The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

British Muslims, would you fight for the British Army?

This was a topic bought up in class today (my class is 90% muslim, along with me) of whether we'd fight for the British Army. Many of my classmates said no, and I could understand why, the issues surrounding countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc, raised issues with the fact that innocent muslims have died due to these wars. But reflecting back onto it, I would fight for Britain, if the Island was under direct attack, but the issue regarding Britain vs Muslim countries is complex, I'm not the most religious muslim, infact I hardly even practice the faith ,so it does raise identity issues, but I certainly do see the stigma and the issues regarding fighting in lands in the first place, e.g Afghanistan, where the whole situation is so complex.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never.
Reply 2
Why would a Muslim want to fight for the British Army lol. That makes no sense the British Army is not Islamic they are not fighting to help Islam or Muslims and also many of these soldiers are war criminals.
Original post by al_94
Why would a Muslim want to fight for the British Army lol. That makes no sense the British Army is not Islamic they are not fighting to help Islam or Muslims and also many of these soldiers are war criminals.

You could ask: "Why would a muslim want to live in Britain? That makes no sence because Britain is not Islamic".
Reply 4
And as this thread is already demonstrating, this is why Islam does not belong in the west.
Original post by al_94

This sums up why Islam is incompatible with the West in two sentences.
Original post by Wellzi
And as this thread is already demonstrating, this is why Islam does not belong in the west.

The OP should have worded the scenario better as in Britain getting unjustly attacked. Then it would show the distinction between those who deserve to live here and not, regardless of religion. I'm sure you are aware most pacifists are probably non-muslim and wouldn't join the BA either.
Reply 7
Original post by Zezo
This was a topic bought up in class today (my class is 90% muslim, along with me) of whether we'd fight for the British Army. Many of my classmates said no, and I could understand why, the issues surrounding countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria etc, raised issues with the fact that innocent muslims have died due to these wars. But reflecting back onto it, I would fight for Britain, if the Island was under direct attack, but the issue regarding Britain vs Muslim countries is complex, I'm not the most religious muslim, infact I hardly even practice the faith ,so it does raise identity issues, but I certainly do see the stigma and the issues regarding fighting in lands in the first place, e.g Afghanistan, where the whole situation is so complex.

I would, yes. I live in this country, I was born here and I'm a British citizen, if we were under attack, I'd definitely defend my country and fight for it. This is my country so yes.

By the way, war criminals should be subject to harsh punishment as they do not represent the values of this country,
Reply 8
Original post by TheTruthTeller
You could ask: "Why would a muslim want to live in Britain? That makes no sence because Britain is not Islamic".

If you know your history you would know the answer to that.
Reply 9
Original post by themanthelegend
This sums up why Islam is incompatible with the West in two sentences.

Why is that? Muslims are working as doctors, teachers, taxi drivers etc they do not need to fight for Britain and I don't care what religion you are these wars are unjust and nobody should support them.
Original post by al_94
If you know your history you would know the answer to that.

If you are unhappy living in a non-muslim country and since islam is clearly the most important thing in your life, why not move to a muslim country which fulfils your needs?
Depends on the situation, if we're being attacked (e.g. A full on invasion) then maybe. But I'm not really a fan of wars anyway, I'd rather avoid it.
Reply 12
If you are unhappy living in a non-muslim country and since islam is clearly the most important thing in your life, why not move to a muslim country which fulfils your needs?

Who is talking about being unhappy in the UK you are clearly don't know your history or you are being a troll don't respond to me with that nonsense or you will be blocked
I got a letter from the government
The other day
I opened and read it
It said they were suckers
They wanted me for their army or whatever
Picture me given' a damn, I said never
Here is a land that never gave a damn
About a brother like me and myself
Original post by al_94
Who is talking about being unhappy in the UK you are clearly don't know your history or you are being a troll don't respond to me with that nonsense or you will be blocked

I don't know my history? Deluded is an understatement... You aware of Islamic conquests and coloanlism of the world from Persia to Spain? I guess you don't want to hear the truth because your biased ears can only play the victim
Let's not forget the thousands of Muslims that did fight and die for Britain in ww1 and ww2.

Today, the hesitation of Muslims to fight for the British army is premised upon political reasons. They do not regard the wars being fought as legitimate and justified. Take Iraq for example.

If Britain was threatened, and the justifications for a war legitimate, then Muslims would, just like other Britons, consider fighting.

To say that being Muslim and fighting for the UK is incompatible on religious grounds, goes against historical facts.
Original post by PostGrad221
Let's not forget the thousands of Muslims that did fight and die for Britain in ww1 and ww2.

Today, the hesitation of Muslims to fight for the British army is premised upon political reasons. They do not regard the wars being fought as legitimate and justified. Take Iraq for example.

If Britain was threatened, and the justifications for a war legitimate, then Muslims would, just like other Britons, consider fighting.

To say that being Muslim and fighting for the UK is incompatible on religious grounds, goes against historical facts.

You must be out of your ****ing mind

I'm not Muslim and I would never fight in the British army, this country has done nothing for me America couldn't have done
Original post by SonOfTheGun
You must be out of your ****ing mind

I'm not Muslim and I would never fight in the British army, this country has done nothing for me America couldn't have done

First of all I used the term 'consider'. I didn't say they would. People have a right to assess the facts and make a decision, whatever it may be.

Secondly, if this country has done nothing for you, and you have no pride in being British, then you're free to leave for America.

Because money :h:
Original post by driftawaay
Because money :h:

In reality it's because this country, despite its numerous faults provides a standard of living for people higher than the majority of other muslim countries.

Latest

Trending

Trending