The Student Room Group

predicted grades

hello im currently doing a level maths physics and chem and achieved AAA at AS level however my teachers gave me BBB prediction and refused to change it. I was initially planning on just working really hard for my yr13 mocks but due to a personal situation i completely flopped (i got BCD) my teachers now completely refuse to change the prediction but i need AAA for the engineering course im applying for. what should i do?
You could speak to your tutor about the personal situation and maybe they could put it in your reference. I've heard that sometime you can be considered with a lower grade if you had some exceptional circumstances
Original post by Amy2306
hello im currently doing a level maths physics and chem and achieved AAA at AS level however my teachers gave me BBB prediction and refused to change it. I was initially planning on just working really hard for my yr13 mocks but due to a personal situation i completely flopped (i got BCD) my teachers now completely refuse to change the prediction but i need AAA for the engineering course im applying for. what should i do?

Realistically they're not going to bump them up. As above, there is a seciton in the reference specifically to cover any mitigating circumstances.. It's up to each uni how they take this into account.

I'd advise applying to your preferred unis regardless of grade requirements. Best case, you get at least one offer and might smash your AL results. Worst case, no offers and you can use Extra and then Clearing. If nothing you get no decent offers from either then take a year out and then apply with your achieved grades, (retaking if needs be).
Original post by Amy2306

Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and sorry to hear you're not happy with your predicted grades (I was pretty disappointed with mine in year 13 too). I would recommend continuing to apply for courses you can with the grades you have, with one uni having slightly higher required grades (one grade higher than your predicted) three solid ones that you can get with your grades and one insurance that is slightly lower than your predicted grades, so you get a good range and have covered all bases.
A great thing that was introduced is adjustments on results day, where if you outperform your predicted grades and have researched courses that accept student for "clearing and adjustments" you can call them up on the day and swap there and then to their course! It works really well for those in your situation and is something my brother did to do engineering as well: he was predicted low but achieved two A*s and and A, so had done previous research and on results day he called up various unis and they are happy to take you on if they have space in their course!

If that doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world either as you can take a gap year and reapply the next year if you want to retake anything. Don't worry about being "behind" if you take a gap year as there's no such thing as being behind or further ahead, everyone's doing their own thing and it's perfectly normal to take a year out to get better grdes and go somewhere you would prefer to go.

I hope all this helps and wish you all the best! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya,

I'm a current 3rd year astrophysics and cosmology student at Lancaster Uni and sorry to hear you're not happy with your predicted grades (I was pretty disappointed with mine in year 13 too). I would recommend continuing to apply for courses you can with the grades you have, with one uni having slightly higher required grades (one grade higher than your predicted) three solid ones that you can get with your grades and one insurance that is slightly lower than your predicted grades, so you get a good range and have covered all bases.
A great thing that was introduced is adjustments on results day, where if you outperform your predicted grades and have researched courses that accept student for "clearing and adjustments" you can call them up on the day and swap there and then to their course! It works really well for those in your situation and is something my brother did to do engineering as well: he was predicted low but achieved two A*s and and A, so had done previous research and on results day he called up various unis and they are happy to take you on if they have space in their course!

If that doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world either as you can take a gap year and reapply the next year if you want to retake anything. Don't worry about being "behind" if you take a gap year as there's no such thing as being behind or further ahead, everyone's doing their own thing and it's perfectly normal to take a year out to get better grdes and go somewhere you would prefer to go.

I hope all this helps and wish you all the best! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
-- Arya (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Hi, thank you so much for this reply. I've decided to just forget about my predicted grades and work towards my actual desired results. I applied for both aerospace engineering and astrophysics but i'm still not sure which route i want to take and was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your experience with studying astrophysics.

Quick Reply

Latest