The Student Room Group

Find the positive whole x and y values to which this equation is true?

x241y2=1x^2-41y^2 = 1
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BinaryJava
x241y2=1x^2-41y^2 = 1

This is Pell's equation x2Dy2=1x^2 - D y^2 = 1 with D=41D=41. You can find standard treatments of this here or here.
Reply 2
I am struggling to understand how you use continous fractions to solve it and why D\sqrt D is relevant. I know how to write P/QP/Q in continous fraction notation but I am not sure how to express irrational numbers.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am struggling to understand how you use continous fractions to solve it and why D\sqrt D is relevant. I know how to write P/QP/Q in continous fraction notation but I am not sure how to express irrational numbers.

The reason that D\sqrt{D} is important is that you can re-cast the problem as finding solutions to

(x+yD)(xyD)=1 \displaystyle (x + y \sqrt{D})(x - y \sqrt{D}) = 1

so that the problem is equivalent to finding a non-trivial unit of norm 1 in the ring Z[D] \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{D}] .

It sounds as though you need to brush up on the theory of continued fractions. There's a pretty good tutorial here - and it includes a treatment of the key fact about how the continued fraction of a quadratic surd (like D \sqrt{D} ) is repeating.
Reply 4
Original post by Gregorius
The reason that D\sqrt{D} is important is that you can re-cast the problem as finding solutions to

(x+yD)(xyD)=1 \displaystyle (x + y \sqrt{D})(x - y \sqrt{D}) = 1

so that the problem is equivalent to finding a non-trivial unit of norm 1 in the ring Z[D] \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{D}] .

It sounds as though you need to brush up on the theory of continued fractions. There's a pretty good tutorial here - and it includes a treatment of the key fact about how the continued fraction of a quadratic surd (like D \sqrt{D} ) is repeating.

Thanks, that has cleared some things up. This is something I haven't learnt yet, it was a problem for the york applicant day. Could you explain what a non trivial unit of norm 1 in the ring z is?
Thanks, that has cleared some things up. This is something I haven't learnt yet, it was a problem for the york applicant day. Could you explain what a non trivial unit of norm 1 in the ring z is?

OK. So

Z[D]={x+yD:x,yZ} \displaystyle \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{D}] = \{x + y \sqrt{D}: x, y \in \mathbb{Z} \}

with the obvious operations of addition and multiplication to make it a ring. The point is that we use numbers of the form x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} to study solutions of the Pell equation.

The norm of x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} is defined to be precisely x2Dy2 x^2 - D y^2 (if you think about the norm of a complex number being derived from the product of the number with its complex conjugate, you get an analogy of where this is coming from).

So if the norm of x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} is x2Dy2 x^2 - D y^2 then to solve the Pell equation is precisely to find a conjugate pair of elements satisfying

(x+yD)(xyD)=1 \displaystyle (x + y \sqrt{D}) (x - y \sqrt{D}) = 1

In other words, we want to find divisors of unity (so-called units) that are not equal to unity (i.e. they are non-trivial) and which have norm one.
...it was a problem for the york applicant day...

Are you thinking of coming to York? Good department - but I'm biased as I work at York Uni!
Reply 7
Are you thinking of coming to York? Good department - but I'm biased as I work at York Uni!

I really liked it there, the research from the maths department really impressed me. It is definitely going to be a university I choose as an option, just not sure whether insurance or firm.
Reply 8
OK. So

Z[D]={x+yD:x,yZ} \displaystyle \mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{D}] = \{x + y \sqrt{D}: x, y \in \mathbb{Z} \}

with the obvious operations of addition and multiplication to make it a ring. The point is that we use numbers of the form x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} to study solutions of the Pell equation.

The norm of x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} is defined to be precisely x2Dy2 x^2 - D y^2 (if you think about the norm of a complex number being derived from the product of the number with its complex conjugate, you get an analogy of where this is coming from).

So if the norm of x+yD x + y \sqrt{D} is x2Dy2 x^2 - D y^2 then to solve the Pell equation is precisely to find a conjugate pair of elements satisfying

(x+yD)(xyD)=1 \displaystyle (x + y \sqrt{D}) (x - y \sqrt{D}) = 1

In other words, we want to find divisors of unity (so-called units) that are not equal to unity (i.e. they are non-trivial) and which have norm one.

Ok, that makes sense.
Reply 9
Is this on the right track, I have got stuck trying to get rid of the 12/5 on my 41\sqrt 41

Do I then sub this into the top equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this on the right track, I have got stuck trying to get rid of the 12/5 on my 41\sqrt 41

Do I then sub this into the top equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure what you are doing here, but it looks as if you are calculating the general continued fraction rather than the simple form we need here. If you are following the link I posted earlier, you should be working through the algorithm in section 6.2.2.

So you should be getting something like

x0=41=6+1x1 \displaystyle x_0 = \sqrt{41} = 6 + \frac{1}{x_1}

which will simplify out to

x1=41+65=2+1x2\displaystyle x_1 = \frac{\sqrt{41} + 6}{5} = 2 + \frac{1}{x_2}

and then

x2=41+45=2+1x3\displaystyle x_2 = \frac{\sqrt{41} + 4}{5} = 2 + \frac{1}{x_3}

and so on (but thankfully not for very far!)

Do you follow?
Are these the correct workings and is my notation at the end correct?

How would I use this expansion to go about solving my equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are these the correct workings and is my notation at the end correct?

How would I use this expansion to go about solving my equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very close, but

x3=41+6=12+1x4 \displaystyle x_3 = \sqrt{41} + 6 = 12 + \frac{1}{x_4}

with

x4=41+65 \displaystyle x_4 = \frac{\sqrt{41} + 6}{5}

So you've lost the last term of the recurrence. After this, the terms of the continued fraction just repeat.

From here the point is that you get the first solution of the Pell equation from among the convergents of the continued fraction representation of 41\sqrt{41}.

x2ny2=1 \displaystyle x^2 - n y^2 = 1

if and only if xy\frac{x}{y} is among the convergents of the continued fraction representation of n\sqrt{n} . So you just have to start churning through the convergents of the continued fraction representation until you find a solution. Here, you should get convergents starting 6, 13/2, 32/5...

If you want to carry through with the algebra, it might help to refer to here for some computational help.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest