The Student Room Group

Immigration - Was Enoch Powell Right?

Poll

Was Enoch Powell Right

Before I start, I should make clear that I do consider myself a nationalist. Oxford Dictionary defines nationalism as "patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts". Patriotic is defined as "having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one’s country". I also go on record to state that I am NOT racist, nor do I support racism...this is why I ignored parts of his speech refering to the 'black man' and the 'white man'. That is racist and goes against my ideals. I do, however, believe that immigration has to be stopped and potentially turn into emmigration.

To me, an immigrant was one who was born outside of this country. Nothing complicated, just simply being born outside of the country. Whether you are black, white, asian, christian, atheist, muslim or jewish, it doesn't matter.

I am not stating that everything about Enoch Powell's speech that I actually reference is right, I am actually asking you whether, to any degree if he was right. This being a controversial moment of history, it is bound to have mixed views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_Blood_speech - This is Enoch Powell's infamous speech, the one I am referring to.

Enoch Powell stated: "We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the annual inflow of some 50,000 dependants, who are for the most part the material of the future growth of the immigrant descended population. It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre."

This caught my attention, namely the bolded part. If you look around Britain, you will notice that it has a massive amount of immigrants. Now you don't need GCSE Science to know that if there is a correlation between the number of immigrants living in a borough and the amount of crime in those areas.

"This does not mean that the immigrant and his descendants should be elevated into a privileged or special class or that the citizen should be denied his right to discriminate in the management of his own affairs between one fellow-citizen and another or that he should be subjected to an inquisition as to his reasons and motives for behaving in one lawful manner rather than another."

This is happening now, its called benefits. Anyone can claim benefits, whether they are immigrants or not, but it feels more catered to immigrants. UK has slowly lost its power to the point that it is TOO politically correct for its own good. Saying anything bad against the minority would be deemed racist or against their religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo - This is the first example of how immigration has failed us. They protest our laws, our policing yet they chose to move from their country to here. Therefore, they are grateful they were even let into the country. If they aren't immigrants...then I've lost faith in UK at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRmKTD96po - Do you see this stupidity? And they wonder why Americans hate them...Americans are utterly right to believe that. While the clip does say these extremists are a minority of their religion, how long will it be before THAT becomes the standard? 5 Years? 10? 20? It is insane and should be stopped.

Now, the fact that both clips are related to Islam is coincidental. They fit the topic and the second link was a related video of the first so why not use it.

When asked what the UK's 'indiginous group' would face, Powell states: "For reasons which they could not comprehend, and in pursuance of a decision by default, on which they were never consulted, they found themselves made strangers in their own country."

That happens. Immigrants feels like they can come into the country and ignore the laws and culture of our country and replace it with their own. They protest our laws and ideals yet why on earth would an immigrant come to a country only to dispise it. If they don't like the country, if they don't want to go by its laws and culture then why are they still here?

However, multicultralism has failed the UK and has weakened it economically, socially and politically. Therefore, immigration has weakened the country.

Tl;dr - Immigration should be stopped completely (Yeah, I went there...no immigration), immigrants should respect our laws and ideals or else they should leave whether they want to or not (its like watching a Youtube video PURELY to dislike it and leave hateful comments).

All in all, do you believe that Enoch Powell was right about immigration during this speech? Do you believe he was completely wrong? Hopefully we can actually have a logical, unbias debate.

Scroll to see replies

I've always been baffled as to how some Brits are naive as to think people come here because it's some sort of cultural paradise, the majority of immigrants just come for economic reasons. This is why they stay despite hating the country.

Anyway, I don't really see a problem. Are you saying only the British are allowed to complain/protest against the countries culture/laws? It's not like we are all in harmony about what needs to be done to make Britain better. We live in a free society, immigrants generally do abide by the laws but they don't have to support them. They have every right to attempt to change them.

I think you're being way too hyperbolic and are just using immigrants as a punching bag for all the problems in our society akin to the way people do this with Labour. Immigrants really aren't that influential. It's idiotic to be against all immigration. Do you realize that it's not easy to immigrate to the UK? You should try reading our actual immigration laws. The reason why ethnic minorities like Pakistanis/Indians/Caribbeans immigrated to this country in the first place was because Britain was suffering from the effects of world war 2 and needed extra labor. The only immigrants that can come here easily are from EU countries. There's asylum seekers but that's something every developed western countries does and US, France, Germany and Sweden all take more asylum seekers than UK.
Reply 2
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Anyway, I don't really see a problem. Are you saying only the British are allowed to complain/protest against the countries culture/laws? It's not like we are all in harmony about what needs to be done to make Britain better. We live in a free society, immigrants generally do abide by the laws but they don't have to support them. They have every right to attempt to change them.

The difference between when British complain and immigrants complain is that immigrants came to the UK of their free will. They didn't have to come to a country which they were opposed to in terms of laws/culture, but they did it anyway. Those born here however, were born here, so that is different since they didn't choose to be born here but the immigrants chose to move here. Its like going to a Youtube video purely to troll and dislike the video...why bother watching that video if you hate it?

Hypothetically, if I emmigrated out to say, France or Spain, then I would be expected to speak the language and not to disrespect their people and laws. Any country has those expectations. In my personal opinion, its because the UK has the free NHS and benefits whereas the US doesn't have free healthcare and doesn't give out benefits to just anyone.

I understand the benefits of immigration (more workers, and the things they did bring us) but at the same time, Blair screwed up when he opened the door, making immigration go up ten-fold. The only thing I actually blame immigration for is the increased rate of crime. You can't even go to some areas without fearing your life and I doubt it was like that before immigration.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tsukuyomi Mach
The difference between when British complain and immigrants complain is that immigrants came to the UK of their free will. They didn't have to come to a country which they were opposed to in terms of laws/culture, but they did it anyway. Those born here however, were born here, so that is different since they didn't choose to be born here but the immigrants chose to move here. Its like going to a Youtube video purely to troll and dislike the video...why bother watching that video if you hate it?

Hypothetically, if I emmigrated out to say, France or Spain, then I would be expected to speak the language and not to disrespect their people and laws. Any country has those expectations. In my personal opinion, its because the UK has the free NHS and benefits whereas the US doesn't have free healthcare and doesn't give out benefits to just anyone.

I understand the benefits of immigration (more workers, and the things they did bring us) but at the same time, Blair screwed up when he opened the door, making immigration go up ten-fold. The only thing I actually blame immigration for is the increased rate of crime. You can't even go to some areas without fearing your life and I doubt it was like that before immigration.

Why can't they complain and still move there? They came to Britain for economic reasons, Britain isn't Nazi Germany, they have every right to complain and change the country. There's a big difference between emigrating from a developed country to another developed country as opposed to a third-world country to a developed country.

The US has the biggest immigration population so that's clearly not the reason. They are constantly complaining about Central/South American immigration.

Before you edited your post, you mentioned Brixton as one of those areas so you're probably referring to blacks. Do you realize the majority of those blacks aren't first-generation immigrants? As I said, there was mass-immigration in the 50s/60s but that's because Britain needed it. There's not much mass-immigration taking place today. Plus, look at Glasgow, whose to blame there?
I'm not so afraid of the people who come here but the ideas they bring.
Original post by The Angry Stoic
I'm not so afraid of the people who come here but the ideas they bring.

Well people here already have very dangerous ideologies, e.g. BNP and Nation Front (back in the day).

This is not only applicable to "immigrants".
Original post by hannah60000
Well people here already have very dangerous ideologies, e.g. BNP and Nation Front (back in the day).

This is not only applicable to "immigrants".

Of course but it would be unwise to bring more.
Reply 7

You can also argue that the internet brings as many, if not more of these unappealing ideals to our country than immigrants themselves, though censoring the internet would be frowned upon by most advocates of freedom of expression.
Original post by Shaun1991
You can also argue that the internet brings as many, if not more of these unappealing ideals to our country than immigrants themselves, though censoring the internet would be frowned upon by most advocates of freedom of expression.

Indeed. There are positives and negatives.
Reply 9
There has to be a balance, we can't let everyone in but we should allow some refugees, some professionals and some people who just want to emigrate to come here: after all many Brits do the last two! However, we need to accept that our country is relatively small and already densely populated, which already requires a lot of effort into redeveloping and reorganising communities and infrastructure. I think an annual cap of around 25-50k is fair enough, and when coupled with government sponsored aid programs/by developing the third world, more people will stay in their home country anyway: they needn't flee from persecution nor try to improve their quality of life through coming to Britain- which ironically is down to exploitation by us 'westerners' and is ultimately why there exists such a gulf in worldwide living standards. Indeed, poverty in our own country is also due to exploitation, low social mobility and unequal distribution of various items; people who live with this everyday should not scapegoat immigrants as it just closes the mind to any thought or rebellion, thus perpetuating the cycle of easy manipulation/subjugation. Some people, especially real life UKIPers, would do well to remember that!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Before you edited your post, you mentioned Brixton as one of those areas so you're probably referring to blacks. Do you realize the majority of those blacks aren't first-generation immigrants? As I said, there was mass-immigration in the 50s/60s but that's because Britain needed it. There's not much mass-immigration taking place today. Plus, look at Glasgow, whose to blame there?

Are you joking? Net migration was 215 000 in 2011.
Original post by PhysicsKid
There has to be a balance, we can't let everyone in but we should allow some refugees, some professionals and some people who just want to emigrate to come here: after all many Brits do the last two! However, we need to accept that our country is relatively small and already densely populated, which already requires a lot of effort into redeveloping and reorganising communities and infrastructure. I think an annual cap of around 25-50k is fair enough, and when coupled with government sponsored aid programs/by developing the third world, more people will stay in their home country anyway: they needn't flee from persecution nor try to improve their quality of life through coming to Britain- which ironically is down to exploitation by us 'westerners' and is ultimately why there exists such a gulf in worldwide living standards. Indeed, poverty in our own country is also due to exploitation, low social mobility and unequal distribution of various items; people who live with this everyday should not scapegoat immigrants as it just closes the mind to any thought or rebellion, thus perpetuating the cycle of easy manipulation/subjugation. Some people, especially real life UKIPers, would do well to remember that!

I'd have to disagree with living standards in poor countries being due to exploitation by westerners. What do you think living standards in Africa would be like if we Europeans had never interacted with it? No science, no medicine, no engineering, few clothes, terrible housing, no contraceptives, no famine or drought relief. If Africa had been cut off, Africans would still be living in conditions similar to those of their ancestors thousands of years ago. Living standards, life expectancies, literacy and education have all rocketed up because of western involvement. Has our involvement and interactions with Africa and Africans always benefited them? No, certainly not, and we should do more to help them improve, but the access Africa has gained and continues to gain to western advances and discoveries have benefited them greatly, and hopefully in not too many decades they will begin to make similar great achievements of their own.

Don't blame us for Africa or other similar areas with low standards of living. Without westerners and our achievements they would still be dying at 40 or under, having far too many children and losing many of them too soon.
Reply 12
As an American, I understand how you can be opposed to immigration because of your lack of space and funds. What I don't understand is why it matters what ethnicity or religion said immigrants come from. Immigration adds a ton of good to society and makes up the fiber of a nations identity. I love my country but as my partner is Welsh I ended up in the UK. I am no criminal or poor person, either. Do I not deserve to migrate?
It's not about stopping non-British races in, it's about letting in people who integrate and I'm thankful most of the bull**** going on in city centres is mostly sealed off.

Most of legitimate xenophobia tends to be a gross simplification. If you knew people from other countries then it helps you understand that perhaps it's not always about 100% integrating, becoming British, though granted I don't expect any country I move to to adopt British culture.

I agree with this. But, one is not more dangerous than the other they should all be equally condemned and rejected. That is all I am saying imported or home grown ideologies of those kind, we as a society in Britain, (especially England) should speak out against.
Of course, the only people who aren't affected are the immigrants themselves. They're Multiculturalism. It's in their own interests to support it. It's only empowering their demographic and doing what they want most - Ethnically ridding the UK's culturally, racial & religious make-up. They despise this nation, and their own efforts to push for demographic change is not in your interests. They're not thinking of the UK.
Original post by Tsukuyomi Mach
Before I start, I should make clear that I do consider myself a nationalist. Oxford Dictionary defines nationalism as "patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts". Patriotic is defined as "having or expressing devotion to and vigorous support for one’s country". I also go on record to state that I am NOT racist, nor do I support racism...this is why I ignored parts of his speech refering to the 'black man' and the 'white man'. That is racist and goes against my ideals. I do, however, believe that immigration has to be stopped and potentially turn into emmigration.
So people like Mo Farah, double gold medals, inspiration to thousands of Brits, charitable worker, CBE, born in Somalia. Do you think he could be described as any of those things?

To me, an immigrant was one who was born outside of this country. Nothing complicated, just simply being born outside of the country. Whether you are black, white, asian, christian, atheist, muslim or jewish, it doesn't matter.
So what about second generation or third generation? What category do they fall into? Are they allowed to claim benefits or complain? At what point are you allowed the rights of a white Brit?

Enoch Powell stated: "We must be mad, literally mad, as a nation to be permitting the annual inflow of some 50,000 dependants, who are for the most part the material of the future growth of the immigrant descended population. It is like watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre."
You talk about an unbaised debate, but the bias is given away from the start. 50,000 dependants. As Annoying Mouse has already said, when the speech was written the vast majority of immigrants coming in were coming into help fill a labour gap, or a perceived labour gap. They weren't coming to be dependant, they came to have a better life and the UK allowed it to help fill a gap in the workforce. How are these people dependants, or leeches which is another way of putting it more than the average person?

This caught my attention, namely the bolded part. If you look around Britain, you will notice that it has a massive amount of immigrants. Now you don't need GCSE Science to know that if there is a correlation between the number of immigrants living in a borough and the amount of crime in those areas.
As has been done to death here, you cannot just look as social factors ie, how many immigrants live here than do a race correlation, unless you have an even distribution of races. Poor areas are more likely to involve crime. Glasgow was a classic example, not filled with immigrants still had rampant crime. Poor people tend to commit crime, and areas with massive number of immigrants tend to be poor. How many of the immigrant doctors we employ commit crime? But then again how many of them live in all white areas? A better question would be, why do we have areas with massive numbers of immigrants? Why do these areas tend to be poor? Why is criminality so common in these areas?

This is happening now, its called benefits. Anyone can claim benefits, whether they are immigrants or not, but it feels more catered to immigrants. UK has slowly lost its power to the point that it is TOO politically correct for its own good. Saying anything bad against the minority would be deemed racist or against their religion.
If you are going to claim they are cater to immigrants, state why. Social protection is covered by the Department of work an pensions, ~£165bn. Of that £159bn is benefits. The biggest cost in there is £74bn for state pensions. Then £16bn for housing benefit, £13bn DLA, £6bn income support, £5bn on JSA. Which of these is catered to immigrants? All the benefits are catered to poor people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo - This is the first example of how immigration has failed us. They protest our laws, our policing yet they chose to move from their country to here. Therefore, they are grateful they were even let into the country. If they aren't immigrants...then I've lost faith in UK at this point.
Once you are a citizen you have as much right to complain as anyone else. If people feel there is injustice they have a right to peaceful protest, stupid or not. Plenty of those people as I said, will have been second or third generation immigrants, so will have been born in the UK. We have lots of other protests about our laws and policing, G8?, why don't these people just be grateful they are allowed to live here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRmKTD96po - Do you see this stupidity? And they wonder why Americans hate them...Americans are utterly right to believe that. While the clip does say these extremists are a minority of their religion, how long will it be before THAT becomes the standard? 5 Years? 10? 20? It is insane and should be stopped.
I can't see that video. But I'm guessing its another Islam video, Islam is just the flavour of the week. Before them it was Eastern Europeans, Blacks, and Indians. You can't just get rid of people with extreme views adjam chowdhry is a classic example. The more you isolate and alienate a group because of a few the more you help their cause. If you attack rather than support tolerant non extreme groups you drive them into the arms of extremists.

When asked what the UK's 'indiginous group' would face, Powell states: "For reasons which they could not comprehend, and in pursuance of a decision by default, on which they were never consulted, they found themselves made strangers in their own country."
I think the idea people were never consulted is ridiculous, people have successively voted for government that were going to allow immigration for years. I also find the strangers in your own country prophecy quite self fulfilling. We have a system where people are not properly integrated and end up all clumped in places like Luton or Tower Hamlets, there is a culture of white flight, Britain by nature is quite xenophobic. Unless people are integrated they are not going to settle into British culture and they will be strangers. I think its still a massive overstatement, the statistics tell you there are far far more white Brits than any other group, and I think it would be difficult to say there are no non white Brits, Lewis Hamiltons, Lenny Henry Jess Ennis, Krishnan Guru-Murthy all well know Brits who I feel most people could sit down and relate to as a Brit.

Immigrants feels like they can come into the country and ignore the laws and culture of our country and replace it with their own.
So the people I just mentioned above fit that? Don't be silly, you cannot just use the term immigrants as a blanked term to describe the thoughts and feelings of millions of people. Krishnan Guru-Murthy ignores the laws and culture? Many second and third generation immigrants who grew up around Brits, don't have another culture, British law and culture is the only one they know.

They protest our laws and ideals yet why on earth would an immigrant come to a country only to dispise it.
The idea you feel the government or someone has done something wrong doesn't mean you despise the UK, it just means you object. It might be in fact you love the UK and feel this is a perversion of the laws and values it represents. Is a Muslim protesting LGBT rights despising the UK anymore than Alan Carr doing so?

If they don't like the country, if they don't want to go by its laws and culture then why are they still here?
You could apply that to a Brit. If you don't like the UK go somewhere else. I would hope anyone who lives here would want to the UK to move forward and make progress, being racist, or punishing gay people was once part of UK law and culture. I don't think people objecting to those things were dragging the UK to the dark ages. There is a difference between an objection to an single point or incident and hating the UK and everything it represents.

However, multicultralism has failed the UK and has weakened it economically, socially and politically. Therefore, immigration has weakened the country.
Multiculturalism is another blanked term. The café culture of costa and starbucks is not UK culture, its an import. Chinese food, Bollywood, R&B are not native to the UK all imports that we have added to our culture. The problem is not immigration, the US has far greater immigration than here, but could not be described as less patriotic to the stars and stripes. The problem is when people don't subscribe to a core culture that binds the nation together. I would say things like the Olympics were a very patriotic event, because the UK was united around a common allegiance for a short period. In the US they all subscribe to the American dream, anyone can be an American. In all polls immigrants tend to see themselves as British more than others, but people such as yourself clearly don't see them that way. I think its a question of what makes someone British? We all have cultural deviations, but at what point does British culture end?

Tl;dr - Immigration should be stopped completely (Yeah, I went there...no immigration), immigrants should respect our laws and ideals or else they should leave whether they want to or not (its like watching a Youtube video PURELY to dislike it and leave hateful comments).
This would be a complete economic disaster. You would stop the world class Brain surgeon from the US in the same manner as the Eastern European gangster. Not to mention the problems with the EU freedom for workers.

All in all, do you believe that Enoch Powell was right about immigration during this speech? Do you believe he was completely wrong? Hopefully we can actually have a logical, unbias debate.
I think he was partially right, but his speech and views held by those who supported him contributed to him being right. The annexing of immigrants, due to the fear created in such speeches has helped created a broken Britain where suspicion and distrust ensure the divide between Brits and immigrants is maintained, which ultimately holds the country back. I do feel immigration is being allowed in too greater numbers not because of the number of immigrants but more the UK's ability to separate the wheat from the chaff and ensure we integrate new arrivals so they are a positive social and economic addition to the UK cannot be maintained with current levels.
Reply 17
Original post by Am I Really Here
I'd have to disagree with living standards in poor countries being due to exploitation by westerners. What do you think living standards in Africa would be like if we Europeans had never interacted with it? No science, no medicine, no engineering...

Most of what you mention there are because of what we (or the Romans) picked up from the middle east. With hindsight, the technological improvements in our country were the only good thing to come from our earlier raiding of other nations during wars like the Crusades.

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of what you say, just pointing out that 'western' doesn't quite cover the basis of our technological society.
Original post by Darien
Most of what you mention there are because of what we (or the Romans) picked up from the middle east. With hindsight, the technological improvements in our country were the only good thing to come from our earlier raiding of other nations during wars like the Crusades.

I'm not disagreeing with the rest of what you say, just pointing out that 'western' doesn't quite cover the basis of our technological society.

The industrial revolution and modern science have nothing to do with the Middle East. In fact,Muslim society has in reality provided very
.little to the west. Greece, yes, Islamic culture no.
I have no problem with immigrants if they're willing to work hard and pay taxes. Especially if they're qualified and willing to do jobs that we need filling.

But, we've already got a shortage of jobs and we're still recieving immigrants, so they can't all be working. Although I can't remember the last time I saw reliable figures for the number/percentage of immigrants who work and the amount of benefits the rest claim. But some must be claiming benefits aswell as using the NHS and other services, which they haven't contributed to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending