The Student Room Group

OCR GATEWAY CHEMISTRY B 16th June C4 C5 C6

Scroll to see replies

yeah i got albania

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Omg for the last question I put United States and then Niger because I swear you had to do the water available divided by the population because it said it was in comparison to the population not the water used? So like say 20g of water is used and theres 50g of water available but theres a population of 500 million of people? The water availability is still not very high because of the population, not the water used?
Reply 62
Also for the water and carbon dioxide comparing chart, I put water had a high melting point which I think was wrong, and I put electrons for carbon dioxide... is that right? I mean electrons are particles and are in carbon dioxide...
Reply 63
And for the removing hardness of water, I said that the sodium carbonate reacts with the water to form sodium hydrocarbonate, which is a white precipitate and is then removed as part of the hardness of water... is that right? :confused:

And my friend said apparently sample A was permanent, B was both permanent and temporary and C was temporary. I put A is permanent and B and C are temporary... I dont think you can have both permanent and temporary hardness can you??
you can have both temp and permanent hardness in water because otherwise after boiling the water it would have only needed 2cm cubed of soap (like distilled water which was at the top)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by randoms1324
you can have both temp and permamnt hardness in water

Posted from TSR Mobile

How??
And so was sample B temporary or both?
sample A had permanent because it didnt change the amount of soap it needed, sample B didnt need as much soap after it was boiled but still had permanent hardness because boiling it only got rid of the temp hardness sample C had only temp hardness so therefore only needed 2cm cubed of soap after being boiled like distilled water (which was at the top of the table) hope i helped :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what did you put for the question at the start of the paper of the table where you had to fill in the type of atom it was like it gave one which was ion - i cant remember the exact question :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by randoms1324
did anyone get something like 0.059 for the concentration of nitric acid? im surprised it was only worth 2/3 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats wrong unfortunately, they asked for 3 significant figrues and your answer is only 2, I got 0.0595
Reply 69
Original post by geekygeek
And for the removing hardness of water, I said that the sodium carbonate reacts with the water to form sodium hydrocarbonate, which is a white precipitate and is then removed as part of the hardness of water... is that right? :confused:

And my friend said apparently sample A was permanent, B was both permanent and temporary and C was temporary. I put A is permanent and B and C are temporary... I dont think you can have both permanent and temporary hardness can you??

The carbonate ions from the washing soda react with the calcium ions in the hard water to make an insoluble precipitate of Calcium Carbonate.
Reply 70
Original post by GDZK
Yeah.. C6H1206---> H2H5OH+CO2, that's what i got however, was the question to also balance it?

Yeah you had to balance it, but shouldn't it be C2H5OH and not H2H5OH?
Omg for the last question I put United States and then Niger because I swear you had to do the water available divided by the population because it said it was in comparison to the population not the water used? So like say 20g of water is used and theres 50g of water available but theres a population of 500 million of people? The water availability is still not very high because of the population, not the water used?

Oh I just put Albania because it had the smallest water available and it had quite a big population. And not a lot of water was used. Which shows that many don't get enough, I think? (I have no idea btw)
Reply 72
this was a question where you needed to estimate the value.
it was simple because there wasn't really a method to get the answer so u needed ur answer to just make sense eg for the first box u just needed the value to be higher then the previous 2 and lower then the one after. in the mark scheme there will be a range of answers that u can put down.
Reply 73
so what did you guys put for the type of particles in carbon dioxide? For the question where it said water had ions? I put electrons... is that kinda right? I mean electrons are particles and are in carbon dioxide?:confused:
Reply 74
so what did you guys put for the type of particles in carbon dioxide? For the question where it said water had ions? I put electrons... is that kinda right? I mean electrons are particles and are in carbon dioxide?:confused:

erm i think i put molecules because carbon dioxide is a simple molecular substance, which I'm pretty sure is the wrong answer haha oh well, it was only one mark i think?
Reply 75
Original post by Darcy1
Thats wrong unfortunately, they asked for 3 significant figrues and your answer is only 2, I got 0.0595

yayy thats what i got
in the question about components of CO2 it said NaCl or something contained ions, so would the answer be atoms for CO2?
Reply 77
Original post by heench
erm i think i put molecules because carbon dioxide is a simple molecular substance, which I'm pretty sure is the wrong answer haha oh well, it was only one mark i think?

But water is also a simple molecule but in the question it says ions? :s-smilie: ahhhh i dont know anymore
Reply 78
Original post by Darcy1
Yeah you had to balance it, but shouldn't it be C2H5OH and not H2H5OH?

My bad :biggrin:
Reply 79
water had a low boiling point

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending