The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

How would we get rid of the monarchy in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by N-R-G
Same way the Russians did then I'd install some madcap dictator like Stalin for example. LoL I'm seriously left wing grew up loving Russia but thinking about the UK without a royal family well where does that leave us. First like you say you have to dispose of them somehow and then what? Don't say we could be democratic republicans because that would be nigh on impossible to be rid of them democratically.

The French were just fine without their Royal family, this country would be too.
Reply 101
Original post by WBZ144
The French were just fine without their Royal family, this country would be too.

Yes but that took a bloody revolution I don't see that happening somehow.
Original post by N-R-G
Yes but that took a bloody revolution I don't see that happening somehow.

We live in different times though, I highly doubt that something to that extreme is needed to dispose of the Windsor family. They have no political power now, except for on the surface.
Reply 103
Original post by WBZ144
We live in different times though, I highly doubt that something to that extreme is needed to dispose of the Windsor family. They have no political power now, except for on the surface.

So why not just leave them to rot. The amount of public money spent to support their lifestyle is ridiculous. They are officially the biggest benefit cheats in the UK.
Original post by N-R-G
So why not just leave them to rot. The amount of public money spent to support their lifestyle is ridiculous. They are officially the biggest benefit cheats in the UK.

That's what I would suggest :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by WBZ144
That's what I would suggest :smile:

We should cut their benefits?
Original post by N-R-G
We should cut their benefits?

Yes, the main thing that I have against them is the fact that they receive millions in tax money simply because they were born into a certain family. I think that this contradicts modern-day British values. Without all of that funding, I couldn't care less whether they kept their status of royalty or not.
Reply 107
Original post by WBZ144
Yes, the main thing that I have against them is the fact that they receive millions in tax money simply because they were born into a certain family. I think that this contradicts modern-day British values. Without all of that funding, I couldn't care less whether they kept their status of royalty or not.

I agree its a pacifist solution to the argument and a step towards a republican society.
Original post by WBZ144
The Windsor family represent everything contrary to what democracy and meritocracy stand for.

Being entitled to millions every year from the pockets of taxpayers just because you were born into a certain family is not something that should still be happening in the 21st century. And all this in the name of patriotism? Are people really so blind?

Yea read the thread all that crap has been answered already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Medicine and law don't account for the same skills. Analysis and understanding are key concepts within law and politics, yet in your law career your analytical skills were deemed to be **** whereas in politics they are deemed to be 70%+. That tells you a lot.

I am just saying, bud, don't dare ever be cocky because you have no reason to be.

when was I ever cocky? after all *you* have said, what can you possibly construe from me as "cockiness"? does this go back to me insulting your degree again? or is this about something original? do you want a ****ing apology? get over it - this actually looks ridiculous on your part. well, I don't know - maybe your claim that you've got to take a course for 3 years until you can really begin to critique it is worse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WBZ144

Then if you knew what you were talking about you would have nothing against them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepysnooze
when was I ever cocky? after all *you* have said, what can you possibly construe from me as "cockiness"? does this go back to me insulting your degree again? or is this about something original? do you want a ****ing apology? get over it - this actually looks ridiculous on your part. well, I don't know - maybe your claim that you've got to take a course for 3 years until you can really begin to critique it is worse.

Yeah, but I have reason to be cocky? You don't.
Yeah, but I have reason to be cocky? You don't.

no you don't :lol: but either way, whatever makes you happy
and you didn't answer my question - when was *I* cocky?
no you don't :lol: but either way, whatever makes you happy
and you didn't answer my question - when was *I* cocky?

I really do. I don't resort to straw men to make arguments, unlike you. "Three years on a course before you can offer opinion on it." Wasn't my point, but that doesn't stop the ill-fated politics undergrad.

You were being cocky when you were shooting down the other poster's intelligence.
I really do. I don't resort to straw men to make arguments, unlike you. "Three years on a course before you can offer opinion on it." Wasn't my point, but that doesn't stop the ill-fated politics undergrad.

You were being cocky when you were shooting down the other poster's intelligence.

you really do? well I'm happy that you derive so much happiness from something that so many other people in the world have done better than - I envy that. I'm such a dull guy with my feet on the ground. your life must be fantastic.
how was I shooting down the other poster's intelligence? if you're suggesting that a mere criticism of the course of law is enough to sway a person's opinion just like that then it's obviously *you* who're implying that they're not intelligent. not me.
also, you're now criticising *my* course - ergo, you're doing the same ****ing thing. you've never taken my course. you have no idea about it. at least I can claim to know *something* about the course of law.
you really do? well I'm happy that you derive so much happiness from something that so many other people in the world have done better than - I envy that. I'm such a dull guy with my feet on the ground. your life must be fantastic.
how was I shooting down the other poster's intelligence? if you're suggesting that a mere criticism of the course of law is enough to sway a person's opinion just like that then it's obviously *you* who're implying that they're not intelligent. not me.
also, you're now criticising *my* course - ergo, you're doing the same ****ing thing. you've never taken my course. you have no idea about it. at least I can claim to know *something* about the course of law.

What on earth are you talking about? I did take your course for a year, got a 58% and dropped out! Are you trying to say you know the course better than me?
Original post by chapmouse
So i'm all for the royal family here in the UK. They're great.

Royals make up such a huge part of History taught in schools, because they're just so cool. Royal families are a really great discussion point, and they bring in such a huge amount of interest from other countries all over the world.

So why would people want to get rid of them? I'd love to hear people's arguments for and against the royal family.
And if you DO want to get rid of the royal family, how would it happen?
I'm not the biggest history geek, so I'm not really sure how royal families in the past have dissolved (I imagine largely through war) but I don't see how you can just tell a whole bloodline "Hey, enough is enough."

So yeah,
discuss!

Two things

1) The Royal Family makes England a major tourist destination and plays a key role in the "British Image" when it comes to films and other media so getting rid of them would be stupid. People love seeing English castles because they're REAL they actually house the royal family unlike smelly French castles that are decaying and do nothing. I used to live in America and when my mates saw a royal celebration on TV with the royal family walking through a big crowd of people they all go "Damn I wish we had a royal family" so do you really want them to go?

2) The current monarch, Elizabeth II has power over the British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and Her Majesty's Marine's. Notice how most of those names either begin with 'royal' or something like that, so If you wan't to get rid of the Queen, then PFFF good luck, not to mention the UK is close allies with the US and other NATO members you can rule this out as impossible.
What on earth are you talking about? I did take your course for a year, got a 58% and dropped out! Are you trying to say you know the course better than me?

when did I claim that? where did I even imply it? I said I know "something" about your course, and you don't know anything about mine by the same standards. if you were essentially telling me I'm not in a position to criticise your course because I didn't take the whole of it for 3 years then how are you in any position at all to being taking shots at mine?
when did I claim that? where did I even imply it? I said I know "something" about your course, and you don't know anything about mine by the same standards. if you were essentially telling me I'm not in a position to criticise your course because I didn't take the whole of it for 3 years then how are you in any position at all to being taking shots at mine?

Because yours is axiomatically ****.
You have to kill loyalists like me first

Latest

Trending

Trending