The Student Room Group

Need help with drawing isomers

1449098401105684403789.jpgcould anyone explain how to do this question. I am stuck on the how the two isomers work. I don'tknow if ch2cl is a functional group or not and if I have to name them, how would I do that. I don't understand why the isomers are drawn this way. Thanks.
Original post by coconut64
1449098401105684403789.jpgcould anyone explain how to do this question. I am stuck on the how the two isomers work. I don'tknow if ch2cl is a functional group or not and if I have to name them, how would I do that. I don't understand why the isomers are drawn this way. Thanks.

the attachment at the top right can also be

-CHCl2

-CCl3
I don't understand how to do isomers too sorry but I also hope someone can help me as well? Like if you get given butane and they tell you to find all the isomers how do you do it? Like I know you meant to find the longest chain or something but I don't understand how to get there?
Reply 3
Original post by charco
the attachment at the top right can also be

-CHCl2

-CCl3

I think i get it now. But do you know what the name of this molecule is? Ch3ch2ch2oh3? Thanks
Reply 4
I think i get it now. But do you know what the name of this molecule is? Ch3ch2ch2oh3? Thanks

Have you typed that out correctly? Should it say CH3CH2CH2OH not CH3CH2CH2OH3? If so, then that would be propan-1-ol.
Reply 5
Original post by Jpw1097
Have you typed that out correctly? Should it say CH3CH2CH2OH not CH3CH2CH2OH3? If so, then that would be propan-1-ol.

No, that's exactly what it says in the question.
Reply 6
No, that's exactly what it says in the question.

That is very strange. I searched CH3CH2CH2OH3 in google and nothing seemed to come up.
Reply 7
Original post by Jpw1097
That is very strange. I searched CH3CH2CH2OH3 in google and nothing seemed to come up.

I don't know if it is a typo in the textbook, but I am guessing it is.Do you mind helping me in this thread? Thanks http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61050765&highlight=
Reply 8
I don't know if it is a typo in the textbook, but I am guessing it is.Do you mind helping me in this thread? Thanks http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=61050765&highlight=

I have replied to your other thread.

Quick Reply

Latest