The Student Room Group

Bartenders who hate their customers

I don't think they should be allowed the job and am confused why they aren't fired. There should be basic customer service requirements and they need to go to acting school or something.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being a thoroughly likeable chap, I can't say this is ever a problem I've encountered in the numerous public houses I have frequented.
Bartenders generally don't hate their customers, they just dislike having their time wasted by customers who take up an exorbitant amount of time when there are lots of other customers who need serving.
Tbh I only hate the ones who are rude or complete idiots. Things like waving money, banging drinks on tables, wanted to be served ahead of other people who have been waiting longer, moaning about prices, claiming I'm bad at my job if certain beers runs out, not looking at me while ordering drinks, holding hands out for change etc, will make me dislike that particular customer on that occasion. People who do it time and time again should learn to get some manners, in fact the bar manager in the pub in the next village will tell people off for doing it and if the behaviour doesn't stop they get barred.

Around 70% of customers I love at the local pub I work at, around 20% are rude but tolerable, the last 10% are downright idiots who if given the chance I would kick out.
(edited 8 years ago)
- I once had a guy come up to me and ask me what food I served. Upon being told "crisps, peanuts, or pork scratchings", he asked me for some "ready salted snacks". Which could mean any of those 3. Upon asking for specification, he merely repeated the phrase.
- Once had a guy pay for a half pint with a £50 note.
- Group of x amount of people walk in. They all order their drinks separately. It's called " a round". Make use of the concept and stop wasting my time.
- In contrast, asking me to remember 20 completely different drinks at one time is daft. I'm not the Enigma machine, I'm just a guy trying to make his way through the evening without caving someone's head in. Please bear that in mind before... oh god a stag party of 30 dudes just walked in.
- "Can I have a vodka and orange without the orange?"
"So, vodka."
"No, vodka and orange."
"Vodka and orange."
"Without the orange."
"..."
- I used to regularly have to deal with a guy who always insisted that the lager was flat. Every. Damn. Time. Even when the barrel had just been changed.

This is merely the beginning of the interactions I used to have on a regular basis with people who I'm surprised managed to find their way out of the house in the mornings without using Google Maps.

Hating on bartenders who hate their ****wit customers is moronic until you've experienced what drunk people are like from the other side of the bar.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
- I once had a guy come up to me and ask me what food I served. Upon being told "crisps, peanuts, or pork scratchings", he asked me for some "ready salted snacks". Which could mean any of those 3. Upon asking for specification, he merely repeated the phrase.
- Once had a guy pay for a half pint with a £50 note.
- Group of x amount of people walk in. They all order their drinks separately. It's called " a round". Make use of the concept and stop wasting my time.
- In contrast, asking me to remember 20 completely different drinks at one time is daft. I'm not the Enigma machine, I'm just a guy trying to make his way through the evening without caving someone's head in. Please bear that in mind before... oh god a stag party of 30 dudes just walked in.
- "Can I have a vodka and orange without the orange?"
"So, vodka."
"No, vodka and orange."
"Vodka and orange."
"Without the orange."
"..."
- I used to regularly have to deal with a guy who always insisted that the lager was flat. Every. Damn. Time. Even when the barrel had just been changed.

This is merely the beginning of the interactions I used to have on a regular basis with people who I'm surprised managed to find their way out of the house in the mornings without using Google Maps.

Hating on bartenders who hate their ****wit customers is moronic until you've experienced what drunk people are like from the other side of the bar.

I would've lost my **** at that lmao.
┬─┬ノ( º _ ºノ)
Is this really a problem?
Original post by navarre
Being a thoroughly likeable chap, I can't say this is ever a problem I've encountered in the numerous public houses I have frequented.

That just means you are a wet flannel who doesn't take offense to anything cause they ain't got no testosterone left.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
That just means you are a wet flannel who doesn't take offense to anything cause they ain't got no testosterone left.

On the contrary, people with higher levels of testosterone tend not to be offended quite so easily due to greater self confidence.
Original post by Drunk Punx

I totally get that a high percentage of people who frequent bars are total bellends... but if you hate them that much to rant so much, why still work there???
Original post by WoodyMKC
On the contrary, people with higher levels of testosterone tend not to be offended quite so easily due to greater self confidence.

People (like me) with an abudance of testosterone know exactly when to be offended and how to deal with it. We put a stop to bad behaviour quickly. The idea that taking offence is related to insecurities is ludicrous. It's a virtue to be offended by inappropriate behaviour and to put it right.
People (like me) with an abudance of testosterone know exactly when to be offended and how to deal with it. We put a stop to bad behaviour quickly. The idea that taking offence is related to insecurities is ludicrous. It's a virtue to be offended by inappropriate behaviour and to put it right.

Then again, what one deems to be inappropriate will be harmless behaviour to another person. Not saying people with high testosterone (how do you know this is you by the way, have you have bloodworks done? If so, what were your levels?) don't get offended, but the idea that it makes you "alpha" or a trait of having high testosterone to get defensive if someone threatens your ego is even more ludicrous.

FWIW, I go to a "hardcore" gym where a lot of the guys are injecting themselves with very large amounts of testosterone, yet they're some of the most laid back people you'll ever meet. Not saying they're gonna sit back and take any **** but, generally, they just take things in their stride.
Then again, what one deems to be inappropriate will be harmless behaviour to another person. Not saying people with high testosterone (how do you know this is you by the way, have you have bloodworks done? If so, what were your levels?) don't get offended, but the idea that it makes you "alpha" or a trait of having high testosterone to get defensive if someone threatens your ego is even more ludicrous.

You never get defensive. You need to play chess bro. Taking offense properly is done by attacking the offender, not defending against him or her.

FWIW, I go to a "hardcore" gym where a lot of the guys are injecting themselves with very large amounts of testosterone, yet they're some of the most laid back people you'll ever meet. Not saying they're gonna sit back and take any **** but, generally, they just take things in their stride.

Well that's not natural I can't really comment on it. Not sure if the testosterone they inject has the proper effects on the brain or whether it just works on the body. I imagine a natural testosterone increase causes your brain to change significantly as well as your body.
You never get defensive. You need to play chess bro. Taking offense properly is done by attacking the offender, not defending against him or her.

Well that's not natural I can't really comment on it. Not sure if the testosterone they inject has the proper effects on the brain or whether it just works on the body. I imagine a natural testosterone increase causes your brain to change significantly as well as your body.

Sounds like more of an estrogen-fuelled philosophy on it than anything :rofl:

Exogenous (injected) testosterone has just as much of an effect on the brain as its endogenous (natural) version, that's been well established. Hence why hypogonadism-related mental health issues are relieved upon administration of testosterone replacement therapy.
I went into a pub with my family once and at the bar we got served by possibly the grumpiest old dude (must've been in his 60s) in existence. It was actually funny to us, but if he hated people so much and couldn't fake pretending to care then he probably shouldn't have had the job really.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I went into a pub with my family once and at the bar we got served by possibly the grumpiest old dude (must've been in his 60s) in existence. It was actually funny to us, but if he hated people so much and couldn't fake pretending to care then he probably shouldn't have had the job really.

We have a guy like that in his mid/late 50's. It's actually part of his humour in the pub, although if you're not a local some people must think he's really rude. As far as I'm aware though most people seem to chuckle at it.

It's such an inside joke that if I cover his shift (sunday nights) people complain if I'm not grumpy enough :biggrin:
I totally get that a high percentage of people who frequent bars are total bellends... but if you hate them that much to rant so much, why still work there???

Money's money *shrugs*

Besides, free drinks :h:
Original post by DanB1991
Tbh I only hate the ones who are rude or complete idiots. Things like waving money, banging drinks on tables, wanted to be served ahead of other people who have been waiting longer, moaning about prices, claiming I'm bad at my job if certain beers runs out, not looking at me while ordering drinks, holding hands out for change etc, will make me dislike that particular customer on that occasion. People who do it time and time again should learn to get some manners, in fact the bar manager in the pub in the next village will tell people off for doing it and if the behaviour doesn't stop they get barred.

Around 70% of customers I love at the local pub I work at, around 20% are rude but tolerable, the last 10% are downright idiots who if given the chance I would kick out.

Where else is the change going to go?
I like bar staff most places, Ill admit I much prefer them up north/Scotland and in Irish pubs, where they are more upbeat, friendly and funny. Has anyone had this happen to them, for me with a few pubs in the south-east, places that already have a soulless cliquey feeeling(and don't ask me how but I know they are Tories), just have that horrible thing where they sneer at you or whisper to the server next to them, before you order. Then they give you this obsequious demeanour like 'hello sir / sorry sir' in their horrible east anglian accents, and pretend they didn't do it. It's some mind game. Yeah, but not a great fan of the smarmy ultra Tory(or even UKIP) counties anyway.
Never really have 'got it'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending