The Student Room Group

britain's rape crisis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slade p
these stats are just the official stats, it doesnt even include those which are not reported.

True. But two things come to mind. When talking stats and what they say about rape and danger to women in society we can only deal in data that we've got reports of. It also is just a reporting rate not a conviction rate. Now I don't want to get into a debate on false accusations or anything like that, but what I'm saying is there is a HUGE margin for error here in these statistics. And to use the statistics in the way YOU have is just ludicrous.
Original post by slade p
no your just making that up out of thin air, you obviously don't have any substance to back that up so carry on talking b.s if it makes you feel better.

For one, the murder of young girls because they dare to go against their parents culture is euphemistically called 'honour killing'.

Are you saying this barbaric practice has not been imported into the UK?
Reply 22
Original post by imtelling
For one, the murder of young girls because they dare to go against their parents culture is euphemistically called 'honour killing'.

Are you saying this barbaric practice has not been imported into the UK?

the total amount of honour killing in uk is very small. so small that every time it happen's it's big news because it's rare unlike rape which is very common.
Original post by slade p
it is a lot in comparison most to other countries which means britain has more of a problem with it then others, and yes all the other crimes which you mention just shows what kind of society britain has become.

there is a breakdown is civilized behaviour.

Recorded crime is not always representative of actual crime. The African nations are all generally regarded to have much higher rape frequency when compared to the UK, but these countries do no have efficient systems for police reports, criminal offence records and prosecution procedure. A British woman is far more likely to go to the police when raped and the rapist is much more likely to be tried and punished. She is also far more likely to realise she has been raped or believe she has been raped.

Rape incidents is Sweden (according to crime statistics comparisons) far outweigh rape incidents in Indonesia and Brazil, for example - does that sound at all right or representative to you?

EDIT: There are also very different standards for what constitutes rape between different nations. Nations with very broad standards will appear 'worse' than countries with very narrow standards.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
they need to bring back hanging, but then again the police cant even catch the criminals these days so whats the point. Im sure most of them are doing their job but theres some idiots that just don't care.
Reply 25
Original post by Hit Girl
they need to bring back hanging, but then again the police cant even catch the criminals these days so whats the point. Im sure most of them are doing their job but theres some idiots that just don't care.

yes hanging could be a deterrent but that will never happen. what needs to change is the mindset of men and the culture of rape.
Reply 26
There were over 400,000 counts of robbery last year with an expected increase of 7% this year. Rape is definitely bad but surely this requires our full attention and not some minor issue.
Original post by limetang
No, they don't. 85000 is 0.26 % of women. It's too many yes, but let's but that into perspective. There are 207000 incidents of robbery each year over 2 million cases of non-sexual violence ... I could go on. Point is you can't just throw these numbers out there without context and then claim that this is evidence of rape culture. It isn't. It's evidence that rape happens, but that it's really (when compared to the rates of other types of violent crime) not particularly overly purportrated by comparison.

That is a great word. You've made it up, but I like it...
Original post by slade p
yes hanging could be a deterrent but that will never happen. what needs to change is the mindset of men and the culture of rape.

I beg your pardon. I think I speak for the majority of men in asking you not to lump us with the vile minority who commit these crimes. It is not the mindset of men that needs to change it is the mindset of those men who commit rape that needs to change.
Reply 29
Original post by slade p

There is no rape culture in the UK, it is almost unheard off and should not be our main priority.
Original post by TurboCretin
That is a great word. You've made it up, but I like it...

Shh, nobody was meant to notice.
I agree context is important. Yes it's startling if you do all the maths but most women and in general do just fine. Normally and especially since you added the age group, women are date/statutory raped or fondled. Date raped means, there was acquaintance and familiarity with the offender and intimacy already involved in that situation. Then there's statutory rape. My minor is criminal justice and I want to do Prosecution and I know that many of these cases if not most are: a 19 yr old can get arrested and registered as an offender for being with a 17 yr old. Digest that hilarity. The extreme cases that are connotative with the word "rape" actually are the lesser assaults. And fondling is rare like how mnay times do you see a bloke riding by on his bike and pinching a women's arse? That woman was at the wrong place, at the wrong time. It doesn't happen in normal situations. The issue is far more serious in developing countries where the constitutional rights are unsophisticated if non existent and the religious practices are not ours so the behavioural standards also aren't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Dandaman1
Recorded crime is not always representative of actual crime. The African nations are all generally regarded to have much higher rape frequency when compared to the UK, but these countries do no have efficient systems for police reports, criminal offence records and prosecution procedure. A British woman is far more likely to go to the police when raped and the rapist is much more likely to be tried and punished. She is also far more likely to realise she has been raped or believe she has been raped.

Rape incidents is Sweden (according to crime statistics comparisons) far outweigh rape incidents in Indonesia and Brazil, for example - does that sound at all right or representative to you?

i' not saying in other countries it's not very high, i'm talking about the high amounts and rate of rape in uk in it's own right. many people in uk don't want to talk about it though because they ignorantly and arrogantly like to think it's only in in other countries with different cultures and so on that high amounts of rape happen.

this is to expose them on there ignorance and to show what the shocking situation is in this country is, which refuted their ignorant views and comments.
Also, Britain is a country which encourages women to report rape and abuse, and the police will take action to protect them from further harm from the offenders. In a lot of other countries, many women don't report rape in fear of the further harm an offender may do. There are too many rapes, yes, but I doubt that these stats is because of Britain having more rapists than another country. It's just much, much safer to report.
Reply 34
Original post by Armin.
Men need anti-rape education in school during lunchtime.

I'm beginning to see a bit of a trend with your posts...
Original post by slade p
i' not saying in other countries it's not very high, i'm talking about the high amounts and rate of rape in uk in it's own right. many people in uk don't want to talk about it though because they ignorantly and arrogantly like to think it's only in in other countries with different cultures and so on that high amounts of rape happen.

this is to expose them on there ignorance and to show what the shocking situation is in this country is, which refuted their ignorant views and comments.

Again, compared to other serious crimes in the UK, rape is relatively infrequent. You are much more likely to be burgled, mugged, physically assaulted or a victim of traffic crime. That's not to say rape rates are not too high - any rape is too much rape - but it doesn't stand out when compared to other criminal activities.

Rape is talked about quite a lot (at least in my home country) and it is taken very seriously by most people. I'd even argue that people are oftentimes over-aware of rape due to this widespread publicity, which leads to hysteria and exaggerated perceptions (seen particularly in feminist campaigns and propaganda).
Reply 36
Original post by Dandaman1
Again, compared to other serious crimes in the UK, rape is relatively infrequent. You are much more likely to be burgled, mugged, physically assaulted or a victim of traffic crime. That's not to say rape rates are not too high - any rape is too much rape - but it doesn't stand out when compared to other criminal activities.

Rape is talked about quite a lot (at least in my home country) and it is taken very seriously by most people. I'd even argue that people are oftentimes over-aware of rape due to this widespread publicity, which leads to hysteria and exaggerated perceptions (seen particularly in feminist campaigns and propaganda).

you diverting the issue by talking about other crimes which is fine but this is about rape, if you want to highlight other crimes then make a thread about it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slade p
you diverting the issue by talking about other crimes which is fine but this is about rape, if you want to highlight other crimes then a thread about it.

Not at all. YOU made the claim that Britain has a rape crisis. We're contextualising that statement together with the evidence YOU provided us to show that it simply isn't the case. You can't discuss the idea of rape being at incredibly high levels for the crime it is without looking at violent crime as a whole.
Reply 38
Original post by limetang
Not at all. YOU made the claim that Britain has a rape crisis. We're contextualising that statement together with the evidence YOU provided us to show that it simply isn't the case. You can't discuss the idea of rape being at incredibly high levels for the crime it is without looking at violent crime as a whole.

doesn't matter what it is related too, the point is high amounts of it is happening. talking about what it is related too is only important in what you can then do to lessen rape.
Original post by slade p
doesn't matter what it is related too, the point is high amounts of it is happening. talking about what it is related too is only important in what you can then do to lessen rape.

It DOES matter, because we need to understand what we mean by HIGH. You can't talk about the rate being high without having some general awareness of what the rates of crime in general are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending