The Student Room Group

Graduate school?

My university called me today an asked me if I wanted to join the graduate school. I said no because I wanted to chill out and see where life takes me. Though do you believe graduate school is worth it. I am studying BS: studio and digital arts: graphic design. So my next step would be to receive a MFA.
Is it worth it or beneficial? Or a Waste?
What I would advise you to do, is look at the career profiles of the people you aspire to be like and judge it form there. You won't learn what you need to be a graphic designer at bachelor level, post-grad courses teach you how to do the job in most cases, some industries require it as a minimum.

Google "your country name, job title, linkedin" and check out the education history in the results, base your thoughts on what you find on that. I don't there is likely to be anyone on TSR who can give you an answer based on experience and 9/10 they would be guessing or giving parallels from another industry type as I will.

I did a BSc in Geology, and there is no way I could get into some entry level jobs without a masters in engineering geology or geotechnical engineering. Whilst the same cannot definitely be said for digital arts and graphic design, I would imagine a strong portfolio would trump someone with a masters and no portfolio. That being said having a masters will always be beneficial and would only bring positives to your life, you can always learn more and improve - look at the course modules and industry engagement, does it involve a project with industry? Would you learn techniques you otherwise wouldn't have known about?
Original post by geolowiser
What I would advise you to do, is look at the career profiles of the people you aspire to be like and judge it form there. You won't learn what you need to be a graphic designer at bachelor level, post-grad courses teach you how to do the job in most cases, some industries require it as a minimum.

Google "your country name, job title, linkedin" and check out the education history in the results, base your thoughts on what you find on that. I don't there is likely to be anyone on TSR who can give you an answer based on experience and 9/10 they would be guessing or giving parallels from another industry type as I will.

I did a BSc in Geology, and there is no way I could get into some entry level jobs without a masters in engineering geology or geotechnical engineering. Whilst the same cannot definitely be said for digital arts and graphic design, I would imagine a strong portfolio would trump someone with a masters and no portfolio. That being said having a masters will always be beneficial and would only bring positives to your life, you can always learn more and improve - look at the course modules and industry engagement, does it involve a project with industry? Would you learn techniques you otherwise wouldn't have known about?

Might be worth calling a few employers who hire graphic designers (assuming that's the area you want to go into) and straight up asking them their thoughts. The university will tell you to do it because it's in their interest, people on TSR don't know as it's a rarity to find a well experience person in your exact position with the title "graduate school" as graphics designers aren't likely to click on it more-so than an astrophysicist.

There is no reason not to call, they won't being like why are you calling this is stupid. They won't mind and if anything would like the opportunity to pass on a little advice - call them up and ask whether they think a graduate degree in your area is worth it rather than starting in the industry a year earlier. If I was an employer, I would always take the better educated person over the lesser, unless there is a lot of experience in it.
Reply 3
Original post by geolowiser
Might be worth calling a few employers who hire graphic designers (assuming that's the area you want to go into) and straight up asking them their thoughts. The university will tell you to do it because it's in their interest, people on TSR don't know as it's a rarity to find a well experience person in your exact position with the title "graduate school" as graphics designers aren't likely to click on it more-so than an astrophysicist.

There is no reason not to call, they won't being like why are you calling this is stupid. They won't mind and if anything would like the opportunity to pass on a little advice - call them up and ask whether they think a graduate degree in your area is worth it rather than starting in the industry a year earlier. If I was an employer, I would always take the better educated person over the lesser, unless there is a lot of experience in it.

Okay thanks so much for all the advice I'll call up a couple of graphic design businesses and see what they say. Though most in my area are family owned hopefully that doesnt make a difference 😊
Original post by Ndaz
Okay thanks so much for all the advice I'll call up a couple of graphic design businesses and see what they say. Though most in my area are family owned hopefully that doesnt make a difference 😊

Hope it helps! Family owned ones would be easier to talk to as you wouldn't need to battle your way through secretaries and other gatekeepers, you need to talk to the lady/guy who is in charge of hiring etc. Don't forget to google "graphic design linkedin" to check the career profiles of successful graphic designers, check out their education history and see how many people did vs didn't and what their positions are etc. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending