The Student Room Group

Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greys-anatomy
saying all muslims support ISIS is genuinely like saying all white people support the KKK or that all Germans support Hitler legit

Yeah , but all members of the falange party (Francos Spain) were definitely not all bad but they all sign up for stuff that other people would consider bad. Likewise you can see Islam as a falange fascist party (it does not make you bad, but the party itself can be considered bad)
Reply 41
Original post by Anonbabes
Basically islam tells the wife to have sex when her husband asks to prevent him from doing haram. However, I'm sure a guy isn't allowed to physically beat her up.

The wife can say no but give valid reason eg on period.

I'm not that knowledgeable on this topic tbh

That verse is very easy to search up, people just aren't bothered to do it and will instead take only one line out of the Quran.
There's a lot of info about that verse and how it came about etc.

I would explain and share it but I'm busy and it's quite explicit, so I'm sure people can do it in their own time.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
When was this?

I think it was on that german girl raped thread. Where @nucdev spoke to me about Hinduism. He should remember.
Original post by FredOrJohn
From a psychological point of view mothers and daughters who chose to wear veils etc as a sign of "purity" and "niceness" leads to significant numbers of their brothers and fathers to view women who do not wear these veils as sexual predators or worse whores (see numerous examples from around the world).

Thus Muslim women who chose to wear veils are endangering other women (I believe statistically variably so) .

I believe in solidarity, giving in and wearing a veil, is not showing solidarity to your sisters who are struggling against patriarchy.

There "sheria law" - don't even go there.

Don't they have the right to wear the hijaabif they choose to? I wear the hijaab and people are absolutely fine with it. I guess it's your opinion but I believe it's their right to do so. It's not harming anyone else. All we do is cover ourselves in modesty because that's what we believe in. But remember, it's not just us. There are Christians who do this too. People seem to think that it's only Muslims but it's not.
Yeah , but all members of the falange party (Francos Spain) were definitely not all bad but they all sign up for stuff that other people would consider bad. Likewise you can see Islam as a falange fascist party (it does not make you bad, but the party itself can be considered bad)

That depends how you approach it, like how you approach any subject. If you look at something having already made up your mind, you're less likely to accept anything or even to understand it. And sure, people do think of it as a bad thing but maybe it's they way they approach it or the way it has been presented to them (like in the media) or maybe they've seen bad examples of Muslims
Original post by kiransohail
Don't they have the right to wear the hijaabif they choose to? I wear the hijaab and people are absolutely fine with it. I guess it's your opinion but I believe it's their right to do so. It's not harming anyone else. All we do is cover ourselves in modesty because that's what we believe in. But remember, it's not just us. There are Christians who do this too. People seem to think that it's only Muslims but it's not.

I've under lined the bit I disagree with.
I believe that you are , by your actions, encouraging, some of your fathers and brothers, to view women who do not wear this stuff, as sexual predators or worse whores.

Perhaps see what goes on in Egypt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_sexual_assault_in_Egypt

You say other religions also wear this type of clothing and I would respond that the results will be the same.
Reply 46
I want you to be honest.
I'm not going to verbally abuse you or anything.
I just want honest reasons for why people hate Islam. I know WHY in some cases. But if you are against our religion, is it because you don't understand it? Or that you don't have any other examples of Muslim to prove what the media say about us wrong?

I admire you for trying to create dialogue with non-muslims, we need more attempts like this if we are to progress.

I have a question for you and would be very interested to hear your opinions.

What do you feel, if any, are the negative aspects of your religion?

Do you feel like there is any truth at accusations thrown towards your religion, such as it encourages certain acts?

DM me if you don't wish to publicise your thoughts.
That depends how you approach it, like how you approach any subject. If you look at something having already made up your mind, you're less likely to accept anything or even to understand it. And sure, people do think of it as a bad thing but maybe it's they way they approach it or the way it has been presented to them (like in the media) or maybe they've seen bad examples of Muslims

I'm not sure what a made up mind is. But are you saying because you are a Muslim you have a "made up mind"? If so what was the point of the thread.

I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a "made up mind" otherwise what would the point of having elections every 4 years. The "made up mind" counter argument is trash.
I am a muslim but I accept that some people don't agree with this faith and don't believe in religon whatsoever. I understand what the Qur'an says but some people choose to follow it and some don't. I don't hate homosexual people and have close friends that are homosexual. I understand what the Quran says but keep my views to my self and leave offensive comments to my self, and I certainly don't try to change who they are. If you don't like something, don't make other people feel awful about themselves. I think people should be free to live life happily and make there own choices. However this does not mean I support ISIS, I despise them. They have no right to do what they are doing; they believe that God told them to kill others because they have sinned or something like that. No person has any right to torture or end a life, especially not them. I also despise how people; like them, talk in the name of faith and dirty the name. Islam does not hate people it is what people have percieved Islam to show. Also despite what the Quran says I don't believe that women are any less than men, I live in a home where me, my and sisters are all treated equally. Also if you wanted you understand someones view on something or someone don't then say it is pathetic or incorrect or make fun of it. It is what they believe so respect that and try and understand yourself. Furthermore I don't judge someone on their beliefs but on their personality and attitude.
Basically if you think or believe something nobody is stopping you, share it to the world if you want, but please think of other people. If it may offend someone keep it to your self.
Hopefully I didn't offend anyone. These are just some of my views!
I see we're picking the parts of the Qur'an which does cause controversy (which I can totally understand) but what about the 'nice' parts?
Be good to parents, relatives, orphans, and the needy. Speak kindly and pay the poor-due. 2:83
'Do not fight wars of aggression. 2:190' - Can we even consider ISIS to be fighting 'in the name of Islam' if they go against this key principle?
'Help orphans and don't steal from them'. 4:2, 4:10
"Kill not one another." 4:29 *Lmao does ISIS even know what they're 'fighting' for smh*
'Whoever kills a human being, it is as if he had killed all mankind. Whoever saves the life of one, it is as if he had saved the life of all'. 5:32
'Feed and clothe the needy. Set a slave free'. 5:89
'Help your family, the needy, and wayfarer. Don't selfishly squander your wealth'. 17:26
Quran (2:223) - "Your wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will..."

Not a Muslim, but that verse doesn't mean what you think it means...
Hello

i am an atheeest. This mean i am an extremely rational being who doesnt believe in the existence of god. I like science - this mean i have disproved existence of god. I believe there should be no religion - we should be all be similar monotonous people. this is because i am soooooooo rational - i love the science - of course, if you havent guessed- im an atheeeeest
i am also a very liberal being free thinker because im an atheeeest
Original post by Penpenpen
I am a muslim but I accept that some people don't agree with this faith and don't believe in religon whatsoever. I understand what the Qur'an says but some people choose to follow it and some don't. I don't hate homosexual people and have close friends that are homosexual. I understand what the Quran says but keep my views to my self and leave offensive comments to my self, and I certainly don't try to change who they are. If you don't like something, don't make other people feel awful about themselves. I think people should be free to live life happily and make there own choices. However this does not mean I support ISIS, I despise them. They have no right to do what they are doing; they believe that God told them to kill others because they have sinned or something like that. No person has any right to torture or end a life, especially not them. I also despise how people; like them, talk in the name of faith and dirty the name. Islam does not hate people it is what people have percieved Islam to show. Also despite what the Quran says I don't believe that women are any less than men, I live in a home where me, my and sisters are all treated equally. Also if you wanted you understand someones view on something or someone don't then say it is pathetic or incorrect or make fun of it. It is what they believe so respect that and try and understand yourself. Furthermore I don't judge someone on their beliefs but on their personality and attitude.
Basically if you think or believe something nobody is stopping you, share it to the world if you want, but please think of other people. If it may offend someone keep it to your self.
Hopefully I didn't offend anyone. These are just some of my views!

I strongly disagree with the bit I have underlined.
If someone believed in "North Korea-ism" I would definitely judge them. Or if they believed that women or men were second class I would judge them.

Most people say "take personality OUT of politics" and I think what you are doing to trying to make Islam a SOCIAL religion but it is, by its actions a POLITICAL religion and thus should be judged by BELIEF and not by PERSONALITY... Its not a tea party or the womens institute or the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides(if it was it would not be a problem).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
That verse is very easy to search up, people just aren't bothered to do it and will instead take only one line out of the Quran.
There's a lot of info about that verse and how it came about etc.

I would explain and share it but I'm busy and it's quite explicit, so I'm sure people can do it in their own time.

Plz PM and explain when free
I strongly disagree with the bit I have underlined.
If someone believed in "North Korea-ism" I would definitely judge them. Or if they believed that women or men were second class I would judge them.

Most people say "take personality OUT of politics" and I think what you are doing to trying to make Islam a SOCIAL religion but it is, by its actions a POLITICAL religion and thus should be judged by BELIEF and not by PERSONALITY... Its not a tea party or the womens institute or the Boy Scouts or Girl Guides(if it was it would not be a problem).

But then define belief. Maybe i was being too vague. I don't mean to say they are awful vile people ir they are right or whatever. We should learn to understand why they think that, but what i was trying to outline line that nobody should ever be judged soley on one action, percepective, opinion, who they support in the government. And quite frankly we will only juge someone as we meet them or by word of mouth or media, it is human. I want to say that nobody will ever have all knowledge of anything. Nobody will have the same information and if they do they will interprit it differently. There will be disagreements and agreements.

Basically, guys go enjoy life and embrace what is dicovered and experienced because life is limited.
Original post by hilrho
Btw I'm not anon - just thought I'd share my 2 cents as a recent bisexual-jewish-model-who-recently-walked-the-runway-practically-topless convert to this 'heinous' religion everyone seems to hate and fear :biggrin:

You've converted? :eek4:
Original post by Penpenpen
But then define belief. Maybe i was being too vague. I don't mean to say they are awful vile people ir they are right or whatever. We should learn to understand why they think that, but what i was trying to outline line that nobody should ever be judged soley on one action, percepective, opinion, who they support in the government. And quite frankly we will only juge someone as we meet them or by word of mouth or media, it is human. I want to say that nobody will ever have all knowledge of anything. Nobody will have the same information and if they do they will interprit it differently. There will be disagreements and agreements.

Basically, guys go enjoy life and embrace what is dicovered and experienced because life is limited.

Certainly, no one could disagree with what you are saying because its a truism, its not really controversial. However, if this thread had a title of "Mormonism" or "New Labour" or "Buddhism" I would still come out with the bits that I do not like about it. If you start a thread on your "BELIEF" you probably should expect people who do not believe it to say what they think and do not accuse them of being brain washed by the TV or media. The whole "veils" debate was looked at strongly by Christianity in the 1960s from all sides. And the net result was "veils/hats were considered anti-feminist". It was not a closed mind, it was a decade of debates.
Reply 57
Original post by Hydeman
You've converted? :eek4:

I have indeed my SexyMonkey!😘 If you want to know the story go and visit Queen Bee's VM.
It condones the punishment of gay people
It believes in the murder of apostates
It says somewhere in the Quran that if a wife denies a husband sex she can be cursed
Rape in marriage is ok apparently
Girls get less portions than boys
Girls are advised to cover up because apparently the man can't control himself.
And the day Kim K becomes a nun will be the day Islam becomes compatible with Western culture

I could go on.

*gets popcorn

Always the same argument. Do you have it copied and pasted for things like this hun? 😂😂😂
Original post by Tyreke
I admire you for trying to create dialogue with non-muslims, we need more attempts like this if we are to progress.

I have a question for you and would be very interested to hear your opinions.

What do you feel, if any, are the negative aspects of your religion?

Do you feel like there is any truth at accusations thrown towards your religion, such as it encourages certain acts?

DM me if you don't wish to publicise your thoughts.

As a Muslim, I believe the worst aspect of my Religion is the terrorism; and how people justify it in the name of Islam. I was about 8 years old when i was approached by a teacher who asked if i like bombs and called be a terrorist. I dont understand? Me, my mum, my family havent done a single thing to hurt anyone yet people call us disgusting names ect.
Tbh; the stuff about homosexuality is true because in the Qur'an it does say that however this doesnt mean thats all Muslims believe against it because the younger generation are becoming more accepting but the older generation are too stuck in their ways. I like to think of myself as a Liberal Muslim who believes tht everyone has a right to live as they please.

If you have any question; feel free to quote me or DM me x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending