The Student Room Group

Simultaneous equations

p+q+r=2
p^2+q^2+r^2=6
p^3+q^3+r^3=8
(p+q+r)(p^2+q^2+r^2-pq-pr-rq)=p^3+q^3+r^3-3pqr

can anyone give me a clue about the best way to solve these simultaneous to give results for p, q and r. I'm lost so ideas as i cant seem to eliminate a second variable regardless of what i try...
Original post by Goods
p+q+r=2
p^2+q^2+r^2=6
p^3+q^3+r^3=8

can anyone give me a clue about the best way to solve these simultaneous to give results for p, q and r. I'm lost so ideas as i cant seem to eliminate a second variable regardless of what i try...

It's worth pointing out that the 4th equation is actually an identity [but is still useful for this problem - otherwise I presume it wouldn't be there!].

As a hint, observe that the cubic polynomial x3(p+q+r)x2+(pq+pr+rq)xpqrx^3 -(p+q+r)x^2 + (pq+pr+rq)x -pqr has roots p,q,rp,q,r (if this isn't immediately obvious, expand (xp)(xq)(xr)(x-p)(x-q)(x-r)). Hence, if you can find these coefficients using what the system of simultaneous equations tells you, you will have a cubic equation that will yield precisely the values of p,qp,q and rr that solve the system -- Use the first two equations to determine pq+pr+rqpq+pr+rq; and then use this and the 'fourth' equation to determine pqrpqr.

You'd then want to ask yourself whether you have every solution - can you see a way to confirm that the implication goes both ways here?
Original post by Goods
p+q+r=2
p^2+q^2+r^2=6
p^3+q^3+r^3=8

Note that p,q,r are the solutions of the cubic equation
x3(p+q+r)x2+(pq+qr+rp)xpqr=0x^3-(p+q+r)x^2+(pq+qr+rp)x-pqr=0
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I was able to do it with the idea that they were the roots of a cubic. Thanks a lot i wouldn't have spotted it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by brianeverit
Note that p,q,r are the solutions of the cubic equation
x3+(p+q+r)x2(pq+qr+rp)x+pqr=0x^3+(p+q+r)x^2-(pq+qr+rp)x+pqr=0

I don't think this is quite right, you want to check the +/-'s.
Original post by Eloades11
I don't think this is quite right, you want to check the +/-'s.

You're quite right. I have now edited it.

Quick Reply

Latest