The Student Room Group

Applying for a premed US school as a French student

Hello
First of all,
I am a 19 year old French student,
I just graduated from high school last year and I am on my first year of medical school in the well known French university called La Sorbonne, located in Paris.

Since I can remember my dream was always to become a doctor, but not only that, it was to become one in the US.
At the time it seems far fetched and just too far in time to be thinking about it.
So I went through high school dealing with personal issues, going through changes but my dream to become a doctor didn’t waver.
I graduated from high school, send my application to a French university and got accepted.

What I didn’t know , because I did not do enough researches , is that for someone graduating from a foreign high school, it is quite a challenge to study medical school in the US.
I didn’t wait and started googling for some information.
I found out that I need a lot of things (requirements , gpa , mcat etc it still unclear to be honest), to build my file in order to apply for premed school.
After much thinking , I stopped going to university since I knew that being a doctor in France was never what I wished for.

The reason why I just talked about myself is that I know that it is not and easy path to chose and that it is even harder for someone like who graduated from a foreign high school.
So what I wish to learn , I what I need to do, step by step, the requirements I need to full fill , the deadlines for premed schools in the US etc, in order to be accepted.

It is quite a long message but I hope that you will be able to provide me with answers.
There is no such thing as "premed school" in the US. You can be a premed at any university in the US.

The concept of "premed" exists because in the US medicine is a graduate only degree, so you need an undergraduate degree. Additionally (most) medical schools require students to take a set of classes colloquially known as the "premedical curriculum". This is generally 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of maths (usually calculus and stats or sometimes just 2 semesters of calculus), and 4 semesters of chemistry (2 semesters general chem plus usually either 2 semesters of organic chemistry or 1 semester organic chem and 1 semester biochem).

So you just need to apply to any US university and once you start you can express your interest in being premed to your advisor and they can advise you on which courses to take (normally, although you should also check for yourself and not wholly rely on the advisor).

The biggest challenge is financial. University in the US is extremely expensive, and medical school in the US is also very expensive. How are you planning to pay for it? There is very, very little funding for international students.

In terms of deadlines they're just whatever the usual deadlines for each college is. You normally apply to colleges directly but can also apply through the Common App for multiple at once that use it. Different colleges have different deadlines and some have rolling admission so may consider applications at any time of the year. Generally the most competitive colleges (which incidentally are the best option for funding for international students) have deadlines around December to January.

In any event US colleges have guides on how to apply on all of their own webpages.
Original post by artful_lounger
There is no such thing as "premed school" in the US. You can be a premed at any university in the US.

The concept of "premed" exists because in the US medicine is a graduate only degree, so you need an undergraduate degree. Additionally (most) medical schools require students to take a set of classes colloquially known as the "premedical curriculum". This is generally 2 semesters of biology, 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of maths (usually calculus and stats or sometimes just 2 semesters of calculus), and 4 semesters of chemistry (2 semesters general chem plus usually either 2 semesters of organic chemistry or 1 semester organic chem and 1 semester biochem).

So you just need to apply to any US university and once you start you can express your interest in being premed to your advisor and they can advise you on which courses to take (normally, although you should also check for yourself and not wholly rely on the advisor).

The biggest challenge is financial. University in the US is extremely expensive, and medical school in the US is also very expensive. How are you planning to pay for it? There is very, very little funding for international students.

In terms of deadlines they're just whatever the usual deadlines for each college is. You normally apply to colleges directly but can also apply through the Common App for multiple at once that use it. Different colleges have different deadlines and some have rolling admission so may consider applications at any time of the year. Generally the most competitive colleges (which incidentally are the best option for funding for international students) have deadlines around December to January.

In any event US colleges have guides on how to apply on all of their own webpages.
Thanks For your response .
As for the fees , my father got money so am okay on that category

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending