The Student Room Group

IAL Edexcel Physics Unit 1 24th May 2016

Hey Guys! I've been looking for a thread for Physics Unit 1 from a very long time but couldn't find any so I made one myself.
You can post your doubts here and I hope this helps
Good Luck!

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sitting Edexcel IAL Physics unit 1 exam but I am sitting the regular Edexcel A Level Physics unit 1 exam.

Hope the best to everyone. :smile:
Best of luck to everyone, I appeared for Unit 1 IAL Physics in January and grabbed an A.

Feel free to tag/quote me, if you require any help.
Reply 3
I was also looking for a discussion as I'm writing the exam on the 24th...Thanks for making one!
Reply 4
Original post by SaadKaleem
Best of luck to everyone, I appeared for Unit 1 IAL Physics in January and grabbed an A.

Feel free to tag/quote me, if you require any help.

I'm new soo i don't know wether i posted this right...anyways was wondering if u could help me with this question?Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 18.24.48.png
Original post by Sulzaae
I'm new soo i don't know wether i posted this right...anyways was wondering if u could help me with this question?Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 18.24.48.png

They're asking for the "maximum" possible speed, and the seat is going down, this is only possible if all the GPE of the seat, is converted into K.E.

GPE=KE

The seat is going 0.6m downwards, as it goes from the high end to the low end.

At this stage, I'd recommend you to try solving it yourself, and you can check the solution by opening the spoiler:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SaadKaleem
They're asking for the "maximum" possible speed, and the seat is going down, this is only possible if all the GPE of the seat, is converted into K.E.

GPE=KE

The seat is going 0.6m downwards, as it goes from the high end to the low end.

At this stage, I'd recommend you to try solving it yourself, and you can check the solution by opening the spoiler:

Spoiler

Thanks bro... i understood how to do it
Reply 7
Guys, which topics do you reckon they'll base the longer questions on? I'm thinking a difficult forces/vectors/mechanics related question because that wasn't exactly there in Jan16
Original post by ARP1234
Guys, which topics do you reckon they'll base the longer questions on? I'm thinking a difficult forces/vectors/mechanics related question because that wasn't exactly there in Jan16

I'm just praying that nothing to do with scale drawing or anything related
with a freaking protractor. (Im rubbish at it)

Idm any others ....

I'm guessing that there might be a high chance of any experiment write ups
or something of that nature turning up. :eek:
Original post by Sulzaae
I was also looking for a discussion as I'm writing the exam on the 24th...Thanks for making one!

No problem :")
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

Idm any others ....

I'm guessing that there might be a high chance of any experiment write ups
or something of that nature turning up. :eek:

I think they'll give a very difficult question for mechanics with more M1 concepts
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I always thought those were 'free' marks lol.
Reply 12
Helloo :smile:
I'm doing AS physics and i'd been looking for the answers to the ExamZone questions in the red physics textbook, for forever.
A friend recently forwarded them to me so i thought i'd share them with all of y'all :smile:
Not sure if they've been posted on a thread earlier but i thought i'd post them anyway since the Unit 1 Edexcel physics exam is coming up and it's extra practice for someone like me that's resisting :frown:
Happy studying :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone got any helpful resources?

Good luck to everyone btw!
I hate the physics exam because of one thing and its the mark scheme, like you write an answer explaining so deeply and in the end the answer is just 2 words. Like how the hell shall I know if you want a deep explanation or just 2 words explanation
Reply 15
Original post by Hamadtype-
I hate the physics exam because of one thing and its the mark scheme, like you write an answer explaining so deeply and in the end the answer is just 2 words. Like how the hell shall I know if you want a deep explanation or just 2 words explanation

Use the marks of the question as a guide. If the question says it 2 marks then only two ideas are sufficient, but you know its edexcel, they accept one answer a year and reject the exact same thing in the next one. So its better to explain what you are writing properly, just dont take any risks.
Can someone please help me with understanding this:
Why does a graph of current against resistance look like this (for a variable resistor kept at constant temperature):

I know current is inversely related to resistance but why does it curve the way it does?
(Q7, multiple choice, january 2012, unit 2)
(edited 7 years ago)
Someone ask me a hard A physics question/a question you're stuck on. I'll be happy to help and it'll be good practice for me, too.
Reply 18
are unofficial mark schemes posted on tsr for all exam units?
I sat for jan 2016 paper , i thought i would have higher mark as i felt after discussing the answers that i am going to achieve A or at worst case B as i used to achieve high marks at school and pastpapers but unluckily i got an E , i felt confidant before the exam and after until the moment that i took my result , i felt sorry and angry , i think the reason goes to the idea that the paper was all written answers not a question the depend on solving however i am asking about your advice and the way you studied for the paper

Quick Reply

Latest