The Student Room Group

Further Maths Matrices Question

I was doing this question and couldn't figure out how to do it, so I looked at the SolutionBank answer online and for some reason they set the determinant to zero?

(q13 from mixed exercise 6 of the edexcel core pure textbook)

When I attempted it, I found the determinant (5a+15) as part of an attempt to find the inverse matrix, but I don't understand why setting it to equal 0 is what you need to do here?

solution bank answer:
https://www.activeteachonline.com/default/player/document/id/721178/external/0/uid/357726

Any help (or any advice for studying / revising FM in general) is great
Specifically to your question:
So hopefully you know this system can be rewritten into the form Ax=b (do you know what this means?)

If det(A) is not zero, A is invertible, and the solution vector is precisely x=A^{-1}b. Which means we have a unique solution.
So for the system not have a unique solution, det(A) = 0.

Here's a key point: det(A) = 0 only guarantees no unique solutions. Whether the system has infinitely many/no solution, we don't know.

---

Now I actually don't think finding det(A) is the most efficient way. I'd straight-up do Gaussian elimination... but it looks like you haven't learned it yet?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tonyiptony
Specifically to your question:
So hopefully you know this system can be rewritten into the form Ax=b (do you know what this means?)

If det(A) is not zero, A is invertible, and the solution vector is precisely x=A^{-1}b. Which means we have a unique solution.
So for the system not have a unique solution, det(A) = 0.

Here's a key point: det(A) = 0 only guarantees no unique solutions. Whether the system has infinitely many/no solution, we don't know.

---

Now I actually don't think finding det(A) is the most efficient way. I'd straight-up do Gaussian elimination... but it looks like you haven't learned it yet?

Thank you for the help! The step I was missing was what you said; because there are infinitely many solutions, the determinant is therefore 0. I don't know why that information completely left my brain when i did this question.

I've been using fmsp's videos to study the content, and Gaussian eliminations haven't come up in those (or the textbook I think). It's interesting to see that other methods exist for a problem like this.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 0gg
Thank you for the help! The step I was missing was what you said; because there are infinitely many solutions, the determinant is therefore 0. I don't know why that information completely left my brain when i did this question.

I've been using fmsp's videos to study the content, and Gaussian eliminations haven't come up in those (or the textbook I think). It's interesting to see that other methods exist for a problem like this.

No problem, glad I could help.

I do want to stress again (and I probably wouldn't stop) that your observation only goes one way. det(A) = 0 does not mean there are infinitely many solutions. In fact, for this particular problem, whether there are infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all (for the a you've found) relies entirely on what b is, which the question happens to also ask for.
Reply 4
Original post by 0gg
I was doing this question and couldn't figure out how to do it, so I looked at the SolutionBank answer online and for some reason they set the determinant to zero?

(q13 from mixed exercise 6 of the edexcel core pure textbook)

When I attempted it, I found the determinant (5a+15) as part of an attempt to find the inverse matrix, but I don't understand why setting it to equal 0 is what you need to do here?

solution bank answer:
https://www.activeteachonline.com/default/player/document/id/721178/external/0/uid/357726

Any help (or any advice for studying / revising FM in general) is great

We want to find the values of the real constants "a" and "b" for which the system has infinitely many solutions. This happens when the three equations are dependent, meaning one of them can be expressed as a linear combination of the other two.

To check if the equations are dependent, we'll use the method of determinants. The determinant of the coefficients of the variables is called the determinant of the system. If the determinant is zero, then the system has infinitely many solutions.

The determinants are as follows:

Determinant of the coefficients:
D = | 2 3 1 |
|-1 1 2 |
| a 1 4 |

Now, to find the value of "a" and "b" for which the system has infinitely many solutions, we need to set the determinant D to zero:

D = 0

Expanding the determinant:

D = 2(1 * 4 - 2 * 1) - 3(-1 * 4 - 2 * a) + 1(-(-1 * 1 - a * 2))

D = 8 - 3(-4 - 2a) + (1 - 2a)

D = 8 + 12 + 6a + 1 - 2a

D = 21 + 4a

Now, to find the values of "a" and "b" for infinitely many solutions, we set D to zero:

21 + 4a = 0

Solving for "a":

4a = -21
a = -21 / 4

Now that we have the value of "a," we can find "b" using any of the original equations. Let's use the third equation:

ax + y + 4z = b

Substitute the value of "a" we found:

(-21/4)x + y + 4z = b

Now, this equation needs to be the same as one of the other two equations (either the first or the second equation) to have infinitely many solutions. We can check that by comparing the coefficients of x, y, and z in this equation with the corresponding coefficients in the first two equations.

Comparing coefficients of x:

(-21/4) = 2
This is not true.

Comparing coefficients of y:

1 = 3
This is not true.

Comparing coefficients of z:

4 = 1
This is not true.

Since none of the coefficients of x, y, and z match with those of the first two equations, there are no real values of "a" and "b" for which the system has infinitely many solutions. The system either has a unique solution or no solution.
Reply 5
Original post by otinme
We want to find the values of the real constants "a" and "b" for which the system has infinitely many solutions. This happens when the three equations are dependent, meaning one of them can be expressed as a linear combination of the other two.

To check if the equations are dependent, we'll use the method of determinants. The determinant of the coefficients of the variables is called the determinant of the system. If the determinant is zero, then the system has infinitely many solutions.

The determinants are as follows:

Determinant of the coefficients:
D = | 2 3 1 |
|-1 1 2 |
| a 1 4 |

Now, to find the value of "a" and "b" for which the system has infinitely many solutions, we need to set the determinant D to zero:

D = 0

Expanding the determinant:

D = 2(1 * 4 - 2 * 1) - 3(-1 * 4 - 2 * a) + 1(-(-1 * 1 - a * 2))

D = 8 - 3(-4 - 2a) + (1 - 2a)

Its worth having the read of the posting guidelines sticky at the top of the forum, especially not posting solutions. Youve gone wrong in the initial determinant calculation.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by mqb2766
Its worth having the read of the posting guidelines sticky at the top of the forum, especially not posting solutions. Youve gone wrong in the initial determinant calculation.

That looks like a ChatGPT response...
Reply 7

Agreed, esp with the "you can pm me" at the end of their other chatgpt post. Sad to see essay mills using chatgpt to pretend they know what theyre doing.
Reply 8

There's another post from this poster on the thread about the discriminant of a quadratic, and I had exactly the same thought :smile:
Reply 9

A bit beyond a level, but getting back to maths, the first part of this could be fairly easily spotted as
col1 + col3 = col2
for the first two rows, so a must be -3. Couldnt come up with an easy way to get b though as the row multipliers are fractions which need a bit too much work for me to be happy.

Edit - One way would be to solve the 2*2 upper right submatrix (ignore x) to get y=1,z=3, then sub that into row3 to get b=13, though as you say, some from of gauss elimination on the augmented matrix would be the more usual way to go. The solution bank seems laborious for 6 marks.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest