The Student Room Group

Should women who are forbidden from having a job due to religion be allowed benefits?

There are a lot of cultures and religions where women are not allowed to work as its untraditional and against the religious or cultural laws.
If that's the case then should they be allowed income support benefit to cover living expenses because they can't work? Ok they'd have to prove their religion forbids them from working and they'd be break in the laws of their religion if they did work. After all freedom to follow a religion is a human right. What are your thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Its usually culture - and no one gets culture.
Reply 2
No imaginary patriarch in the sky should interfere with how much tax I'm going to pay.
No they should not. Pop a few kids out like they do and there is little you can do unfortunately
Reply 4
No, believing in a bloke that lives on a cloud is no excuse to get money.
No, most certainly not.
Which religion states a women working is forbibidden??
And culture should bear no role in how much benefits someone gets, culture changes as do people
Reply 7
Well generally it's culture rather than religion which requires women to stay home with T eh children. However I was reading about how Ultra Orthodox Jews believe that the mother's role in raising the children is of utmost importance so they should stay home HOWEVER it then went on to talk about how the men should be the breadwinners so if they are making money then there should be no need to receive benefits
Nope they shouldn't.
Original post by Ambitious1999
There are a lot of cultures and religions where women are not allowed to work as its untraditional and against the religious or cultural laws.
If that's the case then should they be allowed income support benefit to cover living expenses because they can't work? Ok they'd have to prove their religion forbids them from working and they'd be break in the laws of their religion if they did work. After all freedom to follow a religion is a human right. What are your thoughts?

no .fu.ckin. way
Which "religion" bans women working? Sadistic OP, literally you're doing anything for REP or to start a fishy thread. :biggrin: And if that was the case, you either work and leave the religion. No benefits for yo.
Original post by Ambitious1999

No because the state decides what the eligibility criteria are for any benefits and trying to fall back on your religion doesnt count. o and look at Articcle 9 in the HRA and then you might not make threads such as this. There are no religions im aware of that say you shouldnt work. Care to point them out?
Nope
Original post by Oblivion99
Which "religion" bans women working? Sadistic OP, literally you're doing anything for REP or to start a fishy thread. :biggrin: And if that was the case, you either work and leave the religion. No benefits for yo.

The wahhabist religion forbids women from working, it even forbids them from driving. Their strict conservative wahhabists laws can prosecute the woman or her family in sharia courts , should these rules be broken.

So the point is should we expect people to break the law to work or refuse then any financial help if they choose not to break those laws?
No. Just because someone believes in a God that doesn't allow them to work doesn't mean that we need to waste taxpayer money. Everyone who can work needs to work.

I could just make up a religion that forbids me from working and requires me to live in a 12 bedroom mansion- so should the government give me a 12 bed mansion and a yearly salary? No
Reply 15
Absolutely not.
(otherwise I will start my own religion where men are not allowed to work)
No.

However in the case of divorce or being widowed, if they have children, they should certainly receive some sort of state welfare in the short term, if the community doesn't help.
Original post by 999tigger
No because the state decides what the eligibility criteria are for any benefits and trying to fall back on your religion doesnt count. o and look at Articcle 9 in the HRA and then you might not make threads such as this. There are no religions im aware of that say you shouldnt work. Care to point them out?

The wahhabist religion forbids women from working and even driving a car. I saw it on a documentary about Saudia Arabia
Reply 18
The stupidness in this thread makes me sick.

Can't think of any religion that says that women can't work.

It's culture, and culture can go and :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: itself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
What religion forbids it?
Waiting for an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending