The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Benefit payments should be in the form of meals, not money

I was thinking about whether the government should close to abolish benefits so that the lazy people would finally get a job, by reducing it to the level so people on benefits experience poverty on the level of third world countries; but starving them would be rather inhumane.

not like luxury food, but basic, cheap, good food like an apple/banana/orange and a sandwich for a meal, and you would have to queue at least half an hour to get it plus meet the criteria

i was think this would discourage people to live off benefits without being inhumane to them so you wouldnt suffer from benefits but if you had no money to do anything you would be really bored. And the people that dont actually need the benefits wont go to get it because of the half an hour queue.

Scroll to see replies

Just giving food instead of money implies that people on benefits only need food, when in fact they need anything from petrol to clothes.

Also it's a huge over-generalisation to say that all people on benefits are lazy. SOME are, but most are people who need support to get themselves on their feet, or extra help to make it through the month, or can't work because of disabilities or a lack of jobs in that area.
Reply 2
Only if you were willing to live like that for the rest of your life.
Reply 3
Vouchers exchangeable for basic living necessitates.
Reply 4
Original post by HuggleyDuck
Just giving food instead of money implies that people on benefits only need food, when in fact they need anything from petrol

Why do they need petrol?
Reply 5
Not all people on benefits are lazy, there are so many disabled people on benefits and they aren't only going to need food.

you need to stop watching benefits britain tbh
because basic meals pay bills and keep a roof over our heads.

there is also the matter of dietary requirements and how not everybody's diet is the same.

this also shames people who are in poverty as if it is everybody's fault. what happens to the families where the people who could work have disabilities which disallow them from working? their children cannot attend school because there is no money for resources like uniforms etc. then they leave with no qualifications and how will they find a job so that they can try to make it better for themselves. in fact, what about the children whose parents are drug addicts and so are is a similar position to the former example? they shouldn't worry because they have an apple that they wasted time that they could have used to learn something new to line up instead?

it's a really bad idea imo.
Original post by Reue
Why do they need petrol?

If you live in a village or rural area or place with little work you're gonna need petrol to fuel your car to travel to where the jobs are in order to get yourself off benefits.
that word "lazy" to me in political discussion is just....that dammit itch you can't dammit scratch.

NOT on benefits, NOT from a council estate but I have friends and fam who are and you just never know what the situation is. I personally think it's not laziness as much as it is bad life choices like teen pregnancy, not going sixth form when it was a choice, bad habits like drugs, resorting to crime, inheriting substandard living conditions that conflict with developing self worth, lack of proper guidance that contribute to making bad choices...

all them sob stories.

Laziness is the wrong sob story. :colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you live in a village or rural area or place with little work you're gonna need petrol to fuel your car to travel to where the jobs are in order to get yourself off benefits.

If youre unemployed then your finances might be better served by selling the car and paying for a bus/train/taxi on the occasions that you need to attend an interview.
2m unemployed
700k vacancies

Do the math.

Giving benefits as food or food stamps is a 100000% overkill moronic idea. The whole reason we use money is because it's flexible. So are the needs of the poorest, and a lack of flexibility could literally mean death for them - it's certainly not going to help them find a job or get out of poverty. Why also do they have less rights and autonomy than you or me?

Get your head out of the tabloids and propaganda documentaries and wait until you've lived unsupported on benefits and/or low wages before you go preaching and prescribing. You do realise you're not better than these people, don't you?

Also food stamps are a bung to corporations. No longer can you trade coin of the realm for cheap local produce, oh no, you have to go to Tesco like a good little drone. As for saving by buying in bulk, forget it. What if your cooker breaks? Tough, you can't divert money to pay for it and you can't buy microwave meals because some idiot bureaucrat/idiot voter who has watched too much Fat Camp and Benefits Street thinks you shouldn't be allowed to buy processed food.

Not even sure why we need to do anytjing with benefits. We can fford them, it's just government spin that we cannot. The only benefits that even come out of the Treasury, rather than the self-funding NI pot, are housing benefit (because of the crazy housing market making rents so expensive), pensions (ageing population) and tax credits (corporate subsidy for low wages).
Original post by Reue
Vouchers exchangeable for basic living necessitates.

yeah that sounds maybe a bit better
food was perhaps a bit too narrow
Reply 12
Original post by Man.bear.pig
I personally think it's not laziness as much as it is bad life choices like teen pregnancy, not going sixth form when it was a choice, bad habits like drugs, resorting to crime, inheriting substandard living conditions that conflict with developing self worth, lack of proper guidance that contribute to making bad choices...

Well put.
Original post by Reue
Why do they need petrol?

They may live some distance away from shops/school/their workplace, too far to walk, so would need to transport themselves to those places and in many areas the cost of public transport is so high it's actually better value for money to drive a car/motorbike. Where I live, a return bus ticket to the high street is £3, but driving there and back would use about 50p of petrol.
My Tory radar is going through the roof
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
My Tory radar is going through the roof

IT'S OVER 9000!!!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434135658.318200.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by HuggleyDuck
They may live some distance away from shops/school/their workplace, too far to walk, so would need to transport themselves to those places and in many areas the cost of public transport is so high it's actually better value for money to drive a car/motorbike. Where I live, a return bus ticket to the high street is £3, but driving there and back would use about 50p of petrol.

This is very true. Perhaps a limit on the amount of petrol though?
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
I was thinking about whether the government should close to abolish benefits so that the lazy people would finally get a job, by reducing it to the level so people on benefits experience poverty on the level of third world countries; but starving them would be rather inhumane.

not like luxury food, but basic, cheap, good food like an apple/banana/orange and a sandwich for a meal, and you would have to queue at least half an hour to get it plus meet the criteria

i was think this would discourage people to live off benefits without being inhumane to them so you wouldnt suffer from benefits but if you had no money to do anything you would be really bored. And the people that dont actually need the benefits wont go to get it because of the half an hour queue.

Most people on benefits are not on benefits because they are "lazy". It is not their fault if they try but fail to find work - we are still coming out of a recession.

People on benefits can budget to save some of the money where possible, giving them a bit of money which they can use to treat themselves, fall back on if they get into financial difficulty, or both. That's a good reason why benefits should remain as money, rather than meals or vouchers.
Original post by Reue
If youre unemployed then your finances might be better served by selling the car and paying for a bus/train/taxi on the occasions that you need to attend an interview.

Again can depend where you live. In the village I live in there's no nearby bus or train, and I doubt a taxi would come out here either. I'd need to use a car in order to actually get anywhere. Plus taxis can be pretty expensive, probably cheaper to buy petrol if you're going for quite a few interviews or heading to jobcentre often.
Original post by Reue

Many jobs require you to have your own transport, it's just ridiculous really to say as soon as you're on benefits you should sell you car. Most people aren't on benefits for that long, and then once they've got a job again (from the limited pool of ones they can apply for without a car) they've got no car, are paying and arm and a leg for public transport and likely have to pay more for a new car than they managed to get for their old car.

Sorry Reue. I agree with a lot of the things you say, but this one is silly

Latest

Trending

Trending