The Student Room Group

You are not being bullied, you are just too sensitive.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
If that's true (and, tbf, it is) then why were you so bothered about being in the red?

Essentially its because most users who are in the red are regarded as trolls unfairly, even though they post good posts.
A simple google search on tsr with the lines of "you have red gems I thought you were a troll...but you're nice" etc etc
There are plenty of examples even on milos why we removed neg thread.

But seriously don't quote back, everyone knows our views on this, don't want another cycle.
Reply 61
Original post by Blueray2
I used to get negged for good posts as well, doesn't mean jack, but it does when people called you troll all the time and dismissed your ideas you would. Hence this measure by tsr works!
Just look at all the new users coming out and speaking in support of this. Its phenomenal.
Even La95 with 1 green gem is debating with you all, as she wont get negged!

I'm not having a go at you personally, but the mentality you seem to think everyone should have, because people can't all be the same. never have been, people are weaker than others, if they weren't we wouldn't have a hierarchy of roles in society.
Not everyone is that way and its naive to think that way.

Drewski. He personally takes the time to do just that and periodically, I used to get negged by coincidentally the same neg power and the same period of time that you can neg again, by that user, on perfectly good posts.

None of that should matter. It is not about how sensitive someone is. It is about how trivial a rep system is.
Reply 62
Essentially its because most users who are in the red are regarded as trolls unfairly, even though they post good posts.
A simple google search on tsr with the lines of "you have red gems I thought you were a troll...but you're nice" etc etc
There are plenty of examples even on milos why we removed neg thread.

But seriously don't quote back, everyone knows our views on this, don't want another cycle.

But if it really didn't matter to you then why are you happy you have green gems now?
Original post by ckingalt
None of that should matter. It is not about how sensitive someone is. It is about how trivial a rep system is.

I had a whole paragraph and you tried toanswer it with 1 sentence shows how weak your argument was.

Original post by Kiss
But if it really didn't matter to you then why are you happy you have green gems now?

Did you even read what I said? I said I like it now because other people percive the colour of your gems as a portrail of your character, ie green = good and red = troll, which isn't the case.

All you high powered gems think you own/ run this site. I
Don't quote me back.
I'm done on this rep topic.
Original post by la95
You're welcome to your opinion. However, I disagree. If somebody says or does something to somebody else and they are upset/hurt by it and interpret it as bullying, then so be it. Furthermore, what you fail to consider is the state of mind of the person being bullied - if they are already fragile, with low self-esteem, being called 'boring' may be more damaging to them and their self-esteem than being called all the names under the sun would be to somebody of a less fragile disposition.

But that's not right, every full definition of bullying will talk about a belief of dominance on the part of the bully whether that be physically or socially. I understand perfectly that certain things will offend certain people more than others but you seem to disregard the fact that there's a line between simply making an offensive comment to someone and actually bullying them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by ckingalt
True bullying is horrible and its' effects can be devastating. That is not what I am attempting to discuss. The term bully is used way too often and inappropriately. I believe it is a social overreaction to the many tragic true bullying cases such as teen suicides which have occurred. All of those cases involve at least one persistent and malicious perpetrator. I am tired of hearing people proclaim that bullying is occurring just because they are disliked or disagreed with. Anyone doing so is being oversensitive, and they are marginalizing the real plight of those dealing with actual abuse.

With the recent changes to rep on TSR several people have stated that the neg was a form of bullying. I don't care about the changes and that is not my debate. However, it is a perfect analogy to what I am talking about. How can anyone be that fragile? I'm pretty sure several of my posts in the past earned near 100 negs. How is that being bullied? Sometimes I say provocative things. I suppose I am about to say another.

If you have ever refrained from saying what you believe on TSR for fear of a neg. If you have ever deleted a post because it was receiving a negative reaction. If you have ever had more or less self esteem because you obtained red or green gems. Then you are a pathetic bitch. It should be easy to climb out of your delicate little shell and find some backbone while you are protected by a username and a computer screen.

Applying that same attitude to real life will be much more difficult, but you will be better off if you do.

And if people do feel as if they are being bullied they should instantly stand up for themselves
Original post by la95
The definition of bullying varies - see my post above.

Tbh, we're just arguing about semantics/ labels now. If you define being thrown a one-off comment which you interpret to be offensive (which you may not even have been offensive) as being bullied then you detract from the true meaning of bullying, imo. Bullying, to my mind, means you choose to victimise a specific individual (for whatever reason) and then proceed to hurt/ intimidate/ offend/ make them do something they don't want to because it makes you feel big/ because it benefits you in someway. I do agree with you though that I don't think that it being a habitual action is a necessary condition to be deemed as bullying. Suppose that a bully chooses their victim and proceeds to bully them for an extended period of time, say half an hour (calls them names, beats them up, whatever) and this was just a one-off event, the bully never does anything to the victim again. This was a one-off event (though I suppose it's up for debate what you deem to be one-off and habitual) but imo, the person was bullied.

For this reason, I don't think the OP calling everyone who is overly sensitive about these kinds of things a pathetic bitch is classifiable as bullying tbh. Whilst it might've been a bit unnecessary, I don't really feel the OP was looking to victimise these people and offend them and the intent wasn't malicious, but more like, "look at yourself, what the hell are you doing?". That's why I think that your definition is ridiculous tbh. Going back to your example and following your logic, suppose I know a person and I don't know that they have low-self esteem issues. I tell them "oh you're boring, you should really try to be more outgoing" and then they take offence to that. You're correct in your assertion, different people will take offense to different things, a person could take offence to absolutely anything, I could tell you right now that I am offended if people wear articles of clothing that are yellow in colour. Similarly, some people don't take criticism very well, are even offended by it. If you're offended by something that was not intended to be malicious, that most people would not interpret to be offensive, then the problem is your's imo and labelling me as a bully for it is ridiculous. Just like labelling you as a bully is ridiculous if you wear a yellow piece of clothing and I tell you that I take offense to it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Don't quote me back.
I'm done on this rep topic.

The irony being this wasn't about rep. This was about the wider point of bullying. You're the one who made it about rep.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.
Reply 68
I had a whole paragraph and you tried toanswer it with 1 sentence shows how weak your argument was.

This statement is embarrassing. The strength of an argument is not based on its' length.

Did you even read what I said? I said I like it now because other people percive the colour of your gems as a portrail of your character, ie green = good and red = troll, which isn't the case.

All you high powered gems think you own/ run this site. I
Don't quote me back.
I'm done on this rep topic
Its' absurd that you still think this thread was about the rep changes. I don't care that they changed it, so if it makes people happy I say leave it. That does not mean I believe anyone has been bullied though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Felix Felicis
If you're offended by something that was not intended to be malicious, that most people would not interpret to be offensive, then the problem is your's imo and labelling me as a bully for it is ridiculous. Just like labelling you as a bully is ridiculous if you wear a yellow piece of clothing and I tell you that I take offense to it.
I've said multiple times that I don't think ANYBODY should be labelled a bully, because what constitutes bullying is subjective.
Also, at no point did I claim that the OP's assertion that people who are 'overly sensitive' are "pathetic bitches" was bullying - in fact, I said that had it been directed at a particular individual (which imo is victimisation), I would consider it bullying. For the most part, I agree with what you said. I think this entire thread is based on definitions and arbitrary criteria - as I said in my first response, there isn't a fixed point of sensitivity after which it becomes acceptable to be upset or hurt by something. I think it's very muddy water because it's impossible to establish a set of one-size-fits-all criteria for what bullying is. I think establishments such as schools should establish flexible criteria for the purpose of administering appropriate punishments, but other than that, I think it all comes down to how the 'bullied' individual feels. Irrespective of whether they are being 'overly sensitive' or not, the outcome is the same for them - they are hurt and upset and steps should be taken to address that.
Reply 70
Original post by HarryJames
But that's not right, every full definition of bullying will talk about a belief of dominance on the part of the bully whether that be physically or socially. I understand perfectly that certain things will offend certain people more than others but you seem to disregard the fact that there's a line between simply making an offensive comment to someone and actually bullying them

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I said in the post above, I don't think anybody should be labelled a bully but I do think a set of flexible criteria for what constitutes bullying should be established by places such as schools for the purpose of administering appropriate punishments. However, the outcome is the same for the 'bullied' individual irrespective of whether they are being 'overly sensitive' or not - they are hurt and upset and it's important to address that.
Original post by la95
As I said in the post above, I don't think anybody should be labelled a bully but I do think a set of flexible criteria for what constitutes bullying should be established by places such as schools for the purpose of administering appropriate punishments. However, the outcome is the same for the 'bullied' individual irrespective of whether they are being 'overly sensitive' or not - they are hurt and upset and it's important to address that.

There's no need for flexible criteria, it's just a case of understanding what's bullying and what is just an insult

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
There's no need for flexible criteria, it's just a case of understanding what's bullying and what is just an insult

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who decides what constitutes what? Surely it's impossible to outline specific, rigid criteria for bullying?
Original post by la95
Who decides what constitutes what? Surely it's impossible to outline specific, rigid criteria for bullying?

Not really, it's defined by a belief, on the part of the bully, that they are dominant in some form so they are, in essence, preying on a 'weaker' person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Not really, it's defined by a belief, on the part of the bully, that they are dominant in some form so they are, in essence, preying on a 'weaker' person

Posted from TSR Mobile

I very much doubt many 'bullies' actually hold that belief.
Original post by la95
I very much doubt many 'bullies' actually hold that belief.

That they're superior to the victim? I would imagine all do hence why they choose that particular person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
That they're superior to the victim? I would imagine all do hence why they choose that particular person

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree...do you not think it's possible for people to bully individuals they're jealous of, i.e. individuals they feel are superior to them in some way?
Original post by la95
I disagree...do you not think it's possible for people to bully individuals they're jealous of, i.e. individuals they feel are superior to them in some way?

To an extent yes but not jealous because of someone's social standing (because people would hate you and you'd be far more likely to meet resistance) and certainly not physically. Bullies are almost always cowards which is why they prey on those they feel are weaker than them. Besides it's not me setting out the criteria for bullying, it's just part of the definition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
I don't like this, a lot more should be taken into account. For someone who is or has been a victim of bullying I'll bet the majority would doubt themselves and feel pathetic after reading something like this. A lot of people who are bullied blame themselves and don't realise they are being bullied. Posts like this could be worded in a much more positive light as they have the capacity to make a bully victim feel that they are just 'too sensitive' as opposed to being bullied or treated unfairly. Its fine to have an opinion and to voice it but I think everyone should think about the effect things like this have on EVERYONE that would have reason to read it including people who are victims of bullying.
Original post by Sjeww
I don't like this, a lot more should be taken into account. For someone who is or has been a victim of bullying I'll bet the majority would doubt themselves and feel pathetic after reading something like this. A lot of people who are bullied blame themselves and don't realise they are being bullied. Posts like this could be worded in a much more positive light as they have the capacity to make a bully victim feel that they are just 'too sensitive' as opposed to being bullied or treated unfairly. Its fine to have an opinion and to voice it but I think everyone should think about the effect things like this have on EVERYONE that would have reason to read it including people who are victims of bullying.

Soooo why the **** did you bump a two year old thread?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending