The Student Room Group

IAL Edexcel Physics Unit 1 24th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OnTheHorizon
Sorry then I don't really see another thread :frown:

Its kl, no problem.

Just asking are threads allowed on the same day after the exam? because people may not have done the exam yet...

Do the exam board disqualify people for posting on threads immediately after the exam?
Original post by Rumpelstiltskin_
Its kl, no problem.

Just asking are threads allowed on the same day after the exam? because people may not have done the exam yet...

Do the exam board disqualify people for posting on threads immediately after the exam?

No,They can't disqualify you for that.Threads ARE allowed on the same day but it's usually a few hrs after the exam just in case if it starts late or something happens.
No,They can't disqualify you for that.Threads ARE allowed on the same day but it's usually a few hrs after the exam just in case if it starts late or something happens.

Thanks for re-assuring me dude, i got worried for a minute because I created a thread after the exam today...
how you calculated the work done in the question of the boat , and what is the value , and how about the question below the one asking for power , wht i did is calculated the the big squares under the graph and multiply by 25 and divide by 2 so i got 550
and for power i took 500/(24*60) is it correct
i didnot felt that the time was enough
Reply 85
Original post by katenell
how you calculated the work done in the question of the boat , and what is the value , and how about the question below the one asking for power , wht i did is calculated the the big squares under the graph and multiply by 25 and divide by 2 so i got 550

I don't know if your answer is right.

Here's what I did:
Number of strokes per second: 24/60 = 0.4
Work done per stroke: 500J

Power= Energy*Time= 500*0.4= 200W
for EDEXCEL AS unit 1 paper for physics today, please comment on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65117267&highlight=

would really like to know if anybody has an unofficial mark scheme
Original post by IAROX15
I don't know if your answer is right.

Here's what I did:
Number of strokes per second: 24/60 = 0.4
Work done per stroke: 500J

Power= Energy*Time= 500*0.4= 200W

you are wrong check the rule power + energy/time
Ok so today's paper then!
Here are my answers, feel free to check me and add any I miss!

•The rose petals olympics question;

Copper: because it is ductile and therefore can be beaten into shapes plus it is resistive to high Temps
Steel: because it is tough and therefore won't break under the stress of the weight.

•The spider question:

I used the weight of the spider plus the weight of the fly times gravity to find the acceleration.

•Car Spring Question:

I argued that a stiffer spring would be dangerous on a bumpy road causing it to bump and tumble which could lead to injury.

•Hammock Question:

I resolved the vectors and received a value of around 617N. Some people got 643 so I'm not sure!

•Tennis ball Question:

I measured the length of the image with my ruler and argued that since the ball falls the vertical distance in 1/20th of a second and because we know gravity to be 9.81 adding to that my measurement , we could calculate the distance the ball fell between X And Y.

•Rower Question:

I drew rectangles underneath the graph and then added them all up to give me an approximate value for the amount of work done.

•Viscosity Question:

I talked about plotting a graph of radius against flow rate and then using the gradient to confirm a value for the viscosity!

Well these Are the parts I remember! What about you?
Original post by SpoodleDoodle

Copper: because it is ductile and therefore can be beaten into shapes plus it is resistive to high Temps
Steel: because it is tough and therefore won't break under the stress of the weight.

•The spider question:

I used the weight of the spider plus the weight of the fly times gravity to find the acceleration.

•Car Spring Question:

I argued that a stiffer spring would be dangerous on a bumpy road causing it to bump and tumble which could lead to injury.

•Hammock Question:

I resolved the vectors and received a value of around 617N. Some people got 643 so I'm not sure!

•Tennis ball Question:

I measured the length of the image with my ruler and argued that since the ball falls the vertical distance in 1/20th of a second and because we know gravity to be 9.81 adding to that my measurement , we could calculate the distance the ball fell between X And Y.

•Rower Question:

I drew rectangles underneath the graph and then added them all up to give me an approximate value for the amount of work done.

•Viscosity Question:

I talked about plotting a graph of radius against flow rate and then using the gradient to confirm a value for the viscosity!

I wrote copper is malleable now that i think back not so smart i did the flow rate thing too but with v others told me they used stokes law for i got 643 N
I thought the paper was really tough
Original post by SpoodleDoodle

•The spider question:

•Car Spring Question:

•Hammock Question:

•Tennis ball Question:

•Rower Question:

•Viscosity Question:

almost similar answers about hammock question it is solved as
( 84*9.81 ) to find weight then use this value and 54*9.81*cos (40)

in question of spring in car i said for the applied force the stiffer spring would have lower extension so higher value for k so more stable the car would be compared to original spring ( the question told you that stiffer spring is used in racing car ) this is my answer and this how i solved it btw good luck

rower question do you mean you calculated the area under graph ?
i have got 550 (44*25*0.5) 44 are the big rectangles * how many small square ) i donot know if this true

Thats correct
Is there a thread for the other physics unit 1 paper? I think the unit is called 6PH01/01

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are few tough questions as well as many easy questions, so I hope I can still get a desired grade.

Power is wrong.
Power is wrong.

how should it be solved and what is the final result ?
Power is wrong.

is the workdone correct ?
is the workdone correct ?

Didn't do it.
how should it be solved and what is the final result ?

Work done for one stroke into 24.Then divide by 60
Reply 99
Hey brother.......
I think you can see the gradient of the graph is decreasing but this doesnt make much sense since the gradient of the graph doesnt give us any quantity.
The graphs that you are supposed to know are the shapes of V-I and I-V graphs for diode,filament lamp,Light dependent resistor,and the Thermistor

The gradient of a graph of 'V' against 'I' is resistance (r)
Always read the gradient.... to know whether its increasing or decreasing

g=r
ie, as gradient increaess,resistance too increases

But the opposite, in the case of I-V graphs be very careful since gradient of graph is 1/r

g=1/r so when gradient increases, resistance decreases

You dan meet this question in MCQ's alot...... its really important because theory questions require this reasoning and concept tooo.....
So Goodluck, I hope I made it clear
Goodluck and all the best :smile:
-Harin

Quick Reply

Latest