suicide' is trying to kill oneself meaning they ARE trying to die. So isn't it just people who actually have the intention to follow through are those are attempting suicide. Those who are successful actually commit suicide. I'm not talking about reasons behind this etc. because that wasn't the question but that made sense right?
Reply 8
Trust me. No one repeatedly attempts suicide for attention. It's not something you'd risk for attention unless you genuinely wanted to die. The people in these situations aren't generally looking for attention or sympathy, they're looking to an end for their horrific pain.
How the **** do you find it 'insulting'? And I doubt hardly any of those think 'right, let's get some attention and publicity here' - it is probably mixture of genuinely wanting to die, wanting help and other complex emotions.

The reason why so many attempt suicide is because it is both emotionally and physically challenging to achieve the act. There would be countless more suicides if we could merely press a button and die instantly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by 08batee
Trust me. No one repeatedly attempts suicide for attention. It's not something you'd risk for attention unless you genuinely wanted to die. The people in these situations aren't generally looking for attention or sympathy, they're looking to an end for their horrific pain.

Original post by Olenna Tyrell
How the **** do you find it 'insulting'? And I doubt hardly any of those think 'right, let's get some attention and publicity here' - it is probably mixture of genuinely wanting to die, wanting help and other complex emotions.

The reason why so many attempt suicide is because it is both emotionally and physically challenging to achieve the act. There would be countless more suicides if we could merely press a button and die instantly.

Because I know of several people who have purposely made false suicide attempts in a bid for attention, and have later admitted to doing so, with absolutely no intention of harming themselves.

I find it insulting that people are willing to do that and treat it as something so trivial, when I've had other friends that have actually committed suicide. To treat it as a means of attention is clearly an insult to those who felt that they had no choice.

I'm just curious to see whether anybody else on TSR has experienced the two polar opposites like I have.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Rybee
Because I know of several people who have purposely made false suicide attempts in a bid for attention, and have later admitted to doing so, with absolutely no intention of harming themselves.

I find it insulting that people are willing to do that and treat it as something so trivial, when I've had other friends that have actually committed suicide. To treat it as a means of attention is clearly an insult to those who felt that they had no choice.

I'm just curious to see whether anybody else on TSR has experienced the two polar opposites like I have.

Well my best friend committed suicide after (as far as I know) his first attempt. I've attempted suicide a couple of times, but most certainly NOT for attention... no one in real life even knows that I've done so. The attempts just happened to fail. I really don't believe that someone would genuinely do that for attention. They may SAY they have, but that's another thing entirely.
Reply 12
Original post by Vicodin
well if they attempted to hurt themselves but had no intention of dying then it isn't attempted suicide but self-harm right? Therefore 'attempting suicide' is trying to kill oneself meaning they ARE trying to die. So isn't it just people who actually have the intention to follow through are those are attempting suicide. Those who are successful actually commit suicide. I'm not talking about reasons behind this etc. because that wasn't the question but that made sense right?

I've had to read this like 3 times over to figure out what you mean :tongue:

I don't mean as in self harm... I'll use an example. I girl that I know took 40x500mg ACAP tablets with the full intention of not seeing it through. i.e. immediately after ingesting them, she went into her mums bedroom and told her what she'd just done, and then purposely vomited them all back up so as to avoid a genuine attempt. i.e. they've made it out as an 'attempted suicide' but knew full well from the start that they had no intention of seeing it through and were purposely doing it for attention.

This particular girl is renowned for doing time after time, purely to seek attention from her friends and family.

I'm just questioning what people on TSR think to someone doing that? I don't think I made myself clear from the start?
Reply 13
Original post by Messalina

For once I actually agree with you.
Reply 14
Original post by 08batee
Well my best friend committed suicide after (as far as I know) his first attempt. I've attempted suicide a couple of times, but most certainly NOT for attention... no one in real life even knows that I've done so. The attempts just happened to fail. I really don't believe that someone would genuinely do that for attention. They may SAY they have, but that's another thing entirely.

Oookay, we were just on different wavelengths for a little bit with crossed wires :smile:

I was just saying above ^^ that I know 1 girl in particular who openly admits to doing it and she does it repetitively, and it infuriates me.
Original post by 08batee

That's true for people that actually want to commit suicide, but the illnesses of attention seeking are just as real as depression and suicidal tendencies. Some people will go that far to pretend to commit suicide or make a half arsed attempt just to get some attention and sympathy. You shouldn't dismiss the levels people with attention seeking personality disorders are willing to go. The disorders are just as real as depressive and suicidal disorders.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Rybee
Oookay, we were just on different wavelengths for a little bit with crossed wires :smile:

I was just saying above ^^ that I know 1 girl in particular who openly admits to doing it and she does it repetitively, and it infuriates me.

Ah okay, sorry. I'm not fully with it so probably not reading things properly :colondollar: Yeah that is slightly strange. I would guess that she probably lies about doing it rather than actually doing it though.
Reply 17
Original post by Zero Nowhere
That's true for people that actually want to commit suicide, but the illnesses of attention seeking are just as real as depression and suicidal tendencies. Some people will go that far to pretend to commit suicide or make a half arsed attempt just to get some attention and sympathy. You shouldn't dismiss the levels people with attention seeking personality disorders are willing to go. The disorders are just as real as depressive and suicidal disorders.

Finally someone who understand where I'm coming from! I don't know whether it's true, but she claims to be diagnosed as a schizophrenic which kind of does stack up when you consider her personality.

Original post by 08batee
Ah okay, sorry. I'm not fully with it so probably not reading things properly :colondollar: Yeah that is slightly strange. I would guess that she probably lies about doing it rather than actually doing it though.

lol no worries! I haven't made myself clear from the start of the thread, I should've just said it outright like that.
Reply 18
Speaking from my personal experience.

A good friend of mine committed suicide, he said nothing to anyone and never attempted it before. He just did it and left a note. As far as I'm concerned 99% of attempted suicides are not born from a true wish to die, there just a way to find out if people would care.

Whether this is attention seeking or a cry for help I can't say, maybe a bit of both. If a person truly wanted to kill themselves they could without the ''this time I mean it'', I know that for sure.
Reply 19
Original post by JaLeRo
Speaking from my personal experience.

A good friend of mine committed suicide, he said nothing to anyone and never attempted it before. He just did it and left a note. As far as I'm concerned 99% of attempted suicides are not born from a true wish to die, there just a way to find out if people would care.

Whether this is attention seeking or a cry for help I can't say, maybe a bit of both. If a person truly wanted to kill themselves they could without the ''this time I mean it'', I know that for sure.

I find that question interesting too, and feel awful because probably more often than not it's not going to end in their favour. I'm sorry to hear of your friend, that's truly horrible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending