The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Men, are you fed up of all the disrespect, blaming and hatred of men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drake10

It wouldn't particularly surprise me if you are being serious. There's a conference planned in Detroit to discuss men's rights, and lots of feminists have threatened the hotel with violence and death threats.

I also throw eggs at little boys on their way to school.
and LOL @ the idea of men's rights.
Original post by The Socktor
Hmm, funny. In the poll we have the option "No! I am a sackless wimp / white knight."

Below that we have a hysterically whiny thread... seems legit.

Just restored my faith in men.
Original post by EllieC130
Just restored my faith in men.

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by The_Dragonborn
We base masculinity on what we saw our forefathers do. It is where men in past cultures got their sense of direction from. To be strong, to be dominant, to be masculine, to "be a man" as it were, was encouraged and nurtured.

Post-modern feminism has taken away all that. The thing is, is that males do need direction and masculinity needs cultivating. No man is simply born strong - strength is encouraged and developed. In a society that discourages all of that, what kind of men do you expect to come out of today's society?

Exactly. No man is "born strong" because it's down to socially constructed gender stereotyping garbage.

Feminism the best thing that could have happened. A feeling that these roles must be adhered to - that men should be strong, that they should be "dominant" - causes, far, far more harm than any possible good.

We should be embracing it and encouraging men to find their own identity and who they really are outside of all the masculinity claptrap.

Women are already beginning to break free of it, but men resistant to change view it as an attack on their "authority" and a threat against the positions of power men have held for centuries, and try to twist into a dreadful thing. Sad, really.
Wow. Why is it so difficult for some men to understand that all women want is equality? They are not out to get you, and feminism is not seeking to strip men of their balls or their identities. The fact is, women have been considered weak, useless and even sub-human for centuries. Unfortunately, in their quest for equality, some women have gone overboard and seem to be searching for a way to 'pay men back' or set up a matriarchal society as opposed to one based on equal opportunity and status. Personally, I'm sorry that you think that the male gender has been demonised, but in the act of protesting against it, you in turn demonise females and turn them into feral beings who want nothing more than world domination. I can assure you that this is not what they want.
Original post by Meyrin
Exactly. No man is "born strong" because it's down to socially constructed gender stereotyping garbage.

Feminism the best thing that could have happened. A feeling that these roles must be adhered to - that men should be strong, that they should be "dominant" - causes, far, far more harm than any possible good.

We should be embracing it and encouraging men to find their own identity and who they really are outside of all the masculinity claptrap.

Women are already beginning to break free of it, but men resistant to change view it as an attack on their "authority" and a threat against the positions of power men have held for centuries, and try to twist into a dreadful thing. Sad, really.

But when you are still surrounded by the role models of old? When you hear women complaining "where is manliness" (I've seen this myself)? Yet you can't act on it. It puts men in a no man's land without direction.

How has the expectation of men to be strong caused harm to society? Strong men are what have kept humanity since, well, the birth of humanity. And women played an equal role in that too.

An attack on masculinity isn't an attack on women being in power. It's on the expectations of men. And men do desire direction in society. It's what's driven us to "be men" for generations past. Where are we expected to find identity from?
this site is a load of ****e
Reply 27
Contrary to this thread and a gazillion others like it I don't feel particularly disrespected or hated by anyone. I find it funny that I see a ton of guys on the internet whining about crazy man hating feminists out to get them and yet hardly any of the irrational feminists that they claim to hate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
I have a "zero tolerance" attitude myself of disrespect coming from a woman. Alas, some females I have known think the way to assert themselves is to disrespect men and metaphorically piss on them. The whole "I'm a bitch and proud of it" thing.

Wake-up call: Confusing assertiveness with aggression is not the road to success; and when done with myself, generally does not end well. Show respect if you want to be respected back. It's not rocket science.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
What a ****ing stupid poll, what so if I don't agree with your misogynistic, nonsensical whining, I must be a wimp or white-knight :lolwut:
Original post by drake10
Exactly. Due to certain biological realities (sperm is cheap, eggs are expensive) I think men have a duty to work hard to provide and protect women and children.

But in return, men should be respected, appreciated and given status - not disrespected, blamed and hated.

The feminist chickens are coming home to roost. As in any matriarchal society, men are shunning responsibility and commitment. Why bother taking risks and working hard when young, fertile women want to ride the cock carousel and focus on their careers, rather than settle down and have a family?

We are going to have a generation of women hitting 30 and complaining "Where have all the good men gone?" :rolleyes:

I agree for most of this but-call me a feminazi if you want- I believe if women want to prioritise their careers ahead of a family they should be able to do so, permitted that as you mention they dont moan about having no decent men later. I just dont think its fair that women have to sacrifice their career for kids. For example studies have shown there is equal pay in most jobs until women have children at which point the pay gap increases. In a day and age where there are several single mothers, women need to be able to prioritse their futures and financial stability, as they cannit rely on the permanance of another breadwinner. So do men, although I think they need to be responsible for themselves- not necessarily 'their' women as females can (obviously) stand up for themselves!

Men need rights and to be 'respected' and 'appreciated', but I can see no reason for them to be demanded a higher status than women? I am pretty open minded and if someone could produce a reasoned argument as to why they need status I would be willing to listen but until then I can only stick to my own beliefs :colondollar:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by SeaweedBrain
Wow. Why is it so difficult for some men to understand that all women want is equality?

Equality when it suits women. :rolleyes: Why is it so difficult for some women to understand that men might not be happy with feminist hypocrisy?

They are not out to get you, and feminism is not seeking to strip men of their balls or their identities.

Actually, yes they are.

The fact is, women have been considered weak, useless and even sub-human for centuries.

No. Women have been given a privileged status as the essential sex, because fertile women are far more reproductively valuable than men. Men died to provide for and to protect women and children. If any society considered women useless it would quickly die out. Women are ESSENTIAL - for making babies.

(OK, women were and still are considered weaker than men. But that's biological fact.)
Reply 32
Original post by Jack XY
I find it funny that I see a ton guys on the internet whining about crazy man hating feminists out to get them and yet hardly any of the irrational feminists that they claim to hate.

They really do exist. I hope you get your experience with such a school of piranhas some day, tearing you a new proverbial anus with their pure hatred and venom; then you'll be able to understand where the "ton guys" are coming from...
Reply 33
Original post by Mequa
They really do exist. I hope you get your experience with such a school of piranhas some day, tearing you a new proverbial anus with their pure hatred and venom; then you'll be able to understand where the "ton guys" are coming from...

I'm not denying their existence just their numbers and impact in general. Irrational people are not to be taken seriously.

And I really hope I don't!
Reply 34
Wow. Why is it so difficult for some men to understand that all women want is equality?

I'm all for gender equality. The problem is that that entails equal rights AND equal responsibilities, and feminists don't exactly seem gung-ho about the last part.

They also only selectively want the first part when it suits them - and special privileges when it suits them.

When someone sees through the charade they are supposedly a "misogynist pig", or whatever epithet is thought appropriate to socially shame them into shutting up.

Source: First-hand experience.
The posts on TSR just go from one extreme to the other.
Original post by iheartplums
No, the world's greatest problems are caused by men.

if women were as physically strong as men, they'd do the exact same things. women are weaker than men and therefore more cowardly in the face of danger. therefore, they don't risk things that men are blamed for. it's not rocket science - we have abilities women don't, therefore we're more likely to engage with danger than women are. but due to men being the strong members of the human race, you women stereotype us as a bunch of brutish mindless oafs (with wallets). if we happen to typically generalise you guys as weak, emotional and with breasts, you know the reason why; still, even today, after all this, you guys cry, whinge and scream when apparently you're meant to be as mentally capable as we are - how can we not stereotype you guys when you still continue to follow the traits you've always upheld? before you say men are only a bunch of fighters and brutes, consider the fact that still we have a considerable lead in terms of our innovations, even after all this time; I can't even think of women inventors or physicists etc even though women have total equality when it comes to education - if you're wanting equality in this culture, go out there and earn it, as opposed to bleat and whine about it. but again, to remind you: I'm not a misgynist; I think women should have absolute legal equality as individual members and citizens of the society, but if you're talking about culture equality, sorry, you still need to earn it. legal rights aren't earned like cultural equal "respect" in society. if men talk down to you, it's because of what every other women in your society continues to represent with regards to their gender - e.g. weakness, apathy, a plutocratic dating selection, etc
(edited 9 years ago)
People on both sides of the debate need to grow up a little. But mainly, what people need to realise is that the debate about rape, similar to that about domestic violence and that of sexual discrimination, is not a battle between men and women. Its a battle between the majority of men and women who abhor these things, against the minority of men and the (admittedly smaller) minority of women who think these things are OK.
Didn' know there were any men here.
Original post by Mequa
I'm all for gender equality. The problem is that that entails equal rights AND equal responsibilities, and feminists don't exactly seem gung-ho about the last part.

They also only selectively want the first part when it suits them - and special privileges when it suits them.

When someone sees through the charade they are supposedly a "misogynist pig", or whatever epithet is thought appropriate to socially shame them into shutting up.

Source: First-hand experience.

What responsibilities do you suggest women don't want? As a feminist (I can only speak for myself) I just want equality between genders- equal pay/representation in government/respect and status. I also think the divorce laws for example need to be changed and men should be able to take longer paternity leave. I want socially constructed gender roles to evolve so that it becomes normal for either mam or woman to be the breadwinner-or both of them- and either/both to raise the family etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending