The Student Room Group

Is it acceptable for our Prime Minister to describe the Calais migrants as a "swarm"

Scroll to see replies

While I disagree with Cameron on a lot of things, he said a "swarm of people" how is that dehumanising? It is a non-issue trying to distract us from the fact that all of our leaders are actually Lizard People.
Completely reasonable.

Why are we still watching this happen? Their fences are crap, anyone can cut a whole or go under - get some proper rail fences in, like we have for our rail network.
There has been a thread about this already. He could have used a more appropiate word other than swarm. Yes swarm means a large group but it is mostly used to describe aninals like the OP said is dehumanising because it suggests that he may be calling them animals which they are not. Maybe he didn't say it intentionally but it is a bad word to choose on the topic of the migration crisis in Calais.
Totally acceptable
I don't see the issue. People like to get outraged over these things in order to deflect attention from the real issues. It's a reason progress is often slow to nonexistent.
Whingers gonna whinge.
Reply 25
It's easy to dimiss their situation, when you're comfortably typing away with a roof over your head. Just for a moment leave your ignorance and consider the fact that mothers have to look their children in the eye knowing that they don't have the power to look after them. The reason their poor anyways is because of the colonial powers that robbed them of their natural wealth in the first place.
Original post by The two eds
Well if you voted for Tories, Labour, Liberals, SNP, greens, Plaid or anyone other than UKIP, this is what you voted for. And if you vote to stay in the EU this is what you are voting to keep. No one other than a UKIP voter has the right to complain over such issues because they are voting for and not against the problem.

I DID vote for UKIP you turnip :rolleyes:
Original post by Bashir16
Just for a moment leave your ignorance and consider the fact that mothers have to look their children in the eye knowing that they don't have the power to look after them

Just for the moment leave you ignorance and consider that almost all of them are young males, from safe countries, and many are fleeing the results of their own crime. They are obviously criminals, and committing violent crimes even as we watch.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I DID vote for UKIP you turnip :rolleyes:

My post was more a general one to everyone. It was just highlighting your point, that many Tories are blaming Cameron yet they knew exactly what they were getting with him, which was this.
Original post by halfiehalfie
Nazi vibe? :facepalm2:

Godwins law?
It depends on how applicable the term is. In this case, yes swarm is an accurate way to describe it, so yes it is acceptable
No one wants them here obviously because they are coming here illegally and who knows they could bring diseases here and help it spread and yes, cause chaos. However, they are still humans and calling them a swarm makes them sound like animals which is dehumanising and generalising those people. Not all of them intend to hurt us, all they want is a better life that they (truly) can't afford, so calling them a swarm is inappropiate and the word was wrongly used (as it is a controversial topic we are discussing). That's why people are getting a bit annoyed.

I am defending their human rights but not their right to come here illegally because it's simply dangerous. I could make a list of bad outcomes of this but it would take me the whole day, it's also unfair to those who worked hard to come and stay in the country legally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrMackyTv
calling them a swarm makes them sound like animals which is dehumanising and generalising those people.

Two points: (a) as far as the British public is concerned, they are generalised; nobody is interested in individuals (indeed, the problems stem from the sheer numbers), and (b) "swarm" is entirely appropriate; there are many of them, they act in a swarm, and depend on movement to succeed.
Reply 33
Who the **** cares about his choice of words? Jesus christ, people need to grow the hell up, these labour members kicking up such a fuss are more concerned about making the PM look incompetent linguistically than combating the problem, it's pathetic...
Original post by Good bloke
Two points: (a) as far as the British public is concerned, they are generalised; nobody is interested in individuals (indeed, the problems stem from the sheer numbers), and (b) "swarm" is entirely appropriate; there are many of them, they act in a swarm, and depend on movement to succeed.

a) I am a part of the British public and I do not generalise them and I am sure other people of the British public agree.
b) Swarm is a word (mainly) describing animals moving in a large group and most of the time in a passive form which is what your viewing the migrants as which is considered dehumanising because they're not animals. Even though it also means moving in a large group he could have used a more appropiate word that doesn't have many ways to be interpreted unlike 'swarm' which could suggest many things. I don't know who writes his speech's but they have to be careful and choose words more carefully. He could have simply said migrants, large group of people et cetera... do you see my point now? It is a very sensitive topic and using words like 'swarm' on a topic of migration, is inappropiate.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
a) I am a part of the British public and I do not generalise them and I am sure other people of the British public agree.
b) Swarm is a word (mainly) describing animals moving in a large group and nost of the time in a passive form which is what your viewing the migrants as which is considered dehumanising because their not animals. Even though it also means moving in a large group he could have used a more appropiate word that doesn't have many ways to be interpreted unlike 'swarm' which can and could suggest many things. I don't know who writes his speeches but they have to be careful and choose words more carefully. He could have simply said migrants, large group of people et cetera... do you see my point now?

He said "swarm of people", just like you might say "the other politicians were swarming over to the president" or "there was a large swarm of police officers trying to contain the crowds". Have some common sense mate.
a)b) Swarm is a word (mainly) describing animals moving in a large group

I think you need to check your dictionary; those migrants are swarming all over the tunnel entrance.
Original post by SeaPony
He said "swarm of people", just like you might say "the other politicians were swarming over to the president" or "there was a large swarm of police officers trying to contain the crowds". Have some common sense mate.

For your second example it would make more sense if you used crowding not swarming. Still don't understand because animals, when they migrate they travel in a swarm and he way how he used it on the topic of migration is not appropiate.

I didn't say that you didn't have common sense so what are you suggesting?

PS: Please don't call me mate because we aren't friends. Thank you.
EDIT: I would rather say "a large number of police" but if you want to use swarm then that's fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
For your second example it would make more sense if you used crowding not swarming. Still don't understand because animals, when they migrate they travel in a swarm and he way how he used it on the topic of migration is not appropiate.

I didn't say that you didn't have common sense so what are you suggesting?

PS: Please don't call me mate because we aren't friends. Thank you.

Why is immigration a different issue since you are describing peoples actions as you would in any other situation?

Oh I get it the people you are describing are not white and therefore we must moderate our language to 'not offend'. Give me a break.
Yes it was acceptable. The eternally offended have to moan about something though else they cant function

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending