The Student Room Group

Islam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
It condones the punishment of gay people
It believes in the murder of apostates
It says somewhere in the Quran that if a wife denies a husband sex she can be cursed
Rape in marriage is ok apparently
Girls get less portions than boys
Girls are advised to cover up because apparently the man can't control himself.
And the day Kim K becomes a nun will be the day Islam becomes compatible with Western culture

I could go on.

*gets popcorn

Why do you specifically pick on Islam to hate tho? all the things you listed are present in Christianity and Judaism....
waiiit. what about christianity and judaism. no hate there. they literally say the same thing. im sorry, but the media has got to your head :/
Please come off anon and tell me that. If you're so proud of what you're saying, say it loud and proud, not hiding behind some anon function sweetheart.

And I've read the Quran and still didn't agree with it so I have my reasons.

The translated version? C'moonn
oh and did you read it fully or just quit two sentences in?
It says somewhere in the Quran that if a wife denies a husband sex she can be cursed
Rape in marriage is ok apparently
Girls get less portions than boys
Girls are advised to cover up because apparently the man can't control himself.
And the day Kim K becomes a nun will be the day Islam becomes compatible with Western culture

I could go on.

*gets popcorn

Says the Hindu.
:angel:

If the objection to religious text that exposes messages like that in your post then we also need to kick out practising Jews , Hindus, probably Christians and god knows what else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
you don't identify with Muslims?

I identify with muslims in the same way I identify with christians, atheists, jews, hindus, taos whatever - we're all human beings and creation of allah in our own journey to allah (whether we believe in him or not) and that's the end of it.

Original post by RobML
What compels you to identify as Muslim

I've said why previously.

Original post by RobML
In what way do you interpret things differently? The "laws" regarding sexual relations are pretty unambiguous and explicit

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly there are no laws so I don't see that as a valid question anymore.

It's funny how people think shariah is a bunch of laws like a constitution or something and you either follow it or you get jailed or in this case the presumption is stoned, beheaded, jailed, tits chopped off or hands chopped off or however people think it works.
Original post by hilrho
Ever consider the fact that maybe I have a different interpretation and therefore don't see myself contradicting it

I'm afraid I'm with RobML on this one. :holmes:

Spoiler

Original post by Hydeman
I'm afraid I'm with RobML on this one. :holmes:

That's cool I always knew we differ when it comes to religious views and that's okay :smile:

Original post by Hydeman

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 147
Original post by anisahaha
islam gives women no rights? :unimpressed::colonhash: lol what a load of bs

According to your interpretations of the Qur'an women seem to be worth nothing yet they are so highly respected that paradise lies under the feet of each mother! ما شاء الله !

Seeing as we're dishing out verses, why don't you read this one, or quite a few for that matter

Genesis 3:16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

It would be interesting to compare most major faiths teachings. I think many people who claim to be of some faiths would be shocked to see some of the obscure parts of the key texts of their religion.
Reply 148
Original post by hilrho
I identify with muslims in the same way I identify with christians, atheists, jews, hindus, taos whatever - we're all human beings and creation of allah in our own journey to allah (whether we believe in him or not) and that's the end of it.

I've said why previously.

Firstly there are no laws so I don't see that as a valid question anymore.

It's funny how people think shariah is a bunch of laws like a constitution or something and you either follow it or you get jailed or in this case the presumption is stoned, beheaded, jailed, tits chopped off or hands chopped off or however people think it works.

How do you explain the discontinuity between those religions of what God is and wants of us?

I'm not speaking about earthly laws, rather what God has shown is right and wrong through his word in the Quran.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 149
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I own and have read the Quran. I have discussed and listened to so many arguments, justifications and various points of views. I have known many pleasant muslims.

Conclusion: Islam is an insidious religion, an anathema to liberal secular values that the world would be so much better off without

Have you read the whole of other texts such as the Bible, and I mean in the original languages used? Also how can a religion which allows anyone to read its teachings be insidious...
Original post by RobML
How do you explain the discontinuity between those religions of what God is and wants of us?

I'm not speaking about earthly laws, rather what God has shown is right and wrong through his word in the Quran.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that's the thing I don't see the Quran as a book of ethics - I see it as a book of wisdom. And yes there is a distinction between the two. Think about it.
Reply 151
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Rubbish. This is often claimed, but no evidence is ever provided. Children were not biologically more mature back then, in fact, all the evidence suggests that the age of puberty for girls has been decreasing over time, i.e. back then girls would have probably reached puberty later on average. In no time era is a 9-year-old physically or mentally mature, let alone for marriage and sex with a man old enough to be her grandfather.

I think your missing the intended point. Which was, I think, to explain that this was considered normal then.
Reply 152
Original post by hilrho
But that's the thing I don't see the Quran as a book of ethics - I see it as a book of wisdom. And yes there is a distinction between the two. Think about it.

Wisdom needs to be of something (just as in knowledge doesn't exist on its own; it's always knowledge of something), ethics being one of those things in regards to religious texts. If the Quran contains nothing about right and wrong (ethics), then how are we to know how to act in accordance with God? If God doesn't care how we act, then we can't act in accordance with him. If that is the case then religion is reduced to nothing to a story of the world/universe- it would have no bearing whatsoever on how one lives their life. The same is true if right and wrong exist but are not communicated by God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RobML
Wisdom needs to be of something (just as in knowledge doesn't exist on its own; it's always knowledge of something), ethics being one of those things in regards to religious texts. If the Quran contains nothing about right and wrong (ethics), then how are we to know how to act in accordance with God? If God doesn't care how we act, then we can't act in accordance with him. If that is the case then religion is reduced to nothing to a story of the world/universe- far from a way of life. The same is true if right and wrong exist but are not communicated by God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting

Hili, not even gonna bother with the rest, but could you please provide proof for 1. punishment of gay people and 2. murder of apostates

Taa
Original post by RobML
Wisdom needs to be of something (just as in knowledge doesn't exist on its own; it's always knowledge of something), ethics being one of those things in regards to religious texts. If the Quran contains nothing about right and wrong (ethics), then how are we to know how to act in accordance with God? If God doesn't care how we act, then we can't act in accordance with him. If that is the case then religion is reduced to nothing to a story of the world/universe- it would have no bearing whatsoever on how one lives their life. The same is true if right and wrong exist but are not communicated by God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what absolute nonsense
Original post by dudeeeeeee123
this thread is ridiculous ya'll really don't know ****, i'm not a Muslim, but studied it properly (2nd year Uni) PPE for anyone that cares, serious though its acc sickening ya'll really don't know ****,

Wow - thanks!. That is the first time any of my posts have got an emotional response. I'll have to link to the movie Cabaret again .

(And correct by the way, i have never read any Islamic literature and very few of my mates come from an islamic background (some do, but not that many)).

Thanks for the feedback

(ps if you said you knew Christianity because you studied it in your second year I'd think you would be a bit of a laughing stock - so one assumes some muslims might think you're taking the pisssssssssssss).
(edited 7 years ago)
Did muhammed even exist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .ed..
I think your missing the intended point. Which was, I think, to explain that this was considered normal then.

Not at all, Muhammad is supposed to be a perfect example for all times, not just a role model for his own era.
Reply 159
Original post by dudeeeeeee123
what absolute nonsense

What a convincing argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending