The Student Room Group

Politics and Economics courses

I’m a bit worried that at some universities this choice of degree won’t get you your moneys worth in terms of graduate salary, job opportunities etc.
Therefore I’m wondering at what universities would it be ideal to study Politics and Economics or related courses in order to either have really good graduate prospects/break even.
With the new changes to loans and sfe, a lot of opinions are that uni really isn't worth the money anymore. Obviously, Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick and possibly Durham are at the top for econ and politics (according to uni ranks) but do remember to get into a career involving econ or politics doesn't even require a degree.
Degree apprenticeships are also available although they're not usually available at top unis at an undergrad level.
Even if you do plan to apply to the top unis, it depends if you can achieve a first/ 2:1. Employers will look at what grade you graduated with and its a big factor they may look at so do consider whether going to a uni like LSE that is known to be notorious is a uni you think you can graduate with top grades.
Original post by jlocordner332
I’m a bit worried that at some universities this choice of degree won’t get you your moneys worth in terms of graduate salary, job opportunities etc.
Therefore I’m wondering at what universities would it be ideal to study Politics and Economics or related courses in order to either have really good graduate prospects/break even.

Well I think surely this is true with essentially all subjects, not just politics and economics? Some unis are better than others, therefore some are 'more worth it' than others.

I think the first point you really need to consider is that you've asked which are ideal for a politics and economics degree, in terms of graduate salary and job opps, but you've not said what you consider a satisfactory salary and job opportunities. Therefore, it's impossible for us to say which unis are likely to fit your desires, if you don't actually go into any details of what these are.

The second main thing to consider is whether you're more interested in a Politics & Economics degree, or a Economics & Politics degree. Some offer both and typically the subject that comes first is the 'major'. This can have implications for the modules you study, the skills you build and the careers the course best prepares you for. Also noting you haven't actually listed what sort of grad roles you'd even be interested in, so I'm not sure how you expect us to list the most appropriate courses for you?
Reply 3
Original post by jlocordner332

I would've thought Golden Triangle, Warwick etc
Reply 4
Would a joint honours be worse for graduate prospects than a pure Econ degree? And would there be universities where this doesn't matter as much? (i.e. what unis help with getting your foot in the door)
Original post by BenRyan99
Well I think surely this is true with essentially all subjects, not just politics and economics? Some unis are better than others, therefore some are 'more worth it' than others.

I think the first point you really need to consider is that you've asked which are ideal for a politics and economics degree, in terms of graduate salary and job opps, but you've not said what you consider a satisfactory salary and job opportunities. Therefore, it's impossible for us to say which unis are likely to fit your desires, if you don't actually go into any details of what these are.

The second main thing to consider is whether you're more interested in a Politics & Economics degree, or a Economics & Politics degree. Some offer both and typically the subject that comes first is the 'major'. This can have implications for the modules you study, the skills you build and the careers the course best prepares you for. Also noting you haven't actually listed what sort of grad roles you'd even be interested in, so I'm not sure how you expect us to list the most appropriate courses for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending