The Student Room Group

Will any university in the UK ever be comparable to Oxbridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
It does now but that is a new foundation. Dundee got the law school, the medical school and the Elvis LP collection in the divorce.

The Bute had been around for some time....

Also they don't do clinicals at St Andrews, youusually go onto elsewhere in Scotland, Manchester and now Barts I believe.
Reply 201
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
The Bute had been around for some time....

Also they don't do clinicals at St Andrews, youusually go onto elsewhere in Scotland, Manchester and now Barts I believe.

St Andrews doesn't award the MB ChB only the BSc. As a result, it'll never have a high ranking in the medicine league tables because it has no hospital (and no St Andrews Community Hospital doesn't count lol its basicaly a minor injury clinic with 3 GPs) and can't do a huge portion of the medical research that requires patients. Not only that, its in the middle of nowhere so it will always be difficult to attract researchers.

St Andrews though excels in teaching the first 3 years and thats what it will always be good for in medicine. Most clinical schools that accept St Andrews students say that St Andrews students are prepared well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ukmed108
St Andrews doesn't award the MB ChB only the BSc. As a result, it'll never have a high ranking in the medicine league tables because it has no hospital (and no St Andrews Community Hospital doesn't count lol its basicaly a minor injury clinic with 3 GPs) and can't do a huge portion of the medical research that requires patients. Not only that, its in the middle of nowhere so it will always be difficult to attract researchers.

St Andrews though excels in teaching the first 3 years and thats what it will always be good for in medicine. Most clinical schools that accept St Andrews students say that St Andrews students are prepared well.

I know they don't award the MB ChB that's why I said in my previous post that students go elsewhere for clinicals. But Bute has always been well respected for centuries for it's pre clinical training.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 203
Original post by SuperMushroom
What would you say about computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The usual suspects: Oxford, Imperial then,

Warwick, UCL then

Manchester
Loughborough
Bristol

Of course, I may have missed a few names here.
I wonder what people's reactions would be if one day, london metropolitan is comparable to oxbridge.
Im guessing it would the change the face of top unis in the uk.
Original post by Infinity_4652
I wonder what people's reactions would be if one day, london metropolitan is comparable to oxbridge.
Im guessing it would the change the face of top unis in the uk.

It'd never happen. Our culture is too stuck up to let the good ex-Poly's be considered on par with the better regular unis, let along having you cherry pick one of the worst unis in the country with bloody Oxbridge.

The obsession with uni tables means that the good unis will hang onto a good spot regardless of the actual quality (unless they massively **** up to wreck their status overnight) simply because they're perceived to be good (hello popularity, hello inflated grade requirements because there's enough people with A*AA willing to apply due to the university's reputation, hello league methodology that accounts for the grades of people getting in) while the bad unis hang onto being bad.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Incredimazing
In terms of reputation/prestige, etc., will any universities ever be on par with the famous Oxbridge? There seems to be such a gap between them with other top uni's such as UCL, LSE and Imperial - buy why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, York will be, it has the same college system as Oxford.
Original post by nulli tertius
It does now but that is a new foundation. Dundee got the law school, the medical school and the Elvis LP collection in the divorce.

Not really. The Bute Medical School (pre-clinical) has always been based in St Andrews and wasn't refounded upon the split with Dundee, in fact it was Dundee that had to found a new medical school as it just had a teaching hospital. However St Andrews does not have any clinical facilites so has to partner with another medical school for clinical training, initially this was Manchester, but since the changes to fee arrangement St Andrews medical students go to other Scottish unis for clinical training.
Not only that, its in the middle of nowhere so it will always be difficult to attract researchers.

No offence but St Andrews has many world class researchers on staff and performs very well in the RAE across all its subject areas. That statement simply isn't true. They manage to recruit one of UCL's leading profs recently so they can't be that crap in the area of medical research.

On a more general note, I'm surprised about the number of people on here who seem to speak with absolute authority about St Andrews, but clearly have never been near the place or actually know much about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 209
Apparently the sentiment behind this thread is quite topical at the moment: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article3848542.ece

Also, I spent 3 minutes drawing up a rough graph based on the Complete University Guide from 2008 to 2014, showing the difference between Oxbridge and other unis. The green line is the university in first place, either Oxford or Cambridge. The purple line is the highest-ranked non-Oxbridge university, and the orange line is the university in 10th place (could have used an average of the top 10 unis every year - bar oxbridge - but that would have taken too long).

http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/createagraph/default.aspx?ID=8a920cf7fd7b4b8990d77cd1d95f322e

The trajectory is actually quite interesting.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 210
Original post by ChemistBoy
No offence but St Andrews has many world class researchers on staff and performs very well in the RAE across all its subject areas. That statement simply isn't true. They manage to recruit one of UCL's leading profs recently so they can't be that crap in the area of medical research.

On a more general note, I'm surprised about the number of people on here who seem to speak with absolute authority about St Andrews, but clearly have never been near the place or actually know much about it.

Ouch, last line hurt. I'm currently a medic at St Andrews and while i do appreciate the teaching and especially the fairness and explanation of the grading I just don't see the world class research. I've seen the same exact research news about candles and soot on the University's research page for a year now and their news updates contain mostly marine biology research (which i know St Andrews is very strong in). We aren't given the breadth of options for our final dissertation as some other unis are given (if you aren't into psychology, molecular biology or public health you are mostly out of luck). Who is this UCL prof again?
(edited 10 years ago)
Ouch, last line hurt. I'm currently a medic at St Andrews and while i do appreciate the teaching and especially the fairness and explanation of the grading I just don't see the world class research. I've seen the same exact research news about candles and soot on the University's research page for a year now and their news updates contain mostly marine biology research (which i know St Andrews is very strong in). We aren't given the breadth of options for our final dissertation as some other unis are given (if you aren't into psychology, molecular biology or public health you are mostly out of luck). Who is this UCL prof again?

Stephen Gillespie.

Well you're given much more opportunity to do research than in most medical programs ( without intercalation). You aren't going to get any of the clinical areas at St Andrews, but you knew that before you applied so you can't complain now.
Reply 212
Top tier: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, UPenn, Chicago, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, Cornell, Johns Hopkins (for Medicine)...

Not just for medicine. In my experience, the students at Johns Hopkins are more intelligent, knowledgeable, analytic and intellectually well-rounded than those at Oxford. They're also much harder working. I say that as an Oxonian.

There's nothing to choose between the respective faculties. The facilities (labs, IT etc) are hands down better at JHU. The libraries are comparable.

Oxford has a better reputation but that's because JHU hides its light under a bushel.
Original post by DrZander
Not just for medicine. In my experience, the students at Johns Hopkins are more intelligent, knowledgeable, analytic and intellectually well-rounded than those at Oxford. They're also much harder working. I say that as an Oxonian.

There's nothing to choose between the respective faculties. The facilities (labs, IT etc) are hands down better at JHU. The libraries are comparable.

Oxford has a better reputation but that's because JHU hides its light under a bushel.

Oh no I'm wary of the fact JHU is very strong across most if not all of its departments. It's just that the Medical School is perhaps what it is most famous for internationally or perhaps its jewel in the crown as it were.
Reply 214
Oh no I'm wary of the fact JHU is very strong across most if not all of its departments. It's just that the Medical School is perhaps what it is most famous for internationally or perhaps its jewel in the crown as it were.

I agree, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine is very likely the best medical school in the world competing only with Harvard Medical School.
Reply 215
Original post by Incredimazing
In terms of reputation/prestige, etc., will any universities ever be on par with the famous Oxbridge? There seems to be such a gap between them with other top uni's such as UCL, LSE and Imperial - buy why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's how it goes. If you have to look and seek for information to "prove" that other universities are comparable to Oxford and Cambridge then in the general public eyes they are not comparable not only in terms of prestige but academic strength as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't Warwick ranked higher than Oxford for Maths?
Reply 217
Original post by felamaslen
Isn't Warwick ranked higher than Oxford for Maths?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops, you're right, I just checked.
Reply 219
Original post by stefl14
The first paragraph is absolute rubbish. LSE and Warwick are both ahead of Cambridge by a long way for research but that does not mean it has better teachers. At undergraduate level you don't need nobel prize winners to teach you. So yes, the achievements of academics is pretty irrelevant for undergraduates. In fact, arguably my best supervisor for first year at Cambridge is a Ph.D student and I ended up getting one of the best grades in the year for his subject. One of the poorer supervisors was the most distinguished academics and she has now moved to UCL, which has better research than Cambridge but now they've got another bad teacher! At a top institution all tutors have enough knowledge to teach you the stuff - it's how good they are at teaching that matters. LSE and Warwick (and other places too) have been better than Cambridge in economics research for a long long time, but the fact remains that the better students go to Cambridge. You can deny it all you want but the quality of LSE and Warwick students is lowered by the fact that most (not all) of their best offer holders go to Cambridge. You also mention that the best researchers teach undergraduates which is just a load of rubbish in many cases. Rarely if ever will you get a nobel laureate teaching undergraduates and it doesn't matter if they do because it doesn't mean they will be able to explain the required concepts better than less celebrated academics.

The reason I say Cambridge is harder is simple: they have a higher quality intake (often quite substantially) yet get more grades below 2.1 and similar or less firsts (less than LSE for example) despite having a workload that is significantly higher and more support via supervisions etc.

Also you are right that Warwick > Oxford for maths in terms of research. But I'd still rather go to Oxford as you'll get much better teaching and supervisions, thus learning more. The fact is that the calibre of students at Oxbridge is and remains to be higher than for other institutions in most subjects. The workload is higher, the papers are often harder and the entry standards are higher. You can argue until you're blue in the face about the calibre of students but the entry standards for undergraduates are pretty telling (and regardless of what you say A level results (particularly UMS) correlate well with degree classification).

If you want to argue that the calibre of economics students at LSE, for example, compares to those at Cambridge you're having a laugh. At my school there were 8 people who applied to both LSE and Cambridge for economics - all of them got LSE offers and made them whereas I was the only one to get an offer from Cambridge. If you've got 10A*s and 4A*s predicted and a good PS (which could be plagiarised) and reference, you'll get an LSE offer. The same is definitely not true for Cambridge.

Well the truth is that almost no one rejects Cambridge. I think like 97% of the people given offers to Cambridge or Oxford take them up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending