The Student Room Group

Why are you NOT a feminist?

I'm not a feminist - I'm an egalitarian. I don't like how feminism is one-sided but also how modern feminism has stopped the real conversations. Celebs can campaign on banning the word bossy but didn't campaign for women's rights in the middle east for example. I don't care what the definition of feminism is, as long as it has a gendered pronoun it is biased. I am for equality.

So what's your reason for not being a feminist? (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I believe there are fundamental differences between females and males on a physical and emotional level
Original post by eoe
I believe there are fundamental differences between females and males on a physical and emotional level

Just because two things are not the same doesn't mean they aren't equal. People have different skin tones, surely that doesn't make them any less equal.
Reply 3
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Just because two things are not the same doesn't mean they aren't equal. People have different skin tones, surely that doesn't make them any less equal.

Of course both sexes are equal in terms of the respect they deserve.
Original post by eoe
Of course both sexes are equal in terms of the respect they deserve.

We're talking about more than respect, we're talking about rights.
Reply 5
We're talking about more than respect, we're talking about rights.

Equal rights as well, in it
bruv chill up
that's really dumb because feminism is about equality of the sexes it's not one sided at all and it's a really important movement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilsadkitty
that's really dumb because feminism is about equality of the sexes it's not one sided at all and it's a really important movement

Posted from TSR Mobile

The First and Second waves definitely were, back in the day were women substantially lacked the same rights as men. However, if you are speaking of contemporary "Third wave" Feminism, you couldn't be more wrong.

http://thoughtcatalog.com/chris-good/2014/12/why-feminism-is-not-the-fight-for-equal-rights/

I speak about the West, of course, the place where we have to crank up the thermostat to help women feel more "comfortable" or we have to prevent men from "manspreading" because it's "oppressive".
I don't label myself as a feminist as, while I agree with the core principle of equal rights an' that, the movement is the most incoherent mess I've ever seen. Plenty of people who call themselves feminists labelling other people who call themselves feminists "not true feminists" at such a rate that I'm not sure at all what the "true feminists" are and I can't reasonably label myself as one without getting like 500 potential bad things I could inadvertently be claiming to support.

Simply, it's too messy and I'd rather keep away from it until the fractured groups have some form of hunger games and get all the feminists singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak.
[video="youtube;WDA57sttHEo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDA57sttHEo[/video]
Reply 10
I'm not a feminist - I'm an egalitarian. I don't like how feminism is one-sided but also how modern feminism has stopped the real conversations. Celebs can campaign on banning the word bossy but didn't campaign for women's rights in the middle east for example. I don't care what the definition of feminism is, as long as it has a gendered pronoun it is biased. I am for equality.

So what's your reason for not being a feminist? (:

Exactly *standing ovation*

I'm not a feminist because in the workplace I think on average a male candidate will be better than a female candidate, but that's because society is still very much structured such that women dont need to be as qualified as men because men are still mostly expected to be the providers.

This problem is actually being made worse by feminism because of the positive discrimination you get today where a lot of companies are hiring women just for the sake of filling quotas and being seen to be diverse, even though these women are often not as qualified as their male counterparts.

Someone should be hired simply because they were the best candidate, not because they have a vagina.

And if women really want equality, then it has to be total equality (not the biased "equality" that modern feminism espouses), and they have to stop expecting men to provide for them, and accept relationships based on equal contribution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
I for one am not because equality isnt supposed to be gained by fighting for the 'little man', with the the inclusion of belittling the big man to the extent of hatred and overly bias remarks for the little man.

Just saying
P.S. I know there are different types of feminism (before TSR, I used to think feminism was just all about 'girl power'. Still am/was not one)

:smile:

Hopefully only post of the day
The hair doesn't grow on my cheeks, just under my chin
Because I believe that women and men should have equal rights.
I'm not a feminist because feminism is only for white people.

Spoiler

Original post by william walker

Spoiler

whaaaaaaa :colonhash: why on earth.
Original post by picklescamp
whaaaaaaa :colonhash: why on earth.

Because women only get power through the government taking away peoples freedom and liberty. So I am opposed to the increasing power of the government. So I am opposed to women having the same power as men.
I like being objectified by men and I wanna be a homemaker because I find that more fulfilling than anything. Feminism takes the fun out of being a woman. :unimpressed:
Reply 19
Original post by eoe
Equal rights as well, in it
bruv chill up

In that case dear you're a feminist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending