The Student Room Group

racism and anti-westism is caused by social fixation

A topic gets stuck in a groups mind and every news item, even if only very vaguely linked to the fixation causes more and more reinforcement in the mind set of the group.

Take for example racism before 9/11, it was basically anti-west Indies. People used to fixate on the crime in the Caribbean to explain crime waves here.

Then suddenly 9/11 and the whole fixation with the Caribbean was replaced with Islam, which is continually reinforced by news items.

One feels, that this fixation has also gone bi-directional. Many people of an Islamic heritage are fixated on being anti-western.

However, looking at 9/11, the 'cure' to social fixation if a big shock, that moves a fixation from one group to another.

So what the world really needs is an alien invasion, or global warming, or something on a huge scale that brings everyone together - perhaps a pandemic.

If you start a pro or anti islam thread on tsr you probably are fixated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FredOrJohn
A topic gets stuck in a groups mind and every news item, even if only very vaguely linked to the fixation causes more and more reinforcement in the mind set of the group.

Take for example racism before 9/11, it was basically anti-west Indies. People used to fixate on the crime in the Caribbean to explain crime waves here.

Then suddenly 9/11 and the whole fixation with the Caribbean was replaced with Islam, which is continually reinforced by news items.

One feels, that this fixation has also gone bi-directional. Many people of an Islamic heritage are fixated on being anti-western.

However, looking at 9/11, the 'cure' to social fixation if a big shock, that moves a fixation from one group to another.

So what the world really needs is an alien invasion, or global warming, or something on a huge scale that brings everyone together - perhaps a pandemic.

If you start a pro or anti islam thread on tsr you probably are fixated.

It is an interesting view.
Reply 2
Original post by ODES_PDES
It is an interesting view.

Its probably a widely held view, hence the press try to keep race and religion out of crime stories as much as possible. This can backfire though, as once someone is fixated they assume whatever the crime is that the group that they are fixated on must have done it. If the "facts" do not fit then they will say the government is lying or such (eg you will get many people who will deny that 9/11 even happened).
Reply 3
Racism against blacks has not lessened with racism towards Muslims.
Reply 4
Original post by Maker

Disagree 100%.

It used to be commonplace (eg "no coloureds" in ads or football chants) now its way rarer, if ever.

So I would say there is massive proof (often photographic and video) that proves you totally wrong.

I mean just think of the logistics. If a person who is also racist is spending so much time attacking Islam (due to fixation) how much time is there left to be racist? I mean there is only 24hours in a day, even for right wing nut jobs.

Likewise if an Islamist is spending so much time being anti-western how much time does he or she have left to mouth of racist stuff as well?

The biggest gainers, clearly have been the west indian and irish people who no longer have such a problem, thanks to 9/11 - perhaps the only benefit of 9/11 has been the improvement in relations with Irish and West Indian people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Make Earth great again.
Its probably a widely held view, hence the press try to keep race and religion out of crime stories as much as possible. This can backfire though, as once someone is fixated they assume whatever the crime is that the group that they are fixated on must have done it. If the "facts" do not fit then they will say the government is lying or such (eg you will get many people who will deny that 9/11 even happened).

Source for someone who denies that 9/11 happened please.

I deny that there is such a person alive.
Reply 7
Original post by DrLovejoy
Source for someone who denies that 9/11 happened please.

I deny that there is such a person alive.

Sure there are loads of these theories.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14665953
(or a TSR example, there was a chap on the islam thread who stated that that the deaths were "a few hundred" - I suspect he actually believes it too)

Taking it further there has been an increase in racism. This is due to the "Shock" of the EU debate and mass migration. People have been racist towards eastern europeans and they in turn have, to some extent, been racist to immigrant peoples within the UK.

This "low level" racism, however, I would suggest (I might be wrong) is pretty minor compared to peoples dislike of islam as a result of all the events over the past 20 years. But they would be, in my opinion, MASSIVE, if it was not for the extreme right wing be fixated by islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Maker

Yes and no.

The people that hate blacks havent stopped hating blacks, but there's only so much time in a day and so they have to prioritise and focus their hatred where it's most needed. Right now, that's muslims.
Reply 9
Disagree 100%.

It used to be commonplace (eg "no coloureds" in ads or football chants) now its way rarer, if ever.

So I would say there is massive proof (often photographic and video) that proves you totally wrong.

I mean just think of the logistics. If a person who is also racist is spending so much time attacking Islam (due to fixation) how much time is there left to be racist? I mean there is only 24hours in a day, even for right wing nut jobs.

Likewise if an Islamist is spending so much time being anti-western how much time does he or she have left to mouth of racist stuff as well?

The biggest gainers, clearly have been the west indian and irish people who no longer have such a problem, thanks to 9/11 - perhaps the only benefit of 9/11 has been the improvement in relations with Irish and West Indian people.

Lol this.

Basically point I made.

As you said, even for racists only 24 hours in a day.
Reply 10
Alright guys lets go burn down the Amazon rainforest :colone:
maybe that will fix everything
fight fire with fire init

the thing is tho what about cancer and HIV and all the incurable diseases that have spread all over the world? that didn't work to bring us together...

If I was an alien i would NOT come here for sure :rofl:
Original post by Nidhoggr
Lol this.

Basically point I made.

As you said, even for racists only 24 hours in a day.

Lmao wtf kinda racists are you lot speaking to then? Trust me there are people who can mutlitask their hatred...I mean the gov't did it repatriating or sending Pakistanis out, at least trying to, back in like the 70s, 80s right here in England, brother. Meantime racist skinheads were kicking black peoples heads in too.
Reply 12
Original post by 0to100
Lmao wtf kinda racists are you lot speaking to then? Trust me there are people who can mutlitask their hatred...I mean the gov't did it repatriating or sending Pakistanis out, at least trying to, back in like the 70s, 80s right here in England, brother. Meantime racist skinheads were kicking black peoples heads in too.

That is a good point, I guess you are refering to the the "Rivers of Blood" speech made by Enoch Powell - which, branded as racist did give the Conservatives an extra 1.7 million votes.

This is the speech:

"
As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding. Like the Roman, I seem to see 'the River Tiber foaming with much blood'. That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the 20th century. Only resolute and urgent action will avert it even now.
"

I take your point, Powell and the conservatives back in the 1970s were more racist.

But in a sense, that proves my point. 1970s were miles more racist towards Africans than post 9/11 and reason is Islamists. Who in 2016 in the Conservative party blames black people for anything, all the attention is on Islam.
Racism against blacks has reduced dramatically since the 70s, 80s and even the 90s.
Actually a fixation on racism and Islamophobia are problems today. Islamophobia is trumped up and defined essentially as not liking or respecting Islam. While there are a few who go too far especially after terrorist incidents it's not so many nor so severe. We're really seeing a lot of histrionics and favoritism with this. The left in fixating on Islam spending huge amounts of effort on propaganda spread throughout institutes and even taught to children and in prohibiting freedom of speech or slandering those who speak out have made the problem far worst. The left campaign against "Islamophobia" has not been in the name of fighting genuine attacks on Muslims but exaggerated and inflated attacks. In fact the definition of Islamophobia according to the left's publications is literally a thought crime. Essentially the whole Islamophobia campaign has been hijacked solely to improve the image and influence of Muslims.

Actual racism, sexism, etc have long been in decline and these days you have few real incidents of these things. A lot of modern efforts against these things have been chasing ghosts and paranoia or simply absurd.

I definitely don't believe that 911 causes any real change in perceptions of black people. It did definitely boost the lefts fixation on Islam however. I do wonder who is funding all those pro-Islam lobbyist groups. Probably the same country that funded 911. Saudi Arabia ahem.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending