The Student Room Group

Do I need Further Maths if I want to study Astrophysics in university?

I am on my Year 12 taking my AS exams on Maths, Physics, Biology, Geography and English. I am planning on doing my A2 on Maths (Pure Maths 1), Physics and Biology. I think I am too late to take Further Maths A level but I can still do AS level, which I don't know if it is important since I want to go to universities such and Manchester or UCL.
They said that Further Maths could be optional but I believe that Further Maths is more favorable.
Even if I do Further Maths next year, what subjects on maths do I have to do?
Original post by shneebnee
I am on my Year 12 taking my AS exams on Maths, Physics, Biology, Geography and English. I am planning on doing my A2 on Maths (Pure Maths 1), Physics and Biology. I think I am too late to take Further Maths A level but I can still do AS level, which I don't know if it is important since I want to go to universities such and Manchester or UCL.
They said that Further Maths could be optional but I believe that Further Maths is more favorable.
Even if I do Further Maths next year, what subjects on maths do I have to do?

It would help a fair bit for first year (not after that though) so if think you can handle the extra work then take it, if not then dont worry about it too much, a lot of people wont have done it :smile:
In the long run it doesn't matter.
My Physics teacher and others have told me that it is highly commendable and will really help as the first term of maths you learn at uni is from the A level FM syllabus. It's the question of whether you want to work extra hard at school or at uni. I want to go to UCL too for astrophysics. And I'm in the same boat about whether to do FM or not.
Hope that helps
Doing Further Maths might give the opportunity to specialize in either Maths or Physics if you're university offers a mixed first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending