The Student Room Group

Are all Economics undergrads career-hungry and centred on making money?

I read somewhere that only about 10-15% of Economics graduates go onto further study AND that includes those studying for exams to become accountants. How many actual Economics undergraduates go into economics because they want to study the field? I know this is a generalisation but out of most courses, Economics seems to bring in people who view university as a means to an end for employment.

Scroll to see replies

any rich girls hmu
Original post by Youngmetro
any rich girls hmu

If young metro don't trust you...
I got 'forced' into picking a joint honours course with Economics as one half, because my family has numerous preconceptions about economics being a very employable degree, which it is, I suppose?

But then again, they are all in the finance/professional services/banking sectors, with the majority of them studying an economics or economics-based degree. I don't think any of them wanted to actually study the field, but rather be seen as more 'employable' to those sectors.

I guess they do think that it is a 'means to an end' degree for employment.
A lot of them are but why is that a bad thing?
If I entered economics it would be more about either wanting to go down the academic route and with heterodox economics based around trying to apply more scientific analysis and econophysics . I have a physics degree so I'm interesting in stuff like that anyway and it is insane that standard economics ignores the developments in non-linear maths and physics since the 70s.

If not that I would probably try and go down an overtly political route in say like a think tank or something with the idea of analysing and coming up with suggestions in what I think would make society better.

This blog is written by someone who was now an economics graduate.

https://unlearningeconomics.wordpress.com/

I also follow economists such as Steve Keen. Speaking of which he now heads an pluralistic economics course at Kingston uni.

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2014/05/08/for-a-pluralist-education-come-to-kingston/
Original post by neal95
A lot of them are but why is that a bad thing?

I think OP is implying that if so few actually go onto further study...Who's going to progress the field? For a lot of other subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Maths we have tons of people taking up further education and publishing new findings.
Original post by EconMessiah
I read somewhere that only about 10-15% of Economics graduates go onto further study AND that includes those studying for exams to become accountants. How many actual Economics undergraduates go into economics because they want to study the field? I know this is a generalisation but out of most courses, Economics seems to bring in people who view university as a means to an end for employment.

I have to agree with you on this one. Econ at the holy 5 (Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick) is seen as a ticket to a city job by prospective applicants - hence the insane competition for places; Law suffers the same fate too. When in reality, no matter which top programme you go to, if you aren't cut out for a top job you aren't getting it. Just causay browsing my Linkedin network I've seen countless econ grads from top universities graduate without a job or plan lined up - the majority of these people fell into the trap of thinking their degree was a free ticket. Most of these jobs don't care what degree you graduate with as long as you're intelligent; it's not an auto-ride from Econ at top 5 uni to M&A Analyst at Goldman

It's quite rare for Econ grads to actually want to become economists or researchers, in fact, I'd say modern day econ students use the degree as a de facto business school network of sorts, setting their sights on consulting/law/investment banking/investing jobs with a bunch of other people in the same boat and alumni that were in the same position as well. I think the universities themselves promote these attitudes by appeasing to top employers for sponsorship money or to have their university's brand connected with 'success'. There's less emphasis on development economics (i.e. working for NGOs, the UN etc), politics, central banking etc all key areas that need a strong supply of top talent.

This mostly my opinion based on observing/being in acquaintance with a lot of Econ grads/students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Largely but it's the same for many degrees i.e Law, Medicine etc.

Then again i did meet a lot of idealistic lefties on economics. But it's a great subject to understand well, since money controls everything.

Dollar dollar

Bill y'all
Original post by Bill_Gates
Largely but it's the same for many degrees i.e Law, Medicine etc.

Then again i did meet a lot of idealistic lefties on economics. But it's a great subject to understand well, since money controls everything.

Dollar dollar

Bill y'all

Agree with Law, but definitely disagree on medicine. If you're focused on making money, there's tons of different easier alternatives than studying for 5 years, then a further 2 years, then working at the bottom of the barrel for a further few more years. For medicine, you have to love it or have some idealistic view of the world in order to even sustain your motivation over 5 years.
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
I have to agree with you on this one. Econ at the holy 5 (Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick) is seen as a ticket to a city job by prospective applicants - hence the insane competition for places; Law suffers the same fate too. When in reality, no matter which top programme you go to, if you aren't cut out for a top job you aren't getting it. Just causay browsing my Linkedin network I've seen countless econ grads from top universities graduate without a job or plan lined up - the majority of these people fell into the trap of thinking their degree was a free ticket. Most of these jobs don't care what degree you graduate with as long as you're intelligent; it's not an auto-ride from Econ at top 5 uni to M&A Analyst at Goldman

It's quite rare for Econ grads to actually want to become economists or researchers, in fact, I'd say modern day econ students use the degree as a de facto business school network of sorts, setting their sights on consulting/law/investment banking/investing jobs with a bunch of other people in the same boat and alumni that were in the same position as well. I think the universities themselves promote these attitudes by appeasing to top employers for sponsorship money or to have their university's brand connected with 'success'. There's less emphasis on development economics (i.e. working for NGOs, the UN etc), politics, central banking etc all key areas that need a strong supply of top talent.

This mostly my opinion based on observing/being in acquaintance with a lot of Econ grads/students.

I did Econ at one of top 5 you mentioned.

when I was at uni, development economics was for women and homosexuals.

if you werent about the Goldman Sachs then we didnt speak your language
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nile.
I did Econ at one of top 5 you mentioned.

when I was at uni, development economics was for women and homosexuals.

if you werent about the Goldman Sachs then we didnt speak your language

THE Goldman Sachs is the only way in life. Money is first, clients are last.

It's similar with engineering. I don't know anyone from my course who went into further study and overall it does seem quite uncommon for engineering graduates to enrol on further study programmes relative to many other degrees.

And it's probably quite similar with other vocational degrees, too (although economics is not a vocational degree).
Original post by High Stakes
Agree with Law, but definitely disagree on medicine. If you're focused on making money, there's tons of different easier alternatives than studying for 5 years, then a further 2 years, then working at the bottom of the barrel for a further few more years. For medicine, you have to love it or have some idealistic view of the world in order to even sustain your motivation over 5 years.

To a certain extent yes but being asian i know more than enough kids being pushed into medicine for the prestige and ££££. I also agree loads of ways to make easier money. The ones who are only in it for money don't go far.
Original post by Bill_Gates
To a certain extent yes but being asian i know more than enough kids being pushed into medicine for the prestige and ££££. I also agree loads of ways to make easier money. The ones who are only in it for money don't go far.

True. I guess I do see that as well (Arab family wanting all of their children to become doctors lol).

I chose economics because the of the questions it looks to consider, most particularly, the implications of its theory on optimal government/central bank policy (e.g. taxation and fiscal expenditure and their impact on growth, unemployment, wealth and income distribution). Before starting university I had thought that many others would be like-minded, turns out your 'generalisation' is actually pretty apt, OP, most people on my course are focused on the end goal of a lucrative career and that's pretty much it.

I went to one Goldman presentation and was like 'yep, no, this is not for me', but it was the best attended careers presentation I've been to yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
I chose economics because the of the questions it looks to consider, most particularly, the implications of its theory on optimal government/central bank policy (e.g. taxation and fiscal expenditure and their impact on growth, unemployment, wealth and income distribution). Before starting university I had thought that many others would be like-minded, turns out your 'generalisation' is actually pretty apt, OP, most people on my course are focused on the end goal of a lucrative career and that's pretty much it.

I went to one Goldman presentation and was like 'yep, no, this is not for me', but it was the best attended careers presentation I've been to yet.

That's a shame. Hopefully you'll be one of the few that actually use economics and perhaps even further the study!
If young metro don't trust you...

...I'm gon' shoot you... :biggrin:
That's a shame. Hopefully you'll be one of the few that actually use economics and perhaps even further the study!

I'd love to, however my grades have taken a turn for the worst recently (2nd year - averaging just under a 2.1), my maths isn't my strongest quality and, as per the request of our course's graduate employers (a lot of finance-type organisations), our course is heavily maths based. I am looking at doing a masters so long as I can get a 2.1 (which I should be able to do by the end of third year), but I don't want to do straight econ as an MSc for the sheer quantity of maths I know it entails. Something at least a little bit normative (but built on well-grounded reasoning) and a little bit applied would be right up my street - currently considering Political Economy MA and Economic History MSc (I think).

Career-wise I'm on placement at an Economics research consultancy next year, which I hope will be fascinating. I'm looking to work in that sort of field as a graduate; either private sector research consultancy or in a government or central bank department/division as an economist. Money-wise I want to be comfortable, but I think that comfort also entails having some downtime and a life outside of work - which to me wasn't what finance offered, but there are a whole host of other reasons I don't think I'd be suited to finance, and I'm not knocking it for those who do have the right fit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pro Crastination
I'd love to, however my grades have taken a turn for the worst recently (2nd year - averaging just under a 2.1), my maths isn't my strongest quality and, as per the request of our course's graduate employers (a lot of finance-type organisations), our course is heavily maths based. I am looking at doing a masters so long as I can get a 2.1 (which I should be able to do by the end of third year), but I don't want to do straight econ as an MSc for the sheer quantity of maths I know it entails. Something at least a little bit normative (but built on well-grounded reasoning) and a little bit applied would be right up my street - currently considering Political Economy MA and Economic History MSc (I think).

Career-wise I'm on placement at an Economics research consultancy next year, which I hope will be fascinating. I'm looking to work in that sort of field as a graduate; either private sector research consultancy or in a government or central bank department/division as an economist. Money-wise I want to be comfortable, but I think that comfort also entails having some downtime and a life outside of work - which to me wasn't what finance offered, but there are a whole host of other reasons I don't think I'd be suited to finance, and I'm not knocking it for those who do have the right fit.

Definitely sounds like a good plan. Try to do your best in third year and land a 2.1 (or a 1st if you're super-ambitious) - The maths in Economics is all about understanding and practise - You can always use your spare time (e.g. between 2nd and third year) to catch up and you could also tell your uni about the areas making you question your confidence in Maths!

Yeah, I agree on the latter part. A career in finance is somewhere in my mind but it's not the plan at the moment. I've sat around sometimes thinking about how I would look back on my life when I'm old - knowing my whole career and majority of my youth was spent making some random business that nobody will remember richer. That's not to say a career in finance is bad! There's a reason it's competitive - money, status and prestige. But I think I can probably get the money I need through a more fulfilling way - I don't care too much for status and prestige.

Economics is so interesting though! I'm studying it at A-level at the moment (so my knowledge of the subject is very rudimentary compared to what you're probably studying!) - That said I have met some Economics undergrads who tutor others and they seem to not really understand the concepts which makes me question if they just reiterate a mathematical procedure and regurgitate some learned understanding to pass the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending